Premed 101 Forums

u.s. schools that admit canadians....

Guest siobhansiobhan

Guest siobhansiobhan

hi -

i remember printing off an awesome list from here a while ago for u.s. schools that accept canadians.

i just came across this website, it lists policy, recent figures for acceptances, and what sort of money (all the years, or one ahead) needed for each school - western and osteopathic.

www.fiu.edu/~preprofc/Int...licies.htm

Guest siobhansiobhan

Yeah, I thought so too :)

Knock off the url to the last backslash and it takes you to a pretty awesome interview/application prep site run by U of Florida for getting into professional schools.

Guest VwDubber

it's a helpful list but i would be cautious ... b/c there are errors on that list. always double check with the school before sending in your money.

g'luck

• 2 weeks later...
Guest siobhansiobhan

Vw -

This is not the studentdoctor list. I'll cut and paste the first bit, so you get where it's coming from and how recent it is, and what it looks like....minus the formatting, of course!....

Duke University

Health Professions Advising Center

April 2005

MEDICAL SCHOOL ADMISSION POLICIES

TOWARDS NON-U.S. CITIZENS

Adapted From: Premedical Advisor's Reference Manual

Eighth Edition, 2005

Edited by Carol Baffi-Dugan

GENERAL COMMENTS

When applying to US medical schools, non-US citizen permanent residents (green card holders) are generally treated the same as U.S. citizens. In most cases, permanent residents can qualify as legal residents of a state and are therefore afforded the same preferences that may be given to state residents at public and some private medical schools. Those not having a green card, i.e., international students, have a more serious problem, since not all medical schools will consider international applicants. Of those schools that will accept international applicants, some have particular requirements that must be met by international applicants who are accepted to the school. For example, some schools require that international students provide proof that they are able to meet the cost of four years of medical school and living expenses. As a general rule, no federal financial aid is available for non-U.S. citizens. However, international students may be eligible for merit scholarships or other school specific funding. Some schools with MD/PhD programs have some slots that may be awarded to international students. However, applicants should only pursue MD/PhD programs if they have a genuine interest in research as a primary activity in their future.

POLICIES AT SPECIFIC SCHOOLS

UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA SCHOOL OF MEDICINE

It is rare that a non-U.S. citizen will gain acceptance. None have been accepted in the last three years.

UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH ALABAMA COLLEGE OF MEDICINE

In the last three years, two international students have been accepted from a total of 150 international applicants. Accepted applicants must meet INS requirements for F-1 or other student visas. Evidence of ability to finance education is considered on an individual basis. International applicants must have exceptional academic records and are eligible for institutional scholarships.

UNIVERSITY OF ARIZONA COLLEGE OF MEDICINE

No international students are accepted; applicants must be US citizens or hold a Green Card in order to be admitted.

UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS COLLEGE OF MEDICINE

Noncitizens without permanent residency cards (I-551) are not considered for admission. The permanent residency status must be achi

Guest VwDubber

siob...

i realize this is a different list but there are still errors. i will use suny-upstate since i have heard some people on here interview there.

"SUNY UPSTATE MEDICAL UNIVERSITY COLLEGE OF MEDICINE

Permanent residents are treated like US citizens. Other noncitizens must have exceptionally strong credentials to be considered, must meet INS requirements, and must establish an escrow account for four years of tuition. An average of 1 to 2 noncitizens are enrolled at Upstate. Financial aid is not available. "

accepted students do not have to establish an ecrow account for 4 yrs of tuition. accepted students do not have to establish an escrow account period. they only have to show they have sufficient funds to cover their expenses for the first year. the school assumes you have the capacity to pay for the remaining years without requiring you to recertify your financial situation in the MS 2-4 years

i have not gone through the whole list but at a quick glance there are errors so always double check with the school for the final word.

Archived