Premed 101 Forums

Full Scholarship to Canadians - Which schools?

Guest muchdutch

Guest muchdutch

I am just starting to research US medical schools, and I've heard a bit of buzz about a few schools offering full scholarship to Canadian students who are accepted to their programs. Is this true or not? If so, which schools offer such programs? What kinds of stipulations does this type of thing offer (ex - does it cover living expenses or just tuition, can you work to supplement your income, etc.)? Is it automatic, or encumbant upon proof that you, and I see that some schools also want proof that your parents, are poor:\ ?

Thanks!

Full scholarships are available at Washington University in St. Louis and the University of Pennsylvania. These were put in place to compete with the other schools in the top 5 (Hopkins and Harvard). They are awarded by the adcom and are not need based. Acceptance to these schools certainly does not guarantee you a scholarship. The scholarships cover all tuition/fees etc... but not living.

The Harvard HST program (a joint MD with MIT) will pay you 12K/semester for part-time and 24K/semester for full-time research (which is integrated to the MD). In addition you get an $800/month stipend. Then Harvard will provide financial aid in the form of loans/bursaries to international students to cover any additional need. If you are a research geek like me this is the coolest program on earth! I should also say that Harvard will provide loans/bursaries to Canadians for their regular MD program (called new pathway) but without the research money these wind up being much more loan than bursary.

Stanford will also pay you 12K/semester of research but according to rads there is no aid on top of this. Columbia will also provide loans/bursaries to Canadians. The details of these are not clear to me yet.

These are the only schools I know of because they’re the only ones where I’ve gotten interviews (except Penn who have a heavily rolling admissions policy so unless you’re truly amazing – which I’m not – then apply early or your chances are slim).

Moo – are there others you know of?

Guest VwDubber

are you sure about penn? maybe for their md/phd prog? last yr, for their md program, their policy was not a us pr/citizen = no money, no aid. period! they wanted me to provide documentation certifying that I have the financial resources to pay for the 4 yrs of med school, with two years of my education prepaid and locked up in an escrow account. this was not as bad as hopkins who wanted all four yrs prepaid (what a rip!!). columbia offers some money if I remember correctly but they also wanted me to certify my funds each year which would have been very annoying. not to mention living in nyc ... $$$$. i can confirm no aid from stanford unless you are a us pr/citizen.

The regular financial aid at Penn is not available to Canadians but I've been told that Canadians can win the 'Gamble' scholarships, which are the full scholarships. However I've heard this information from other American students and not someone official at Penn. I know of one Canadian who won the WashU full-scholarship so am pretty certain Canadians can win this.

Archived