Premed 101 Forums

Can I get a green card/visa to improve my US app?

Guest joshto

There are generally three ways to get a green card.

(1) Family-sponsored: If you don't have CLOSE relatives (parents, siblings), it's impossible to get this visa.

(2) Work-sponsored: Usually you need an employer to prove that they REALLY want you in the U.S., and that another American can't do your job.

(3) Lottery: Every year, a certain number of people from under-represented countries get to put their name into a lottery.

These are all long pathways, but it might be worth it if you're up to it. You should probably go to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services website for more information.

www.uscis.gov/

Welcome to the 49th parallel and North American history.

The above information should not be construed in any way to be legal or immigration advice.

I have an aunt & uncle in the US. Does that help in any way???? (supposidly you have a better shot of getting into to more med schools if you have a green card).

Guest Jochi1543

I wouldn't count on getting a green card, it's very hard and takes years. My grandfather got his citizenship about 3-4 years ago, and my mother (his daughter) applied through family the second he got it. She only got a reply a few months ago, saying her case has been reviewed and is proceeding to the next stage. I remember the difficulties my grandfather had in receiving his green card initially, despite being one of the top space scientists in the world. It's not an easy endeavour and I wouldn't consider it.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Gavanshir

Hi, I got my green card application approved this week. I had sent the petition in on January 29th. :D I think I just have to do an interview now and they'll contact me for that in the next 90 days.

It is not as simple as Gavanshir would lead you to believe. It is not as simple as sending in your application and voila - you've got it. Read his/her first post. Unless you have a parent or spouse living in the US it's extremely difficult. In fact - it's virtually impossible unless you have an American employer who will sponsor your application. Also, Canadians are NOT able to apply through the lottery.

Canadians ARE able to apply if you can prove that one of your parents are from an eligible country. However, they use pretty strict criteria to determine that. The best way to get a green card is just through medical school, and then residency somewhere that will sponsor the H1.

Archived