Premed 101 Forums

interviewing so late....

Guest siobhansiobhan

Guest siobhansiobhan

Hi moo, and others who might know:

I've finally got a med school interview! I'm so excited. It's in the States, at a school that takes a few foreigners/canadians each year. I looked at the last few years of classes, about one from canadian school background per year.

When I interview as a Canadian, does it matter to the same extent that I'm interviewing late? Given that the school takes so few...

This school seems a pretty awesome match for me, as i look into their literature more and more...

The chances are technically one in eight after interviewing, but maybe the real chances are a bit different since i'm coming from a-foreign.

What's the deal on late interviews?

Siobhan

Guest VwDubber

unfortunately you're going to be at a disadvantage b/c it's already soo late in the interviewing season. the amount of disadvantage depends on the actual school and largely whether they are rolling or non-rolling. for rolling schools, you'll be at a larger disadvantage b/c a large part of their class is going to be full at this point. that doesn't mean it can't be done!

g'luck

Guest thats hot99

what school is it??

in my opinion, being canadian probably won't really matter at this point... the fact that they are interviewing you means they don't particularly care. but i agree w/what vw said in that the lateness of the interview is what may be the issue. but either way.... the class isn't full since they are still interviewing, so good luck!!

Guest siobhansiobhan

The school is Albany Medical College -

Thanks, zipzappy :)

Their focus is on teaching ethics hand-in-hand with the curriculum, and developing doctors who can tailor approaches to individual situations - i was actually quite relieved to read some of the ethics journals talking of evidence-based medicine as something other than the best thing since sliced bread. My background is women's studies, and heavy on the qualitative approaches, so cool to find a place that is on the same wave-length. Also, by the literature (websites, people's reviews of the interviewing process, etc) the atmosphere is very collegial, and emphasis is put on that. Also, emphasis put on societal level roles for doctors, and health.

Anyway - I got an interview as soon as my application was reviewed, it just wasn't reviewed until February (I submitted in November, after august scores were released and amcas was submitted, and all that).

I like the match to this university, the land must be beautiful around there, with the adirondacks and catskills. And, I am so excited! It's been three years of increasing prep while I apply to more and more schools as I was able. This is the first year I have an interview, the first year post-mcat.

I just hope I can hold it together and be myself! I keep thinking ahead to how badly I want to be matriculated, and then focusing on how exciting an interview process is.

So, in terms of chances, I know I am a good match for this school. I'm also applying as a Canadian, and they have about one person in their class per year where their previous degrees are granted by canadian institutions. They put on the website that they consider foreign students if 'exceptional' - puff up! puff up! anyways, not a huge percentage of each class is foreign.

any more feedback, knowing which school?

Siobhan

Guest zipzappy

Siobhan, I don't know anything about this school, but I really would like to give you a big hug for getting this far!

I have my fingers crossed for you!

Goodluck,

-Zp

Guest thats hot99

well... i actually don't know much about albany. sorry. BUT from what i gather on SDN, they seem to very selective about who they invite for interviews..... so this is a good thing! just from reading your post, you sound very enthusiastic about the school, so just let that come out in your interview.

good luck! you'll have to let us know how it goes....

Guest lovelyladylumps

Hi Siobhan,

Congratulations on your interview! This might seem a little weird (because I have yet to meet anyone else in Canada with an interview in the States), but I also have an interview at Albany Medical College. When did you schedule your interview for? It would be great to be able to hang out (and get lost) with a fellow Canadian while in Albany.

Cheers,

Lovelyladylumps

P.S. Do you know anything about how international students are supposed to pay for tuition at AMC? Are we required to pay all 4 years up front? I'm a little concerned about that (and have bought a lottery ticket in the hopes of solving that problem!).

Guest siobhansiobhan

I've just read the congrats, and i'm happy :)

Zipzappy - yeah!

Lady -

Wow, that is weird, both of us eh? I only hope that this is the year they accept two canadians - let's give 'er!

I booked the March 09, morning sessions. Then it's down to new york with my partner for that weekend.

Where are you, in Canada?

Siobhan

Guest lovelyladylumps

Hey Siobhan,

I am in Toronto (a grad student at U of T). I booked my interview for March 30 because I have a ton of stuff to do before then (interview at Dalhousie--my only Canadian invite so far, committee meeting, conference). It's too bad I won't be seeing you in Albany. I wish you the best of luck at your interview, though! Seriously, if they only accept one Canadian, I hope it's you (because I have NO idea how I would pay for it). Oh, and have a great time in New York (a.k.a. the greatest city in the world). While you're there, you should really try to see the musical "Avenue Q". Trust me (even though you have no idea who I am)...it's the funniest thing you'll ever see. I'm laughing just thinking about it.

-Lady

Guest QuestionMan23213

hey guys, i also applied to albany (pretty late in October, and they processed everything about a month ago) but i havent heard anything yet. When did they inform you about interviews and was it via email? When i wrote to admissions in the summer this is what the person said (below) so there may be more than 1 canadian per year. Also do you guys mind sharing your stats?

Good luck and thanks!

Dear Prospective Applicant,

We do not have any particular number of seats reserved for non citizens. On average, each entering class has between 2-5 non citizens (in a class of 137-138).

Many of our applicants choose to take the August MCAT. It does not have any negative impact on your application.

Our average GPA is 3.5 overall, with a 3.4 in the sciences. MCAT averages are as follows:

Verbal Reasoning 9.8

Physical Sciences 9.7

Bio. Sciences 10.3

We do not have a separate listing for non citizens. However, non citizens are held to a higher standard in all areas. We suggest that you project from the above numbers, to determine if your application would be competitive.

Thank you for your interest in the Albany Medical College.

AMC/College Admissions

Guest lovelyladylumps

Hey QuestionMan,

Here are my (not-so-impressive) stats:

Undergrad GPA: 3.30

Graduate (M.Sc.) GPA: 4.0

MCAT: 9V, 12B, 12P, Q

I'm thinking I must have had good extracurriculars, AMCAS essay, and/or letters of reference because I obviously didn't get chosen for an interview based on my GPA (although in my defense, my GPA improved every year: 2.8, 2.94, 3.55, 3.90, then 4.0 in grad).

My interview invite from Albany came in the form of an e-mail on Friday, February, 24th, and I will be interviewing on March 30th.

Good luck with your applications!

Guest siobhansiobhan

I've deleted my stats -

Basics - lower end of gpa, higher end of mcat, non-trad applicant.

I felt a bit exposed in a forum where most are incognito, but I use my name...and high traffic across this site. Those of you who were meant to read this probably already have, :)

Siobhan

Guest queenstri

sweet...that makes 3 of us canadians that have gotten an interview.

looking at the MSAR, there were only 16 last year...so that's a pretty sweet honour.

even if I don't end up getting accepted, the interview process should be enlightening, it's my first one this year, after a long string of rejections.

good luck!

oh...stats:

gpa: 3.3-3.4ish...never actually calculated properly.

MCAT - 11V, 12P, 12B, O

i'm thinking maybe extra curriculars played a role too.

Guest siobhansiobhan

Hi Queenstri -

I'm down there this week, Wednesday night, then Thursday....March 8/9

When are you going?

O.k. More formal stats:

ba arts

3.4 - 3.55 AMCAS

Grad, arts - 3.8 amcas

mcat ps 9 vr 13 bs 12 ws S

extra stuff,

and reference letters apparently play a big role,

and essay

that's neat to know the stats of canadians interviewed.

we would probably all get along if we met - the school apparently picks for a kind of person, and it ain't gpa!

i hear ya about the long string of rejections.

Siobhan

Guest queenstri

Hi Sio,

i wish i could go down earlier, but i have 7 major tests/assignments due this upcoming week, 3 the next, and 5 the week afterwards. So my soonest oppertunity is going to be april 6th. the end of april works better, but the rolling admissions thing scared me away from interviewing at the end.

is this your first interview?

are you doing the homestay with the students?

i'm thinking that reference letters and extra curriculars play a role for sure. although...apparently they do at calgary as well, and i got rejected from there...so who knows? :P

best of luck next week, let us know how it goes!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest queenstri

anyone have any idea how long albany waits after your interview before contacting you RE: acceptance? their website says that they meet the following tuesday, but do you get an email offer? or snailmail?

p.s. sio...hope the interview went well!

Guest siobhansiobhan

Well, I heard some interesting stuff that I'd like to share -

They meet tomorrow for my cohort (last week's interviews). Usually that's when the decision is made, but sometimes delayed for a week if lots of interviewees on the agenda...

There are three categories - accepted immediately (get email by the end of that week, home mama!) rejected (no email, lots of waiting, finally a snail letter. if decision is delayed a week etc, will think it is this category, yukyukyuk). Then, the one that albany has a lot on, because they are conservative in their admissions while still interviewing, is the 'waitlist' - which turns into accepted, rejected or waitlisted later on. so, on studentdoctor.net, what's used is the 'wall of fame' (accepted) the 'wall of shame' (rejected) and the 'wall of lame' (waitlisted). Whenever letters come in, folks stick them up on the boards - makes a person feel better, too, seeing all the rejections pile up! not so lonely...

Now, this is interesting. aprox 7,300 applicants this year up from 6,500 last year. Interview invites went down from 660 last year to 600 this year. And, 300 offers of acceptance are made. So, one in two, post-interview. Not bad, eh? However, I'm not sure exactly how those decisions are made, i.e. what it means to be a cdn applicant. Just like the others? Or decided separately???? Not sure. Does time-line mean anything? like, is the competition stiffer right now? is it really one in two?

Now, on to my story. I am on the edge of my seat! I'm not the smoothest in interviews. I hope I'm accepted. wishwishwishwish, hopehopehopehope. What a trip to be interviewed! Some things that don't translate into States talk too easily: in Canada, trying year after year is considered a character trait. In the States, it brings attention to you, because it is not as hard for an american to get in, so not as many try for three years running! Usually only a second year for june applications, i think. Remember, too, that anywhere outside of residency in Ontario is easier as well - much easier.

Also, in many states, the first year university sciences are for beginning level. that means that our first-year science courses are harder, and require pre-req highschool, which was only recently offered as uni courses here. in the states, many don't do h.s. prereqs because they don't need to. other little 'lost in translation' things, too, -

in the States, mileage is still in miles, that whole 'switching over to metric' thing is still only a rumour. 120 to Albany is most certainly miles from new york city. pretty, but longer than an hour!

Best wishes to everyone else. I'm thinking of you too, QuestionMan. We'll make it.

Siobhan

one more edit: in the states, it is common for folks to have lots of interviews, and to have been interviewing for a few months at least, now. so, that's another lost in trans'n.

Guest queenstri

sounds like you had a pretty good trip.

did you have 1 or 2 interviews? i've also heard the 50:50 stat before as well for their interviews.

relaxed interview? or pretty uptight? i did a mock one with a prof this morning and got absolutely grilled...pretty stressful, even for a mock interview.

how many students do they actually take each year? i thought it was somewhere about 130...do 170 actually turn down the school? wow.

thanks for all the info...glad to hear it went ok! wishing you the best!!!

Guest siobhansiobhan

yeah,

that many people turn down the offer. this is quite common for all schools for anything! there are many reasons to jostle position, and that is what happens.

two interviews. relaxed.

check on studentdoctor.net for reviews of interviews. it's a tool that many people use, and could be helpful.

siobhan

• 1 month later...

Hey, i'm a canadian that also interviewed there on Thurday the 13th. I had the same experience....2 interviews...very relaxed. They tour and stuff was a little disorganized though. I met 3 other canadians there as well so it seems like they interviewed quite a few. They told me that they'd let me know in a week. You guys must've heard back already....is it good news or bad news?

Guest queenstri

still waiting...i interviewed on the 9th...it's good friday this week though, and easter monday, which i think are both stat holidays (?)...

didn't think the interviews went super well though...first one was good, second dude was writing the whole time, threw me off...we'll see what happens. won't be the end of the world though if it's a negative.

good luck!

Guest siobhansiobhan

I wasn't successful.

I have a telephone appointment set up for this coming week to find out which part was weakest. I have a feeling that the way i interview is part of it. I have another interview coming up in the states, so i'll get to use the feedback.

All the best -

hey that's too bad. Interviewing definately takes practice. You should try to go for mock interviews if possible. They really helped me. I guess teh best adivise i got was to use a lot of examples rather than general statements. Hope your next one goes well

Archived