Premed 101 Forums

Does you Undergrad School Matter

Guest tmacgirl

Guest tmacgirl

For admission to a top school in the states does your Undergrad matter. For example lets say there are two students one with a 3.8 for York and the other 3.4 for Toronto. Do you think they would pick the 3.4 due to Toronto's Rep?

Guest Sarah371

The short answer is yes.....but in the US there is a much wider range of quality of education in undergrad. As for U of T or York....I am pretty sure most won't distinguish between then but lump them in the generic Canadian University category.

Guest Gavanshir

"generic Canadian University category.."

What is the other category then? Do you know if there are particular Canadian universities that impress US adcoms?

I think it's highly unlikely that they would distinguish substantially between any Canadian schools. I know numerous York grads who went on to top schools in the US; a 3.8 GPA from York is definitely better than a 3.4 GPA from U of T for any application out there!

I don't know why people don't realize this.

At the end of the day the school you apply to, in canada or US, will look at you cGPA. Go to the less competitive school, get A level grades and who cares if you are UBC or UofT grad.

Guest ubcredfox

Wow. I'm a UBC grad, and I've gotten accepted to some of the very best US universities...mmm....Ivy league...

But, to answer the OP's question, it doesn't really matter as to what Canadian school u go to, all that matters is..well..you.

Cheers,

UBCRedFox

• 2 weeks later...
Guest VwDubber
For admission to a top school in the states does your Undergrad matter. For example lets say there are two students one with a 3.8 for York and the other 3.4 for Toronto. Do you think they would pick the 3.4 due to Toronto's Rep?
it will not matter for medical school admissions whether you came from UT or York. All other factors equal, I can guarantee you the person with the 3.8 will receive admission over the one with a 3.4 especially at number whoring schools like Wash U. The only Cad school that really sticks out to the US folks is McGill and I suspect it's b/c Osler came from there and the fact that McGill medical school accepts more US applicants than out of province Cad applicants.

Guest VwDubber
Wow. I'm a UBC grad, and I've gotten accepted to some of the very best US universities...mmm....Ivy league...
the "very best" (if by best you mean NIH research dollars) US Ivies have not sent out their first round acceptances yet ..... Brown and Dartmouth are great schools but I would not say they represent the "very best" US med schools.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest studentz

US schools certainly do care where you went to school for undergrad, especially the very top ones. McGill and UofT are certainly the best-know Cdn. schools there (particularaly McGill) but you won't be out of the running or anything like that simlpy because you went to York. Yes, a 3.8 from York is better than a 3.4 from anywhere else, that's obvious. The more interesting question is whether a 3.8 from York will be considered the same as a 3.8 from McGill. But this is where MCATs and the supposedly more comprehensive (on avg.) evaluation process in the US comes in...

Archived