Premed 101 Forums

Naq Scoring 2014/2015

Hello,

I got a lot messages regarding my NAQ score (~33). I'm going to say what I PM'd to people and answer any questions in this forum so everyone can benefit. 

In, short, the biggest thing I can tell you is I had a theme to my work; I was always passionate about youth involvement in civic duties growing up and that's what I spent most of my time on. I had volunteer work based on that (probably a few activities at least just focused on my interest for youth-related work). I did a lot of work with the city and local youth organizations- I went outside my comfort zone (campus clubs) and worked from small scale and worked up to larger scales. I never got scholarship or award for my work- my awards section was blank. I also work/volunteer as a photographer professionally + solid, themed 5 years of research work (again, no awards). Best comment regarding my ECs would be that I had focused themes and my activities demonstrated that. The reviewers are not robots nor are they people spending 10 hours on your application. You need to tell a good story. If you want a more elaborate response, contact me via PM. Some of you I spoke with have awards, scholarships, and are "leaders". But the important thing is the narative and how you present yourself. A common mistake I found was people presented themselves as "premed" rather than "potential physicians". You're not applying to become a medical student. You're applying to become a physician; that's what they want.

In my humble opinion (I got rejected, some people may think I have no "right" to discuss this), it's not important to focus on each EC activity; it's more about the theme. I'm certain the reviewers don't spend hours, let alone several minutes on the apps. They're looking for keywords, themes, and commitment to your work.

Again, more than willing to help others for future. PM me with specifics if needed. 

Hope I helped. To the fellow rejects, I send you my best wishes for future applications and my 100% support with your application. To the invitees, may you conquer medicine and become the best of physicians you can be.

Thanks

Sorry to hear about your rejection. Out of curiosity, are you an undergraduate student? Graduated?

Can anyone confirm that one application reviewer views one applicant's entire application? If so, then I agree that painting a picture about yourself filling a physician's shoes would really hold a lot more weight than just listing activities.

Sorry to hear about your rejection. Out of curiosity, are you an undergraduate student? Graduated?

Can anyone confirm that one application reviewer views one applicant's entire application? If so, then I agree that painting a picture about yourself filling a physician's shoes would really hold a lot more weight than just listing activities.

graduated '13. MSc in Neuro (2015 expected)

90% certain it's one reviewer for entire application

Alright, thanks for sharing. NAQ is this mysterious thing, but I think it comes down to having long term commitments outside of school. In the other thread, it's been suggested that research doesn't have much weight, but it feels like research, while certainly admirable, is still within the confines of education. From the standpoint of an admissions committee, who appears to be a better doctor: A student who spends all their spare time in the lab or a student who spends all their time helping in homeless shelters and providing assistance in youth counseling? My two cents.

They're looking for keywords, themes, and commitment to your work.

As someone who's done application reviewing for an organization, I can completely 100% vouch for the truth of this statement. When I was reviewing apps there was simply no time to read every single information and scrutinize their "conceptual" meanings. I was constantly looking for keywords and themes. I knew who I was looking for the job, and I looked for people who SHOWED in their resume that they have the respective qualities. 

It may sound unfair, but remember that you are who you are perceived to be in this competitive process, so the wording and flow of your application is literally just as important as your actual deeds. 

Interestingly, my job was completely youth based in the non profit area. I was able to interact with 100s of youth and coordinated an entire canada summer jobs project by myself in several different ridings around Toronto (ended up on news/media as well) so I was very happy with the outcome of the proccess. 

I think what it comes down to, is finding what intrinsically interests you and then mastering it, taking it to levels that no cookie cutter applicant would. I became infatuated with the youth project. The only reason I was able to play such a huge role was due to my dedication, which the organization had never seen before. I've left the organization as a manager now because I'm planning to start my own youth project.

@ishaquea, thank you for sharing your insight and I hope you the best in your other applications. I am sure you will get in somewhere. 

EDIT: one huge tip (on top of everything said by ishaquea) that I can give is to first identify one thing that you are passionate about. The adcoms know you are applying to become a doctor so having hospital or research experience is not really setting you apart from any of the other thousands of applicants. Show the adcoms who you are through a theme. Find that one thing you would selflessly commit to (in my case it was youth) and own it. 

As someone who's done application reviewing for an organization, I can completely 100% vouch for the truth of this statement. When I was reviewing apps there was simply no time to read every single information and scrutinize their "conceptual" meanings. I was constantly looking for keyboards and themes. I knew who I was looking for the job, and I looked for people who SHOWED in their resume that they have the respective qualities. 

It may sound unfair, but remember that you are who you are perceived to be in this competitive process, so the wording and flow of your application is literally just as important as your actual deeds. 

Interestingly, my job was completely youth based in the non profit area. I was able to interact with 100s of youth and coordinated an entire canada summer jobs project by myself in several different ridings around Toronto (ended up on news/media as well) so I was very happy with the outcome of the proccess. 

I think what it comes down to, is finding what intrinsically interests you and then mastering it, taking it to levels that no cookie cutter applicant would. I became infatuated with the youth project. The only reason I was able to play such a huge role was due to my dedication, which the organization had never seen before. I've left the organization as a manager now because I'm planning to start my own youth project.

@ishaquea, thank you for sharing your insight and I hope you the best in your other applications. I am sure you will get in somewhere. 

Appreciate your input.

Again, many of you guys are in a better academic situation than me, I'm certain you guys will succeed. Do not fret, y'all are young brave souls. Help each other out. Don't get overly competitive at which point you hurt your chances and others as well. Ask for help to review your applications.

It sounds so cliche typing it out, but it is 100% true: follow your passions when it comes to NAQ related work, your application will develop itself, just trust in the process and yourself.

Can anybody tell me what type of experiences a student with average NAQ score at UBC has? I have 2 years of volunteer experience in the same position working with youths, worked part time customer service jobs on and off in my undergrad at UBC, worked as a TA during my graduate studies at UBC, have experience in research in undergrad and graduate level, received multiple awards throughout my time at UBC, committed 10+ years to music education (I have certificates for RCME piano/flute, music history, music theory). Is my non academic experience less than average? My NAQ score was very low... any suggestions will help! 

• 4 months later...

Hello,

I got a lot messages regarding my NAQ score (~33). I'm going to say what I PM'd to people and answer any questions in this forum so everyone can benefit. 

In, short, the biggest thing I can tell you is I had a theme to my work; I was always passionate about youth involvement in civic duties growing up and that's what I spent most of my time on. I had volunteer work based on that (probably a few activities at least just focused on my interest for youth-related work). I did a lot of work with the city and local youth organizations- I went outside my comfort zone (campus clubs) and worked from small scale and worked up to larger scales. I never got scholarship or award for my work- my awards section was blank. I also work/volunteer as a photographer professionally + solid, themed 5 years of research work (again, no awards). Best comment regarding my ECs would be that I had focused themes and my activities demonstrated that. The reviewers are not robots nor are they people spending 10 hours on your application. You need to tell a good story. If you want a more elaborate response, contact me via PM. Some of you I spoke with have awards, scholarships, and are "leaders". But the important thing is the narative and how you present yourself. A common mistake I found was people presented themselves as "premed" rather than "potential physicians". You're not applying to become a medical student. You're applying to become a physician; that's what they want.

In my humble opinion (I got rejected, some people may think I have no "right" to discuss this), it's not important to focus on each EC activity; it's more about the theme. I'm certain the reviewers don't spend hours, let alone several minutes on the apps. They're looking for keywords, themes, and commitment to your work.

Again, more than willing to help others for future. PM me with specifics if needed. 

Hope I helped. To the fellow rejects, I send you my best wishes for future applications and my 100% support with your application. To the invitees, may you conquer medicine and become the best of physicians you can be.

Thanks

Hello guys. Been MIA for a while, sorry. I promised some of you that I will provide some tips regarding apps and a lot of you contacted me via PM. I'm going to be making a post either here or UofC page for ECs and my experience with them. Please let me know if there's anything specifically you'd like answered. 

Thanks!

I think NAQ is really a crapshoot... I got 37 NAQ from UBC last year and had the same activites with same wording for UofC application and received 1% to 55% percentile in all of my non academic traits... (that's from the bottom percentile). 

Yeah, different schools look for different traits.

I think NAQ is really a crapshoot... I got 37 NAQ from UBC last year and had the same activites with same wording for UofC application and received 1% to 55% percentile in all of my non academic traits... (that's from the bottom percentile).

Also the applications have entirely different formats so using the same wording probably didn't work in your favour.

Same thing happened to me and Alberta. ~25 at UBC (which is average if standardized) while I got like 4 at UofA (max is 15 I think?)

Also the applications have entirely different formats so using the same wording probably didn't work in your favour.

Yes but to have gone from 37 (which is way above the average) to literally bottom 1% for one of the traits is ridiculous. I really wonder how that works...

Wording difference doesnt change what I actually did, and to have wording make the that much difference.. well might as well be looking for marketing applicants..

Yes but to have gone from 37 (which is way above the average) to literally bottom 1% for one of the traits is ridiculous. I really wonder how that works...

Wording difference doesnt change what I actually did, and to have wording make the that much difference.. well might as well be looking for marketing applicants..

If you had gotten bottom 1% for the majority of categories, I'd agree with you. But just one? Different schools want different things, that's all. Also ubc doesn't breakdown your score so maybe all the points you 'lost' on your ubc app (the 13 remaining out of a possible 50) so you wouldn't know.

I agree that it's subjective, I just don't think it necessarily means that the schools disagree completely about you, or that one is wrong.

Sorry that happened to you though.

Archived