Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums

2Nd Degree Question


ajymtl

Recommended Posts

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum and excited to be here.

 

My situation is slightly complex although not unheard of. I graduated from biology and decided to start a new Bsc. I have completed 1/4 of the 2nd degree and am now working on the second semester out of 4.

 

I have read on Mcgill's web site that we need to have completed 45 credits for a second degree applicant by November 1st. This is a little bit confusing to me. By november 1st I will have completed 30 credits (2 semesters) and I will be in my 3rd semester on my way in completing 45. Isn't that how it normally is? Since I began the degree in september it is only logical that by november 1st I will not have completed 45 credits. Actually I do not see anyway how it can be done unless you take a full time summer course load. Unfortunately I am not able to take a full time summer course load as the classes necessary to complete my 2nd Bsc. are not offered.  My question is; will they still take into account my application if I am registered for 5 classes on november 1st and they see that those classes will be completed by december? If not, does this mean that I have to wait another year before applying? Why have they done so?

 

2nd question: I know that Mcgill requires some prerequisit classes for the medical program like many other universities. I have not obtained fantastic marks in all those classes. Do you guys know if they look at the marks for the prereq's or do they just take into account that they have been completed. (Note: prereq's were completed in the previous degree).

 

PS: I am in the province of Quebec.

 

Thank you

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum and excited to be here.

 

My situation is slightly complex although not unheard of. I graduated from biology and decided to start a new Bsc. I have completed 1/4 of the 2nd degree and am now working on the second semester out of 4.

 

I have read on Mcgill's web site that we need to have completed 45 credits for a second degree applicant by November 1st. This is a little bit confusing to me. By november 1st I will have completed 30 credits (2 semesters) and I will be in my 3rd semester on my way in completing 45. Isn't that how it normally is? Since I began the degree in september it is only logical that by november 1st I will not have completed 45 credits. Actually I do not see anyway how it can be done unless you take a full time summer course load. Unfortunately I am not able to take a full time summer course load as the classes necessary to complete my 2nd Bsc. are not offered.  My question is; will they still take into account my application if I am registered for 5 classes on november 1st and they see that those classes will be completed by december? If not, does this mean that I have to wait another year before applying? Why have they done so?

 

2nd question: I know that Mcgill requires some prerequisit classes for the medical program like many other universities. I have not obtained fantastic marks in all those classes. Do you guys know if they look at the marks for the prereq's or do they just take into account that they have been completed. (Note: prereq's were completed in the previous degree).

 

PS: I am in the province of Quebec.

 

Thank you

 

Hi, 

 

I was in your situation last year. Until your 45 credits are completed before the application's deadline (ie next year's application if you are rejected this year), grades from both your degrees will be considered. 

 

As for your second question, prerequisite grades are looked at, but only after the interview. They constitute 20% of your score after the interview (the remaining 80% being the interview itself). Have you taken the MCAT? If so, and you choose to submit it, then your pre-req score will account for 10%, your MCAT score for 10%, and the interview for 80%. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi, 

 

I was in your situation last year. Until your 45 credits are completed before the application's deadline (ie next year's application if you are rejected this year), grades from both your degrees will be considered. 

 

As for your second question, prerequisite grades are looked at, but only after the interview. They constitute 20% of your score after the interview (the remaining 80% being the interview itself). Have you taken the MCAT? If so, and you choose to submit it, then your pre-req score will account for 10%, your MCAT score for 10%, and the interview for 80%. 

 

Thank you for your reply SunAndMoon. As of now I have not taken the MCAT. My plan is to study for the MCAT as soon as summer hits and write it in September. Hopefully that will go well. From what you are telling me I believe that it might be the best course of action. I have to go take another look at the prerequisite courses that Mcgill wants but it was the time when I was not focused in school unfortunately. Hmmm, I'm thinking, would it be beneficial if I were to retake any of those prerequ's or is it badly seen by the admissions office?

I see here: "http://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/applying/requirements" the prereq's are very general. I have completed many biology, chemistry and physics classes dating back to cegep (as well as university). Do you know which ones will be counted and how they will determine that?

 

Thank You

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you for your reply SunAndMoon. As of now I have not taken the MCAT. My plan is to study for the MCAT as soon as summer hits and write it in September. Hopefully that will go well. From what you are telling me I believe that it might be the best course of action. I have to go take another look at the prerequisite courses that Mcgill wants but it was the time when I was not focused in school unfortunately. Hmmm, I'm thinking, would it be beneficial if I were to retake any of those prerequ's or is it badly seen by the admissions office?

I see here: "http://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/applying/requirements" the prereq's are very general. I have completed many biology, chemistry and physics classes dating back to cegep (as well as university). Do you know which ones will be counted and how they will determine that?

 

Thank You

 

Retaking pre-reqs is not badly seen by the Admissions Office as far as I know. Several people I know have retaken them. Also note that pre-reqs expire and you will have to re-do them eventually (I believe it's 7 years after they have been completed? Unsure). If you look at the Excel document that we had to fill out (Academic Workbook), I believe you will see which courses are considered to be pre-reqs, and which are not. Off the top of my head, I think there was Physics I and II, Chemistry (Gen) I and II, Organic Chemistry I, Biology I and II. All of these courses should also have a lab component (unless taken separately). 

 

There are also three recommended courses: Molecular Biology, Cell Bio and Metabolism, Mammalian Physiology as per the Academic Workbook. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

How much of an adverse impact on your application would poor prerequisite grades have? 

That is, assuming a 2nd degree applicant with a 2nd degree 4.0 makes it to the post-interview stage, would ~3.0/4.0 in prerequisites totally jeopardize an otherwise successful interview? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

How much of an adverse impact on your application would poor prerequisite grades have? 

That is, assuming a 2nd degree applicant with a 2nd degree 4.0 makes it to the post-interview stage, would ~3.0/4.0 in prerequisites totally jeopardize an otherwise successful interview? 

 

You do have a good point. Regardless I am going to apply, hope for the best. At this stage some of my prereq's from CEGEP might be expiring soon (8 years). Therefore I might need to retake them anyway. I will have to contact Mcgill in the comming weeks and see what they say.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One thing is for sure, your pre-reqs are only considered post-interview. As mentioned above, 80% of your post-interview evaluation is based on your interview, and the remaining 20% is based on your pre-reqs grades, so the impact seems to be pretty significant based on this information. A lot of people have however said that your pre-reqs scores are only used as tie-breakers though, so who knows...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One thing is for sure, your pre-reqs are only considered post-interview. As mentioned above, 80% of your post-interview evaluation is based on your interview, and the remaining 20% is based on your pre-reqs grades, so the impact seems to be pretty significant based on this information. A lot of people have however said that your pre-reqs scores are only used as tie-breakers though, so who knows...

 

I think that statement makes sense. I'm going to do a little bit more digging but I think since it's been quite a while it shouldn't be such a big deal. As long as I can land an interview I will be extremely happy. I'm going to focus on school and EC. at the moment and hope for an interview.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Again, as I always say, I had a prereq GPA of 3.0 and got in without waitlist. ROQ U

 

I also known someone who got in with 2.7 of prereq off the WL fairly early. ROQ U

 

Therefore, I don't think it's a numerical score after interview. Just forget it and focus on the interview. You are worrying about something for which you can't do anything at this point.

 

If your prereqs are expired, then yes you have to redo them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks, Arztin, that's great to hear. 

 

And just to confirm, so is it in fact 7 years after which pre-reqs expire?

for e.g. if I took Gen Chem, Bio, etc. in the 2008-2009 academic year, will they have expired by the time I apply this year (fall 2015 for 2016 entry)? 

 

Feels like that's cutting it quite close.. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think it's best if you contact adcom directly for this matter.

 

Although I'd like to add that I'm not dissuading people from studying the MCAT or redoing the prereqs. I'm just saying, if you are invited, just don't think about it. Also, I highly doubt McGill's adcom would invite people to an interview knowing very well many won't stand a chance purely because of their prereqs. ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks, Arztin, that's great to hear.

 

And just to confirm, so is it in fact 7 years after which pre-reqs expire?

for e.g. if I took Gen Chem, Bio, etc. in the 2008-2009 academic year, will they have expired by the time I apply this year (fall 2015 for 2016 entry)?

 

Feels like that's cutting it quite close..

they expired after 8 years. I had to take the non-traditional pathway because of that. But after talking to the adcom, that doesn't mean I'll have to take the Qualifying year if I'm accepted.

 

If I'm not in this year I'm not sure if I should redo my science pre-requisites

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

for e.g. if I took Gen Chem, Bio, etc. in the 2008-2009 academic year, will they have expired by the time I apply this year (fall 2015 for 2016 entry)? 

 

Feels like that's cutting it quite close.. 

 

Just in case you're still wondering about this (or anyone else), I emailed them as I'm in a similar situation and prereqs taken in 2008-2009 would still be okay for 2016 entry (aka Nov 2015 application). 

 

edit: Does anyone know off hand if prereqs retaken before they expire are acceptable (like the old marks will no longer be looked at, except as part of cGPA)?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just in case you're still wondering about this (or anyone else), I emailed them as I'm in a similar situation and prereqs taken in 2008-2009 would still be okay for 2016 entry (aka Nov 2015 application). 

 

edit: Does anyone know off hand if prereqs retaken before they expire are acceptable (like the old marks will no longer be looked at, except as part of cGPA)?

I'm all confused... what are the prereqs? Like CEGEP courses? I took those like between 8-10 years ago.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just in case you're still wondering about this (or anyone else), I emailed them as I'm in a similar situation and prereqs taken in 2008-2009 would still be okay for 2016 entry (aka Nov 2015 application). 

 

edit: Does anyone know off hand if prereqs retaken before they expire are acceptable (like the old marks will no longer be looked at, except as part of cGPA)?

 

Thanks for checking, that is really helpful! Good to know. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In case anyone is wondering about retaking prereqs before they expire:

 

I emailed Admissions this: "If I retake prerequisites, would my new grades be considered (and not the old ones), even if the old ones have not expired yet?"

 

And got this in response: "if you redid your basic sciences, we will use the best of the two set of grades."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Who's Online   0 Members, 1 Anonymous, 23 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...