Premed 101 Forums

Hello everyone!

I am re-applying into Pharmacy this year here at the University of Saskatchewan. I don't have the strongest GPA so I'm counting on doing exceptional on the Test of Critical Skills/Personal Profile. If anyone has any tips or resources on how to prepare for the TOCS/PP, please do share!

We can also use this to discuss anything related to the College of Pharmacy at the University of Saskatchewan.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm out of province and I am applying there as well. Not sure about my GPA when it comes to U of Saskatchewan off the top of my head but it is decent (>3.5). Nevertheless, I am OP so I need it as high as it can be. I'm a bit worried when it comes to the Test of Critical Skills/ Personal Profile Test. I'll share as much info as I can about the Test that I can get my hands on. 

Cheers. 

Good luck everyone!

Hey guys!
I'm glad you started this forum - definitely a good idea to share stats and such. I currently go to UofA and I'm thinking of applying this year into pharmacy at UofS! My pre-req GPA is around a 3.4, and my overall GPA is around a 3.5. What do you guys think my chances are? :(
I'm worried about the test of critical skills/personal profile too! Do you guys have any ideas how we should be preparing/studying for it?
Thanks so much & good luck with your studies!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Pharmgirl111, your chances are not bad as of right now, just make sure to do the best you can on the Test in March. There's more info on it on the website if you haven't already read it: http://www.usask.ca/pharmacy-nutrition/programs-undergraduate/prospective-undergraduate-students.php

In terms of prepping for it, I feel like you need to approach each one of the sections differently. The test of critical skills is obviously going to involve some critical thinking and you writing a piece in response to an issue that's not directly related to the field of pharmacy. Perhaps, look through an MCAT or PCAT book and practice the writing responses from there?

As for the personal profile, you probably need more insight into the pharmacy field and yourself especially so you can answer to questions such as "Why do you think you'd make a good pharmacist?"

These are my two cents. The Critical Thinking skills test and the personal profile are pretty important imo, it can either make or break your application.
If anyone comes up with anything better, please feel free to add it on here. 

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, 

Would anyone that has previously applied to the U of S pharmacy program share some details about the application procedure and perhaps the chances OOP applicants have in being accepted? Or really anything that they believe we'd find interesting in here?

Koko

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I applied to both programs (Nutrition and Pharm) and hadn't heard anything as of today so I called the office at about 4:15 sasky time... She said that no decisions have gone out yet and they will be out possibly earlier than but for sure by the first week of July.

I'm dying over here! Why is this taking so much longer than precious years? I was expecting to hear today, judging from previous years' posts... ????

I have heard due to the changes to the u of s med school admissions policy (now requiring a 4 year degree) that the pharmacy application cycle could be quite large this year, so that could be making it take longer!  I asked a couple of my friends who have gotten in over the last few years (all in province students) when they received their emails and they said.... 2013:June 25th 2014:June 23rd and June 24th  so we could still be a little early I guess!

Yeah, I'm thinking it could either be due to a larger number of applicants or work on the PharmD curriculum taking up a lot of time. I am in-province as well. Do you mind me asking what your final average is as a percentage? Nutrition is actually my first choice, so that's the one I will be going with if all works out! I'm wondering if they let the applicants for both programs know at the same time. There are so few spots in Nutrition that it's hard to find any current students to ask. 

After both are factored 40/60 my final average is 88.2. I think that's competitive enough for Nutrition but you never know what everyone else has going on and how the TOCC and PP went so who knows. I've heard of student with a 90 not getting into Pharm 2 years in a row because of the essay portions so you really can never be certain I guess!

Archived