Premed 101 Forums

What is a good GPA for US?

Guest 33go

My cumulative GPA is 3.43. Is that a competitive enough for US med schools?

Which schools are my best bet?

Any schools doing a weighed average? (ex: your best 2 years)

Guest siobhansiobhan

your 3.43 gpa might be higher - the gpa as calculated on the amcas was higher for me than the gpa calculated on omsas.

Also, the amcas form calculates the average for each year in school, and also for any science classes.

Maybe that breakdown gets used a little more.

i'm interested to hear the other responses you get, as our gpa's are similar.

siobhan

In my experience GPA is MUCH less important in the US than in Canada. MCAT is the bigger deciding factor. In Canada you’ve got a chance with a 3.85 and 30 MCAT. In the US you’d be much better with a 3.5 and 34 MCAT. In addition, the schools I applied to look at your entire application – there is no dumbass formula/cutoff determining whether you are qualified to be a doctor as there is at many schools here. And when they look at your GPA they DO look at which courses you took and if they were hard. So the major in basket-weaving trick popular in Canada is less successful in the US.

***NOTE*** - when I say 'they' I am referring to the 5 schools I applied to. Reading through posts on SDN lead me to believe my generalizations are correct though.

In short, IMO with a 3.43 GPA, if you can pull off a 33+ MCAT, get your application in in June (applying early in the US is VERY important), and your extra-curriculars are good you can easily get lots of interviews in the US.

My GPA blows but I have a 36Q MCAT (still only average at top schools) and tons of publications/volunteer/international experience. Hence I’m getting interviews at ultra-competitive schools in the US but so far only 1 in Canada.

So USA here I come...

Yes, I echo the above post. After going through the process of applying, then serving on the interview commitee at my school, I can say that the process is more "holistic" here than in Canada. There are no pre-determined cut-offs. One of my Canadian friends who studied undergrad in the US got a 6 in VR (but rocked everything else) but a kickass GPA and when he was applying with me got into a top 15 school. He's interviewing in internal medicine now at some of the best schools in the country.

doesn't matter at all. Age range at the schools I've looked at is usually 21-45

Presumably if you're over 30 you have more ECs than the rest of us which is what US schools are after. I've read posts from people with 2.5 GPAs (but 33+ MCATs and excellent ECs) being accepted to decent schools.

Any EC is an excellent EC. There is no such thing as a category of "excellent" EC's which will guarantee you admission. As long as your EC's reflect you and your values and you can discuss them thoroughly in an interview setting, it's fine.

Bad EC's are those that you don't enjoy and only do for the sake of getting into medical school.

Madz

Archived