Premed 101 Forums

Canadian citizens -US fees?

Guest zipzappy

Guest zipzappy

Guys,

The Keck School of Medicine at USC states on its web site: Canadian applicants are considered the same as U.S. applicants. All policies that apply to U.S. students apply to Canadian students.

Before I write to the school directly, what does this mean? does it mean that Canadian students are charged the same fee as US students?

Do you know any other med schools where Canadian citizens are charged the same tuition as US citizens?

Thanks,

Zp

Guest Kirsteen

Hey there,

I'm not sure about their policies about tuition, but it probably refers at least to the admissions process, i.e., Canadian students will not be considered as foreign students. (The admissions policies for foreign students are often quite different and sometimes there is a limit as to the number of seats that are available in a class for foreign students.)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Madz25

In regards to tuition, Canadian students pay the same fees as out-of-state US residents. If it's a state school then the fees will be higher than what the in-state residents pay, but if it's a private school, then everyone pays the same tuitioin fees.

Madz

Some privates actually are paid by the state to enroll x number of state residents. As a result, state residents may pay lower tuition. The problem for Canadians come from securing loans from the federal government (not eligible without at least PR). Don't be scared off by the price tag--the Canadian mentality is that everything should be paid for them. The American mentality looks at education as an investment. Everyone who graduates will be able to repay their loans. (Even those who do primary care)

Not sure if this is true for medical schools, but my Canadian friend is attending a state law school (one of the UC's), and after the first-year, he was considered a in-state resident and only had to pay in-state tuition.

Guest Madz25

That isn't possible at all of the state med schools, only some of them.

SUNY was one place I was told that out-of-state residents could pay in-state fees after first year but I don't know if that was true for Canadians as well.

Madz

Guest jaegwon

Unfortunately international students don't qualify for in-state tuition at SUNY Upstate like the out-of-staters...so Canadians are on the hook for the full amount.

Archived