Premed 101 Forums

When to start applying for American Schools?

Guest SherriONT

Guest SherriONT

Hi everyone,

I've just recently decided to apply to some med schools in the US for Sept. 2007. I know that for Ontario schools, OMSAS applications begin this summer for acceptance in Sept. 2007...Is it the same for US schools? Does the process start earlier/later for US schools, or does it depend on the school. I'm really uninformed about the process, so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

The AMCAS process begins a few months earlier than OMSAS and other Canadian schools. Usually the AMCAS application becomes available in May. I would suggest getting started on the US applications ASAP. The earlier, the better since US schools, unlike Canadian schools, have rolling admissions. I would suggest trying to have your AMCAS application submitted in June or early July and then get started on secondary applications as they come in.

Madz

Guest theglassman2k6

The eariler the better. Wayne takes a bunch of canadians. Im pretty sure you can start the application in july. Get it in early, takes time to get a secondary then an interview. I put my first application in during aug, received secondary oct, intervew nov, acceptance dec.

The year b4 i applied to late, right at the end of the rolling admissions.

Guest SherriONT

Will my application process be delayed if I'm only writing the MCATs in August 2006? Since the results come out a few months after that, would they withhold from sending me a secondary app until they get my MCAT scores? Has anyone else been in the same boat?

They wont withhold sending the secondary applications but they wont consider your application complete, and therefore not review your application, until your August MCAT scores are received. The scores will be released around the second week of October (as the case has been in the past). It's like being in the same boat as applying later in the admissions cycle.

Madz

Archived