Premed 101 Forums

Pt/ot Accepted/waitlisted/rejected For 2015 Cycle

Applied: U of A PT, McMaster PT
Accepted: -
Waitlisted: -
Rejected: -
GPA: cGPA 3.56, sGPA 3.73

Second go around applying this year. Applied with a 3.65 sGPA last year and was wait listed for an interview at U of A. Received an email two weeks later inviting me for an interview, which I attended. I was placed on the wait list for the 2014 cycle at U of A, final position was ~10.

Hoping another year of experience and a bit of a bump to the GPA will be enough to crack the program this year! Best of luck to you guys.

FYI: Received notice about the interview from U of A on March 24th 2014 (last year), assume emails will go out around the same time this year.  

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Applied: UBC, U of A, Manitoba, McMaster (all OT) and Manitoba (PT)

Accepted:

Waitlisted:

Rejected:

GPA: 83% 300/400 level courses at UBC, sGPA Manitoba OT = 3.91, GPAPC Manitoba PT = 3.7, not sure what my sGPA is for U of A and McMaster is but I'm assuming around 3.6.

Perceived strengths of essays/interviews/references:

My essays are strong as I have quite a bit of OT knowledge and relative experience. I have over 200 hours working with dementia patients and more working with children with autism. I have pretty stellar references from them as well. My professors also wrote great letters of references. I achieved the highest mark in the class in both courses which were both science-related and both profs know me personally. I think I have a good chance at getting interviews everywhere except u of a and McMaster.

U of A doesn't have interviews for OT - best of luck on the others! I've applied to all of them as well :D all OT though

Does anyone know more about the different programs (specifically UofA OT vs. UBC OT)? Like what each is known for, what sets them apart, etc? I don't know where to find this info but I'd love to get a good idea of it.

I would check the FAQ of the application section of those schools. A lot of schools will have a "Why go here?" part.

Just got an email from McGill QYPT, to fill out an excel sheet on specific courses. Has anyone got that?  

I got mine in february and was supposed to submit it by march 6. I think they have too many applicants so they are using this to reduce the number. good luck

I got mine in february and was supposed to submit it by march 6. I think they have too many applicants so they are using this to reduce the number. good luck

Oh great! did you submit and have they reply? I have a problem, these specific courses are not my best:( so i am feeling rejected already. I also applied to QYOT, no news from them yet.

Oh great! did you submit and have they reply? I have a problem, these specific courses are not my best:( so i am feeling rejected already. I also applied to QYOT, no news from them yet.

Haha. just follow the instructions and fill it out as best as you can. I feel like the courses they ask for favor people with a kinesiology degree.   I felt the same way you are feeling but I filled it out anyway. just remember that you can only use each course once to fulfil the categories in the spreadsheet. Good luck. And yes i did submit the form already.They do not reply unless you make a not in the email for them to send you a confirmation of receipt email.

I think we should be hearing about interviews for QYOT anytime during this week or next week - cross fingers! :)

I got that too, I didn't really have a course for biomechanics since I'm not from a kin background, so whelp. Haha! I wonder if that form was required last year -- I hadn't heard anything about it.

Hi Everyone!

Applied: U of A, Queen's, McMaster, Western, and McGill (all PT)

Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected: McMaster

Interview Invitations: U of A

GPA: sub-GPA for U of A: 3.85; for Ontario schools: 3.70; cGPA for Ontario schools: 3.11

Perceived strengths:

Essays: I feel really good about my essays. I started early and hired an editor to make sure they were as professionally written as possible. I highlighted my volunteer/shadow experience at clinics and hospitals as well as the fact that I've worked part-time as a physiotherapy assistant in a private practice for about 850 hours over a year and a half. 

References: 1: Professor of statistics - wrote me an exceptional letter that makes me sounds awesome, yay! 2: My employer and owner of the clinic I work at - wrote a really good letter as well.

Concerns:

I just checked my ORPAS data for my GPAs. Alberta's GPA scale is different (A's counted at 4.0 rather than 3.9), so I was expecting a higher sGPA than 3.70 since I've done all upgrading in Alberta. This is probably going to mean no interview invitation from McMaster. Naturally, I'm freaking out now.

Good luck to you all!

I just received a "conditional acceptance" from Dalhousie for OT!!!
However in the e-mail they state that this means that the school has *recommended* me for acceptance but that the final decision is still to be made. Does anyone know how often someone who is recommended is denied at this stage? It seems really early for an acceptance, conditional or not, and this worries me. 

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

Archived