Premed 101 Forums

Pre-Rank Before Interviews

carms2015

There may not be a hard and fast ranking just yet, but file reviewers have an idea where people might end up before interviews start. I'm sure it's different in FM, but in my program our program director came around after applications were submitted to ask residents about all the local applicants. 

There may not be a hard and fast ranking just yet, but file reviewers have an idea where people might end up before interviews start. I'm sure it's different in FM, but in my program our program director came around after applications were submitted to ask residents about all the local applicants. 

have to have some quantified value per applicant pre - unless you are just going to invite everyone how else can you figure out who to keep and who to exclude? In effect that is a ranking, no?

have to have some quantified value per applicant pre - unless you are just going to invite everyone how else can you figure out who to keep and who to exclude? In effect that is a ranking, no?

That's true. I know in my program file review reveals people obviously "backing up" (e.g. Exclusively rads electives) and there are some weird personal letters. One applicant called Newfoundland a "homely" province. Probably didn't intend quite that meaning.

Does anyone know the categories they use to quantify the rankings?

different for each school, different for each program. Each place can assign a different priority to things - but broad categories are the same - check for red flags in letters, mspr, etc, then the usual ECs, research, LORs, personal statements, electives....

I always think it is four basic things - hard working, smart, easy to work with and interest in the underlying field.

Archived