Premed 101 Forums

US School interviews

Guest DoNair

Hey all,

I was just wondering what sort of things I should bone up on before an interview. (I was invited to U of Hawaii) I am a Canadian and am familiar with Canada's medical system but not that familiar with the U.S. system although I have been reading up on it a bit.

Do you guys think there will be any questions with emphasis on the health care system during an interview? After looking at the stats from the MSAR for Hawaii (only 2 international students were interviewed last year, and 1 was accepted) I wonder if they might ask me different types of questions since I am foreign.

What other types of questions should I anticipate?

This is my first med school interview after 2 years of applying and I don't want to screw this up. Any advice on how to prepare for the interview would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot,

donair

First, congrats on getting the interview. Second, relax! US interviews are fairly laid back. They'll want to get to know you. They'll ask you, why our school, why the US, tell us about the Canadian system. They'll ask you about your hobbies, what you do for fun. If they're tough, they might give you an ethical dilemna. Good luck.

US interviews are definitely more laid back than Canadian interviews. Mine were completely conversationa. And no, not the kind where they converse by throwing questions at you lol. They just wanted to get to know me. The interviews weren't stressful at all.

I would recommend knowing the pros/cons of the US and Canadian health care systems just in case it comes up. I was asked the pros/cons of the Canadian system. You should also go over your AMCAS and secondary applications. Other than that, try to relax and just be yourself!

Congrats on the interview!

Madz

Wow what a relief! Thanks for the quick feedback. It's going to be stressful trying to arrange flights/hotel, reference letters and getting time off of work. It's good to know that the interviews aren't grueling.

Here's another question: how many interviews did you have at each school. Hawaii has 2 separate interviews with people who are yet to be named and 1 with the Dean/Chair of Admissions.

Is it like this at Northwestern and other US schools?

How long did you guys stay in the city when you went for your interview? Did you come just for the interview and then promptly leave or did you stay a while?

Thanks

At each of the US schools I interviewed at, they all had the same format: 2 separate one-on-one interviews - with either doctors, faculty members, or med students. It was literally just a conversation with one other person and not a panel of interviewers staring at you/judging you.

My travel plans consisted of arriving in the city the night before, attending the interview in the morning, and then returning directly to the airport from the medical school. The process is already so expensive, I didn't want to stay an extra night and spend more money than I needed to. Plus, I'm currently in school so it isn't really feasible for me to spend extra time traveling/site-seeing etc.

Madz

Ditto to what moo & Madz25 said. Compared to Canadian interviews US ones are a walk in the park. At my last interview I was telling the yanks about the bell-ringer style interviews becoming increasing popular in Canada and they were shocked.

Mind you, the US copied Canada on PBL so mabye they will on interviews as well. Though not in the near future.

Archived