Premed 101 Forums

Advice needed

Guest mirwat

Hello fellow ezboarders,

I would like some advice from those of you who have applied to U.S. medical schools and are in the know-how about the U.S application process.

Here are my stats:

4 year undergrad science degree with cGPA 3.45 as per OMSAS

MCAT: written 3 times, 26, 27, and latest 31R (Phys:9, Verbal:10, Bio: 12)

I would really like to apply to American medical schools this coming June, and I would like to know where I stand. Is my GPA competitive? I am also considering re-writing the MCAT, because I believe that with appropriate hard work I can increase my physical sciences score. If I improve my MCAT will I have better chances? The MCAT is the only part of my application that I can improve, as I have already completed my undergraduage studies and have no way of improving my GPA now.

Any idea what schools I might be eligible for?

thank you for reading my post

mirwat

This is my first time applying to the US and I have not been accepted at any schools (yet). With that in mind, here is my advice:

Your MCAT is good enough, your GPA is mediocre (like mine) but you have said it is your OMSAS GPA. The way AMCAS calculates your GPA could result in a higher value.

AMCAS calcs 2 GPAs: Overall and BPCM (Biology, Physics, Chemistry and Math; essentially a science GPA)

You can try to figure out what your 2 AMCAS averages will be and then re-evaluate your situation. Pick up a copy of the MSAR from Amazon.ca (wait a bit for the newer copy to come out) and look through through all the school stats. See which schools accept Canadian students and what their entrance requirements are. It is a really useful book and lets you decide whether or not you have a good shot.

In the meantime work on your extra-curriculars. Get a job, do volunteer work, get involved somehow. Make sure it is something that you like to do not just something you think will please the admissions boards. They can see through a lot of that and more importantly you will hate your life if you do all this stuff that you hate.

There are a few schools to try like Wayne State. Again it depends on your AMCAS GPA's and also on how much money you can spend.

Thank you for the response Donair.

But if it is possible for me to raise my MCAT scores, will my mediocre GPA have a better shot? I'm trying to figure out if I should start studying for the April MCAT. Also, I calculated my Science GPA and it was around 3.67, not a whole lot better :o

Anybody else have opinions? Your input is much appreciated.

Assuming that AMCAS calculates your science GPA the same way you did, 3.67 is pretty good. A solid MCAT score (30+ with at least 10 in each section and at least an O or P in writing) will definately help your application. From my understanding the MCAT is weighted much more heavily in the US than in Canada.

If you are SURE that you can raise your score enough by re-writing the MCAT then do it. Don't let anything else get in the way though, ie) a summer job or class. Because if you show that you wrote the MCAT 4 times and didn't do very good either time then that also sends a message to the admissions committees.

• 1 month later...
Guest qw1222

Thats a good mcat score. Trust me DO NOT write your MCAT AGAIN. I guarantee you that you will get interviews with a 3.67 SCIENCE GPA and those MCAT scores. I know ppl who got interviews/acceptances with a lot less. Take me for example :-) GPA 3.75 MCAT 28 P

Guest sharonM2006

DOn't write the mcat again. I think your score is really good. Besides they will see that you got a higher than 31 after you wrote it 4 times. But what I might suggest is to boost your GPA. Perhaps take a second undergrad that will take you a year to complete...assuming they consider you previous degree/courses. If you try to get it to 3.7 you should be fine.

Guest zipzappy

Hey there qw1222,

I have similar stats as you ... out of curiosity, what schools did you apply to, interview with and receive acceptances from with these stats?

Thanks

Zp

Guest LaGriega

You have to get special permission to take the MCAT more than 3 times. Also, some schools will average your scores, some won't. Find out whether your target schools will. 31 is a fine score, so I agree, don't retake unless you think you can score in the superstar range.

You can raise your GPA by taking more courses, but at this point I agree with others: focus on strengthening other aspects of your application, getting wonderful LORs, and writing a fantastic personal statement.>:

Archived