Premed 101 Forums

Pt/ot Accepted/waitlisted/rejected For 2015 Cycle

Haha no not a typo. I didn't feel too confident with my write-up so I'm not that surprised

I find that hard to believe since your GPA would have granted you automatic acceptance to western. You must have missed something in your app like references perhaps? Or if you had references, they sank you. No way you wouldn't get into western pt with 3.89 or above

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I find that hard to believe since your GPA would have granted you automatic acceptance to western. You must have missed something in your app like references perhaps? Or if you had references, they sank you. No way you wouldn't get into western pt with 3.89 or above

Applied: UBC, UofA, Western, Toronto, Queens (all OT) 

Accepted: UofA, Queens 

Rejected: Toronto, Western

Wait Listed: UBC

GPA: 85% 

Strengths: Very strong essays/personal statements. I have extensive course work, volunteer work of all populations,  especially with the Special Olympics, Brain Injuries, a Practicum Student with various OTs and research in Occupational Therapy, so I'm sure that was a large contributing factor. My references are also very strong: an OT and a professor that I did OT research with, who also used to be an OT professor at Western. I will be accepting UofA, so the UBC waitlist will be getting shorter as well as a seat will be opening at Queens OT:)

I am so excited to become an Occupational Therapist and I wish everyone the same luck I have had. Everyone on these forums seems genuinely passionate about the ultimate goal of helping others in our careers, and I am proud to be part of such a great group of hard working and caring future healthcare professionals. We're going to change the face of healthcare as we know it, so get excited!!!!

For those who have been accepted to Western OT, welcome and I look forward to meeting you. We have a solid group of students in the program and some great faculty. Congratulations!

Hi There, I am going to be accepting Western OT, can't wait to start my journey :) Do you know of a facebook group or anything for us first year students to meet and find out more info about everything?

Hi There, I am going to be accepting Western OT, can't wait to start my journey :) Do you know of a facebook group or anything for us first year students to meet and find out more info about everything?

Yes it just went up yesterday I believe

UWO OT CLASS CLASS OF 2017

They are all GPA based. You screwed yourself by not getting your references. Based on the fact you didn't get your references on time should tell you something. You squandered a terrific GPA by procrastinating.

This is really harsh. There's lots of reasons why this poster may not have gotten their references in time; life happens, we don't know their's. Healthcareeh, your gpa is fantastic and it'll still be competitive next year. It's too bad it didn't happen this year but there's nothing stopping you from applying again. I wish you the best.

Sorry I reversed them. My sub was 3.76 and cum was 3.61. Guess I got too excited and overlooked that detail!

Western must have changed drastically , I was rejected for PT with 3.76 and 3.80 with 10 years experience in pt clinics

Western must have changed drastically , I was rejected for PT with 3.76 and 3.80 with 10 years experience in pt clinics

Maybe it has something to do with the horrible attitude you reek every time you post. Seriously, lay off people, it's a hard enough day as is and you had no reason to use such attitude on the person without references. It could have been said more nicely and some thoughts are better kept to yourself.

Maybe it has something to do with the horrible attitude you reek every time you post. Seriously, lay off people, it's a hard enough day as is and you had no reason to use such attitude on the person without references. It could have been said more nicely and some thoughts are better kept to yourself.

Lighten up buttercup. If you have to ask why you didn't get in when you admit you didn't get your references in on time when you have a year to do it then you can't be to shocked when you don't get in. Nobody is going to hold anybody's hand in life and if you don't like what I have to say don't read it.

Applied: Western, UofT, McMaster, Queen's (all OT)

Accepted: Western

Waitlisted: UofT

Rejected:

GPA: subGPA 3.93, cumGPA 3.94

No word yet from Queen's or Mac. Western is my first choice so I'm over the moon. :) Congrats to everyone who has received an acceptance so far!

Congrats on your acceptance. See you in September you can join the UWO OT CLASS OF 2017 fb group

Lighten up buttercup. If you have to ask why you didn't get in when you admit you didn't get your references in on time when you have a year to do it then you can't be to shocked when you don't get in. Nobody is going to hold anybody's hand in life and if you don't like what I have to say don't read it.

I honestly can't believe I'm reading this kind of comment on here hahah. This just reinforces my belief that all Ot schools should include interviews in their admissions process. Pretty confident empathy should be a core trait for every OT.

The applicant didn't fail to submit references. They just weren't able to secure references in time to apply to programs that require them. Western OT and Mac OT don't require references. The applicant did nothing wrong.

Getting references is stressful and legitimate concern for many. Have some sympathy.

That's my point, how do you not have enough time to get them? You have a year to do it.

I thought Western changed their evaluation of applications this year and were actually looking at written submissions more seriously. Maybe that could have influenced something?

Yes exactly. I previously posted that I didn't feel confident with my write-up (which I take full responsibility for, a personal matter took up a large chunk of the time I set aside to work on it). Overall I think its a really positive thing that Western is not only looking at grades anymore

That's my point, how do you not have enough time to get them? You have a year to do it.

the backlash you're receiving is mostly due to how you gave your opinion. Also, you don't know everyone's situation, things happen that can result in the applicant not getting references. Don't judge so harshly & quickly. you don't need to understand everything about their situation to empathize

I honestly can't believe I'm reading this kind of comment on here hahah. This just reinforces my belief that all Ot schools should include interviews in their admissions process. Pretty confident empathy should be a core trait for every OT.

Dealing with clients is something entirely different. I agree that every OT and pt school shoul have interviews but it's not feasible. That being said, if you are supposing that I may not have been accepted had I been interviewed, perhaps you may be correct. It doesn't change the fact that you know what is required in your app and if you fail to do it and expect a different outcome then who's fault is that. I guess I could have sugar coated it better

the backlash you're receiving is mostly due to how you gave your opinion. Also, you don't know everyone's situation, things happen that can result in the applicant not getting references. Don't judge so harshly & quickly. you don't need to understand everything about their situation to empathize

The backlash is fine it's to be expected and it's probably understood how to strengthen the app

Dealing with clients is something entirely different. I agree that every OT and pt school shoul have interviews but it's not feasible. That being said, if you are supposing that I may not have been accepted had I been interviewed, perhaps you may be correct. It doesn't change the fact that you know what is required in your app and if you fail to do it and expect a different outcome then who's fault is that. I guess I could have sugar coated it better

Ohh wait, wait I think you might've misunderstood that person's post. The applicant had said they applied to 2 schools, but those 2 schools are the ones who don't actually REQUEST references. We apply through ORPAS for every school, but ORPAS doesn't send references to the schools that don't request them.

So the applicant really did do everything they're suppose to, to apply. Does that clear things up a bit better? ????

Ohh wait, wait I think you might've misunderstood that person's post. The applicant had said they applied to 2 schools, but those 2 schools are the ones who don't actually REQUEST references. We apply through ORPAS for every school, but ORPAS doesn't send references to the schools that don't request them.

So the applicant really did do everything they're suppose to, to apply. Does that clear things up a bit better? ????

You're correct, I did miss that. My mistake. Lumps taken. I admire your fire, it will come in handy. OT can be rough depending on what area you go after. Where are you going?

You're correct, I did miss that. My mistake. Lumps taken. I admire your fire, it will come in handy. OT can be rough depending on what area you go after. Where are you going?

Applied: Mac OT and Western OT

Accepted: none

Waitlisted: none

Rejected: Mac OT (pre-interview) and Western OT

GPA: cum 3.94, sub 3.92

Anyone have any advice on strengthening my application? I only applied to these 2 schools because I couldn't get references in time, but for next year, I am thinking of applying to more schools with references! Not sure why I didn't get an interview at McMaster since it was GPA based, but better luck next year!

My mistake, I misread your post. I apologize

No worries, don't even think too much into it - I can't even begin to tell you the number of times I've misunderstood something :P

I'll be off to McMaster next year.

Also, thank you, my fire is very flattered hahah & your fire is also very admirable for apologizing to that applicant  ;)

Archived