Premed 101 Forums

WAYNE STATE & DETROIT MEDICAL CENTER CRISIS !!

Guest MedBound786

Guest MedBound786

Hey everyone;

Does anyone here know about any recent updates on the Contract Renewal crisis between Wayne State Medical School and Detroit Medical Center? The deadline is March 31st I think!

Guest theglassman2k6

What do you mean they are losing residency programs? The last I read on this situation was from the detroit news, saying that talks were going well (jan 6th).

If the talks were going south, wouldnt they have to send out layoff notices, relocation notices, where I was under the impression this had to be done a certain amount of time b4 the march 31st deadline. However, since talks were progressing these notices were not sent out.

Could they end their relationship? What would that mean to the people of detroit, the underserviced? This is a business, I think they need to resolve their differences and make a contract, it would be in the best interest of the school, DMC, and Detroit.

As a side note, I wish I had all of the money to fund going to wayne state. I love all the talk about detroit is a bad city, bla bla bla. Correct me if I'm mistaken, but shouldnt a dr want to go where people need the most help?

Guest PistonsMD

I'm glad that you are such a caring and devoted person and I am sureyou will be a great physician. In actuality, there are many regions that are criticially underserviced medically and you won't have a hard time showing how much you care and make a difference.

As to Wayne State, many residency programs have been lost including orthopaedic sports medicine, vascular surgery, neurosurgery, etc...I'm not sure what other ones but there are a couple more...They are claiming this has nothing to do with the talks because there is a board which determines whether a program should continue...I have also heard that the lack of contract and stability have played an indirect role in this...

Furthermore, WSU will be okay if the split occurs except it will be a loss for everyone. Henry Ford hospital has made it apparent that it would like to increase its affiliation with the school.

Have you received any invites to Canadian schools? Canada has a severe shortage as well and physicians like you (that genuinely care, I hope) are hard to find!

Archived