Premed 101 Forums

Pt/ot Accepted/waitlisted/rejected For 2015 Cycle

Hey, did Queens send you a rejection or did you just figure based on your cGPA?

As others have said, your cGPA will not be looked at at other schools :)

Also, did anyone get that Res application email from UofT? I know it doesn't mean anything but it was still something nice to break up the waiting time!

When did you receive this email? I received it last year with my application but nothing so far this year. Did you apply to PT as well of just OT?

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Applied: U of A, McMaster, Western, U of T (all PT)
Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
GPA: cGPA: 2.67 sGPA: 3.89 (3.94 for U of A)
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: I had a professor and a volunteer supervisor (non PT) complete my referee forms. The one from my volunteer supervisor I'm sure was quite strong although I did not get the chance to see it. The one from my professor was likely  a bit weaker as I do not know them as well so they likely just discussed my academic strengths in terms of the courses I took with them. Overall, I'm hoping my GPA can carry me through to be honest! My essay for Western was good I think, I had my PT volunteer supervisor read it over and she provided me with good feedback to fix it up. Good luck to everyone!

My verification report came out today too! Thanks for the heads up everyone. It's my first time applying, hopefully my averages are competitive enough for this round.

Applied: UofT, McMaster (PT)

Accepted:

Wailisted:

Rejected:

GPA: (cum and sub) subGPA = 3.90 cumGPA = 3.48

Which verification report ? I thought they were not doing verification reports... do you mean your sub-gpa calculation? 

Which verification report ? I thought they were not doing verification reports... do you mean your sub-gpa calculation?

You're right, they're not called verification reports any more, and they're not emailed/mailed out to people any more like previous years. Everyone is talking about sGPA calculation, you were right, that link titled "You should review your current application data on file with ORPAS" which has GPA and stuff on it. I believe we are all just calling it a verification report because the term is being grandfathered in essentially because that link replaces the old report that used to be mailed out with GPA info.

Applied: UofT, Queens, Mac (all PT)

Accepted:

Waitlisted:

Rejected:

GPA: (cum and sub): cGPA = 3.78, sGPA = 3.82

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references:

I am assuming that I will get interviews at both UofT and Mac, however recognize I will likely be on the lower end of those invited GPA wise. I am curious to know how much my chances differ from those with a student with a higher GPA. How much weaker of an applicant am I then that of a student with a 3.9 GPA for example. Beyond that the splits are 40-60, 25-75 for interview GPA splits. Trying to grasp my realistic chances of getting in. Thanks for the input!

Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
GPA: (cum and sub): cGPA = 3.5, sGPA = 3.88
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: I just hope my Queen's statement stands out. From my past lurking experiences on the forum I've seen that some people with amazing experience and rock-solid GPAs got rejected. I think I had a good variety of experiences (volunteered 250+ hours in outpatient/inpatient rehab, community exercise program leader, research project w/oral presentation, peer mentoring, exec for student club). I just hope I explained their impact on my personal growth well enough to move them lol. All the best to everyone applying and preparing for interviews! 

Accepted:

Waitlisted:

Rejected:

I am assuming that I will get interviews at both UofT and Mac, however recognize I will likely be on the lower end of those invited GPA wise. I am curious to know how much my chances differ from those with a student with a higher GPA. How much weaker of an applicant am I then that of a student with a 3.9 GPA for example. Beyond that the splits are 40-60, 25-75 for interview GPA splits. Trying to grasp my realistic chances of getting in. Thanks for the input!

I'm sitting at a 3.83 and I'm wondering this too! I'm actually nervous about not getting an interview!

I'm sitting at a 3.83 and I'm wondering this too! I'm actually nervous about not getting an interview!

We both should be fine....unless there is a bigger jump then there has been the last 8 reported years we will be above the gpa cutoff. Just wondering if a below average GPA makes us nearly as competitive....how much better do we need to do on the CAP or MMI to make up those GPA points?

We both should be fine....unless there is a bigger jump then there has been the last 8 reported years we will be above the gpa cutoff. Just wondering if a below average GPA makes us nearly as competitive....how much better do we need to do on the CAP or MMI to make up those GPA points?

Well, I would think that that depends on what the actual cutoff is. Say it jumps about .02, to 3.78. I would say we'd be sitting somewhere along the middle (if not on the lower end of middle, haha)

Well, I would think that that depends on what the actual cutoff is. Say it jumps about .02, to 3.78. I would say we'd be sitting somewhere along the middle (if not on the lower end of middle, haha)

We should both get an interview but would be below average of accepted candidates according to the posted UofT statistics. What type of preparation have people done for the CAP-MMI

You're right, they're not called verification reports any more, and they're not emailed/mailed out to people any more like previous years. Everyone is talking about sGPA calculation, you were right, that link titled "You should review your current application data on file with ORPAS" which has GPA and stuff on it. I believe we are all just calling it a verification report because the term is being grandfathered in essentially because that link replaces the old report that used to be mailed out with GPA info.

Thanks for clarifying. So, did most people already received their sub GPA calculation ? I definitely didn't!

No problem, not sure if it's a majority thing or not. Appears to be rolling out though, some were posted Monday and mine was posted today for instance. I think last year they didn't hear until the 20th or so. It's a gradual process and if it's not a link available on the login site from ORPAS, I wouldn't worry too much and would be patient instead. 

Applied: UWO,  McMaster, Uof T and McGill

Accepted:

Waitlisted:

Rejected:Mac, U of T

GPA: (cum and sub) cGPA :3.83 sGPA:3.77

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: Good references and volunteer experience. My personal statement was ok. I pray I get in. First time applicant. 

Hi Booden86, 

With a 3.82 GPA you likely won't be at the bottom of the pack, even if the GPA shifts a little upwards. That being said, even if you are at the lower end of the GPA scale, it's completely possible to be accepted if you have an excellent interview. I had the lowest possible GPA a couple of years ago and I still was accepted into Mac without being put on a waitlist.

But that's Mac! U of T doesn't have quite so forgiving of a GPA split.

Let me know if you have any questions about the MMI :) 

Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:

It seems likes ORPAS has a GPA calculation with a lower scale. How can I know my cGPA or sGPA so I will know what to do in order to apply through them again for next year?

Hey, you can go to this link to figure out how your GPA converts to the GPA ORPAS will use: http://www.ouac.on.ca/docs/orpas/c_orpas_b.pdf

You take the grade you got for each individual course (before you do any averaging) and covert them to ORPAS "grades" using the appropriate scale, then average all of the converted grades to get your ORPAS GPA.

• For example, if you went to McGill for your undergrad, it says to use scale "8" (make sure you're selecting the appropriate scale).
  • Let's say you got a B- in course X at McGill - this would convert to an ORPAS GPA of 2.70 for course X.
  • Now do the same thing for each and every class you got a grade for (let's say for courses Y and Z you got a B and an A...these would convert to 3.00 and 4.00, respectively). Let's also pretend class X was a full-year course - so its weight will count twice.
  • Now take all those grades from your entire undergraduate degree (unless some courses aren't included - e.g., ones that aren't assigned a grade value but rather a complete/incomplete), add them up (2.70 + 2.70 [because it was a full year course] + 3.00 + 4.00) and divide by the number of classes taken (/4 - I know you only took 3 in this example, but the full course counts as 2). This gives you your cumulative GPA (cGPA) using ORPAS standards. In our example, your cGPA would be 3.10 out of a possible 4.00 (of course, you'd have way more than 3 classes to include).
  • You do the same thing to get your sub GPA (sGPA), except you only include your most recent 20 half courses or 10 full courses. Let's pretend you did 8 full-year courses in your last two years (4 each year - meaning 4 classes for 2 semesters both years). Then you would have 16 half courses - where do you get your other 4? How do they decide which ones to take from your 2nd year? They would average your entire second year (the same way we did it before - by first converting each grade you got for each class in your second year, from both semesters, then taking the average of that year alone, and using that number as the GPA to assign to your last 2 full/4 half courses). In the end it would give us (16 half courses + ORPAS average 2nd year GPA + ORPAS average 2nd year GPA + ORPAS average 2nd year GPA + ORPAS average 2nd year GPA)/20 to get your sGPA.

Sorry if that's too simple of an explanation/too broken down. If I've made a mistake/typo about something, someone pleasee correct me, I don't want to confuse anyone! This is how I figured out mine and I got the same numbers as ORPAS assigned to me. Let me know if you're still stuck trying to figure out your converted GPA!

Thanks for clarifying. So, did most people already received their sub GPA calculation ? I definitely didn't!

did you log on to orpas? so to the part that allows you to review application and scroll down. all your courses and gpa will be listed there. The email only tells you to log on to orpas to view it

It seems likes ORPAS has a GPA calculation with a lower scale. How can I know my cGPA or sGPA so I will know what to do in order to apply through them again for next year?

use the vertex42 gpa calculator from this website

http://www.vertex42.com/ExcelTemplates/gpa-calculator.html

you can adjust it based on the grading system at your school. combine it with the info on orpas website and you have an accurate calculation. It worked well for me.

hope this helps

Hey, did Queens send you a rejection or did you just figure based on your cGPA?

As others have said, your cGPA will not be looked at at other schools :)

Also, did anyone get that Res application email from UofT? I know it doesn't mean anything but it was still something nice to break up the waiting time!

Thanks for your response!

and i just figured based on my cGPA (didn't realize it would be THAT low)

Hey Everyone!

Applied: UBC, UofA, UofT, Western, McMaster, Queens (all OT) 

Accepted :

Waitlisted: 

Rejected: 

GPA:  ORPAS sub GPA 3.62, cum 3.4. UBC 85%, UofA 3.69

References:

I feel as if I have extremely good references. One is an OT himself, who supervised me in a Brain Injury Recovery Home implementing OT programs. The other reference (academic) is a professor I have performed OT related research with, and who was formerly an OT supervisor at another Canadian University. 

I'm hoping to get into schools on the West Coast, however I will take what I can get:) Has anyone heard from UBC about interviews yet? 

Archived