Premed 101 Forums

Reference letters

Guest UBCstu

I will be applying to several US schools this fall which means that I will have to get my referees to send out quite a few letters. Is there a system that students use so that our referees only have to send out one letter but that it can be forwarded to all the schools we apply to electronically? I heard of something like this from a classmate but haven't been able to find any info on it.

Hi there,

I applied to a few this year and was not able to use any kind of system. For example for UCLA and for Davis I had to send letters individually. UCLA asked for 3-5 letters whereas Davis wanted only 3! Many schools have also different deadlines and take different number of weeks to get back to you re secondary application (you send references only if you are asked to send them a secondary application; unlike Canadian schools!). so, I can't imagine that some kind of a central system would forward reference letters (such as the OMSAS) to the individual schools though. Unless someone knows of such a thing?

Hope that helps, pari.

US colleges generally have a premedical service that you can send your letters to which will forward them for you to the med schools. However, this type of service does not exist in Canada. You can however pay to have certain online services gather your letters and forward them for you. For me when I applied five years ago, I just had people send letters individually (dropped off pre-stamped envelopes). It was a huuuuuuuge pain in the ass, as you can imagine.

Thanks for the replies. If I applied fairly early (eg- July) by when should I be asked for secondaries and generally what is the deadline to send them to the schools? I am concerned about this b/c I have taken a summer job in calgary so I won't be able to talk in person to any of my referees before september. So if I know that I'd prob. have to send the reference letters in before or by Sept. then I'll talk to my referees sometime in May and if I am asked for secondaries, I can email them to request the letters or else I'll just wait till I get back to talk to them. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Since Canadian schools don't have Pre-med committees, would it be ok to have professors on your committee as a graduate student be your references? Or do your references have to be from when you were an undergraduate?

Guest siobhansiobhan

That was complicated -

Each school requests letters from different people -

science teachers specifically,

if grad, then grad too -

if out of school certain amount of time, work possible...

this kind of information is not clearly all in one spot. some have it within the instructions of their secondaries, others on their website. it's a jumble. i think that if i must apply in june again, i will use that letter service, get a broad range of the writers, and then tailor who gets sent a copy, rahter than these complicated lists to give to writers... writers *really* don't like these lists, even though it's a simple mail-merge deal. simpler for the writers is what many seem to like.

Archived