Premed 101 Forums

Kinda Screwed Up, What Should I Do?

moneyking

Hey guys,

I'm in second year at UTSC in life science. Unfortunately I didn't take school very seriously, and instead I played video games all day. I crammed in everything the day before the exam (watched all the lectures cas they were online) and it didn't turn out too well. My cGPA (omsas) first year was 3.76, and first semester of second year was 3.78. I took full course load every semester. I don't have any ec's. However, I  plan to do both, the MCAT and research this summer. I would like your opinion on what I should do and if there are any chances for me getting into med school. Any help will be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you

I kinda thought it was a subtle brag, but decided to give OP the benefit of the doubt

lol thank you. It might be that my university/courses are easier.

Get 4.0s in your next 2 years. Problem solved!

That would be very difficult, but that is my goal as of now. only backup I got. 

Go fuck yourself. Some of us work hard and can't manage that GPA. 

lol it may be that your uni/course is very tough. 

Do a variety of things that you think you might enjoy. Do some things that you wouldn't normally do. There are a few posts floating around this forum about ECs - find them.

lol there isn't much i can do. I'm not good at any instruments and can't play sports at a high skill level. the only thing that came to my mind is hospital work, but i'm not too sure if that will be enough. Thank you for the help tho, i really appreciate it.

lol there isn't much i can do. I'm not good at any instruments and can't play sports at a high skill level. the only thing that came to my mind is hospital work, but i'm not too sure if that will be enough. Thank you for the help tho, i really appreciate it.

Who cares?! Learn something! :D If finances are an issue, of course some instruments will be out... But seriously, if there was ever anything that you wanted to learn, do it! You don't have to volunteer at a hospital to have good ECs, but yes you should have some volunteering commitment dedicated to serving your community in some way. You can volunteer at a nonprofit of some sort, or a community health centre, or for an organisation that helps kids or certain populations... Anything. It's never too late to start (and then stick with something)! :)

And yeah, definitely don't worry about your GPA. You're doing great (GPA-wise)! Don't let what you see on these forums make you think that you're not.

You're not screwed, As long as you have a 3.75+ and a good VR score, you'll get in.

What most people don't realize is the low GPAs never post their grades on statistics page. Queen Class of 2018 have a below 3.8 GPA average (on their website somewhere) and McMaster has an average 3.8+ GPA. The key for both schools is to get a good VR score, which is very hard honestly speaking.

You're not screwed, As long as you have a 3.75+ and a good VR score, you'll get in.

What most people don't realize is the low GPAs never post their grades on statistics page. Queen Class of 2018 have a below 3.8 GPA average (on their website somewhere) and McMaster has an average 3.8+ GPA. The key for both schools is to get a good VR score, which is very hard honestly speaking.

I strongly disagree. I applied to schools with a 3.85+ last year with a 10 VR and got rejected from everywhere pre-interview. I thought my ECs were pretty decent too.

I strongly disagree. I applied to schools with a 3.85+ last year with a 10 VR and got rejected from everywhere pre-interview. I thought my ECs were pretty decent too.

10 VR isn't high. If you had a 11 VR you would have gotten an interview from McMaster, Calgary, and Western (depending on your other scores). The key to get into Canadian Medical schools is to get a 11 VR, if you ever hit that you will eventually get in assuming you have a decent GPA.

Thank you very much for the replies, I really appreciate it. I have one more question: This semester I have 3 second year courses and 2 first year courses, will taking the first year courses in second year affect my med school application/ reduce the chances of acceptance? is it a bad idea?

Thank you very much. 

Thank you very much for the replies, I really appreciate it. I have one more question: This semester I have 3 second year courses and 2 first year courses, will taking the first year courses in second year affect my med school application/ reduce the chances of acceptance? is it a bad idea?

Thank you very much. 

You're perfectly fine in this regard, don't worry. Western requires 3/5 full course equivalents to be at the appropriate grade level (300 and 400 courses are treated the same), but you satisfied that by taking 3/5 2nd year courses. This is of course assuming that you took 3 or more 2nd year courses last semester.

You're perfectly fine in this regard, don't worry. Western requires 3/5 full course equivalents to be at the appropriate grade level (300 and 400 courses are treated the same), but you satisfied that by taking 3/5 2nd year courses. This is of course assuming that you took 3 or more 2nd year courses last semester.

Savac, why u no watching Salud?!

Is that for only western? or does it apply to all/most med schools like queens mcmaster uoft etc

Thanks

That rule specifically applies to Western

oh I see. 

so if i take a 3/5 course load, mcmaster, uoft, queens etc won't care right?

btw is it a bad idea to do taht cas won't they think that youre taking the easy way out? I still have a couple of days to change courses up

oh I see.

so if i take a 3/5 course load, mcmaster, uoft, queens etc won't care right?

btw is it a bad idea to do taht cas won't they think that youre taking the easy way out? I still have a couple of days to change courses up

Nope. Don't worry about that. The only school that I can think of which considers courseload difficulty is Calgary. Other than that no school cares (except western).

Archived