Premed 101 Forums

US vs. Canada residency

Guest queenstri

Guest queenstri

since the only school i've been selected to interview at is in the states (albany), i had a couple questions RE: practicing later on.

a friend who is doing meds here in canada has warned that it is difficult to match for specialties after med school in the US (Carms match). i understand that you are 2nd tier, but assuming you do well on your USMLE exams, do you stand the same chance as other schools?

basically...i cannot find a ranking for albany, and i've heard that there is a great variance in US school quality. assuming you do well on your USMLE, do you have the same chance matching for residency, both in canada and the US, as someone who went to a top tier school?

bascially, i'm worried that if i go to a school that isn't at the same level as the top tier schools, I am going to be stuck doing family practice in a small town. (I'm leaning towards Anaesthesia or Ortho).

thanks!

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

One denizen of these forums--moo--just matched into a first round Canadian spot, having just about completed medical school in Chicago. So if you do end up going to the US for medical school, you would still be permitted a go at the spots in the first round of CaRMS.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest theglassman2k6

Hi Queenstri,

In my opinion different schools can offer you different things, and open different doors. However, I believe you get out what you put into your undergraduate medical education.

So, if you go to a school that doesn’t have crazy prestige and you work really hard and make real world connections, you should be fine.

In the end we all have to learn essentially the same things, regardless of the school we attend.

Guest ssc427

I would like to do my MD in the US (if the funding comes through) but do residency and practice in Canada. So I emailed residency directors in Canada for the programs I am interested in and asked if it would hurt me to do my MD in the US. They said (by and large) no, but it would be in my best interest to come up and do an elective with them.

Keep in mind the schools I'm considering in the US at are all in the top 10 (for research). I have no idea if this counts for anything, but at I can be assured everyone in Canada has heard of them. But I agree with glassman2k6 in that you can still do well coming from a lower tier school if you work hard. Albany is not ranked at all in either primary care or research (according to US news, the big ranking agency in the US). I don't know if this means that they are lower than the 50th best, which seems to be all that is listed, or if they simply did not participate in the ranking.

You can always look and see how many people at Albany matched to the specialties you'd like to do. They should have this information. You've picked some of the more competitive so it might be difficult.

Guest VwDubber
bascially, i'm worried that if i go to a school that isn't at the same level as the top tier schools, I am going to be stuck doing family practice in a small town. (I'm leaning towards Anaesthesia or Ortho).
unless family practice in a small town is where you eventually want to end up .. don't sweat it! i would be a lot more worried about the cost of an albany medical education.

g'luck

If you do well third year, do some electives in Canada, you will have just about the same chance as a Canadian grad. I applied to both anesthesia and FP in Canada in the first round. I found no discrimination at all. Even in anesthesia (moderately competitive), in provinces in which I was not supposed to be able to match in the first round (Sask and NS or something like that) I was offered an interview. (I just ended up declining most of my anes interviews cuz I was pretty much gung-ho FP/EM.) In fact, I found I was having more luck in Canada than I was in the US, believe it or not, and I came from a top 20 school, well-known in the US. I think my board scores may have hindered me a bit in the US but of course, Canadian programs don't care about that.

Guest queenstri

it seems to look like doing clinical rotations in canada is key for matching for residency from the majority of the posts...and doing well, but that's a given.

going to have to see how the interview goes.

other option is, if i get in, turn it down and finish my 2nd undergrad degree, then reapply. the problem being, if i don't get in the 2nd time around, what to do then :P

Archived