Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums

CAD q - chances in States (moo?)


Guest redbluegreen2006

Recommended Posts

Guest redbluegreen2006

Hi,

 

I am a student planning to apply in the 2006-2007 cycle. Am a third yr in a canadian university at present. Did my MCATs in Aug but didnt do well - 9 7 9 Q = 25Q ( 7 in Verbal). My GPA is not as good either - around in the 3.6s.

1. What are the universities worth for me to apply? and the order to rank them since some universities give you priority if you are on the waitlist.

2. Also since I plan to redo my MCATs in Aug 06, should I still try to apply early in the admission cycle since I do want them to consider my new MCAT scores or wait a little?? I dont want to miss out on the opportunities for rolling schools but again I dont want my previous MCAT scores to hurt my chances.

 

Thanks

 

A

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest QuestionMan23213

Hey there, i can offer you some advice as someone that has applied this year to 4 schools. I dont think 25 will make you competitive at very many places, even if you apply early. But if you got 25 the first time you wrote and are rewriting you will probably land somewhere near 30 your second time around this summer. This would be far better for your chances. You should still apply next year really early so that everything is ready when your scores come out in October. I made the mistake of waiting till oct to submit my app even after i wrote the august 2005 mcat. I had no idea things would take so long to finish and even the schools are really backed up after the scores are released. One school I applied to 6 weeks ago hasnt even processed my application. Just to give you an indication though, Wayne State which is where there are a tone of canadians, needs a min of 29 or 28 or so to get a secondary, but its really expensive (45k/year)! But many schools do you look at your application holistically so you can make up for lower mcat scores in other ways.

 

Good luck!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest redbluegreen2006

I think my main concern is since I know that I can improve my MCAT score when I redo it in August..but is it still worth my while to apply in June to schools with rolling admissions or apply in October?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest ssc427

The only guarantee is if you do not apply you will not get in.

 

How much money do you have? If alot then why not? In my case (I only applied to 5 schools) I didn't get my AMCAS in until sept and I think it might have hurt my application (because I only got interviews at schools without rolling admission).

 

I might wait a year if I was you. The alternative could be a bottom of the barrel american school with huge tuition fees, therefore making it difficult to return to Canada (assuming this is what you want to do).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest docbil

YOu don't always have to consider DO option right away.

 

3.6 is a good GPA. Especially if you have a Masters degree and a better MCAT score.

 

1-2 years more preparing your application will not kill you. You have your whole life "playing doctor". You might as well take the time and improve on it.

 

Also I would say the same thing about trying again and again at a Canadian School. It is possible. Or so I hear!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 133 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...