Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums

Question About Saba University


Recommended Posts

Does SABA have a September entry? If you really want to wait out for ABP, and not risk losing 12,000$, then maybe its an idea to defer to september entry.

Have you tried contacting SABA, and asking them for clarity on the situation?

What are your stats, are they in the competitive range for ABP?

Regardless, the typical preamble that you should try for Canada/US schools before abroad etc.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, thanks for the quick reply.

 

I have a 3.2 cumulative GPA (over 3.70 over the last 3 semesters) and did not write the MCAT.

I tried applying to Canadian schools several times and it did not work out. I think I have a fair shot at ABP, and I really want to return to Canada for my residency; that's why I am leaning towards Ireland.

 

I sent Saba en e-mail last week, and they actually just called me. I can get a full refund as long as the request was made before the semester starts.

 

Anyways, I think the problem is solved. Again, thanks for the help!

Why did you not write the MCAT?

 

Saba takes students without the mcat? As well, I guess your looking at 5-6 year programs in Ireland without the mcat?

 

Im not too confident youll get into any worthwhile Irish schools with that GPA and no mcat...

 

I wouldnt count on returning to Canada for residency, and think of it as a consellation prize and focus your energy on ensuring you can match in the US for residency (Saba would be better for this).  From the numbers ive seen Saba grads are decently represented in Canadian residency matches, of those who do actually match in Canada, which are extremely small for IMGs.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

"I tried applying to Canadian schools several times and it did not work out."

Well your GPA is way too low for consideration, and you don't have an MCAT.

You didn't really try to apply to Canadian schools if you applied several times, but didnt think to take the MCAT to increase opportunities, or take extra terms to increase your GPA for schools that consider best two-years.

Not to sound mean, just giving a reality check.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

You are right, I am probably trying to find an easy way out of this. To be honest, with this kind of GPA, acing multiple extra semesters would still make me an extremely uncompetitive candidate in Canada. I guess that instead of going through the frustration of rejection again, I choose study my butt off as an IMG and try to match back to Canada. However, it is probably more realistic to aim for the US if I choose to study at SABA, which is known to prepare students for this very purpose.

 

I really appreciate your advices, thanks for being honest.

My next logical suggestion would be, that with your upward trend - even just a few more semesters of 3.8+ and a solid MCAT would make you competitive for US schools and avoid all the risk of going abroad.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Following from this same thread, I'm really stuck and need as much advice/perspectives as possible. My situation: 3.9 GPA and 29 MCAT (9VR 10BS 10PS); tons of research (publication), ECs and clinical experiences. Yet to hear back from about 50% US schools I applied to and from most Ontario schools. Regrets from out schools outside of Ontario (UBC and MUN). I have applied to Canadian schools before but no luck. Options that I have been considering:

 

1. Re-taking MCAT and applying to US MD/DO schools and Canadian schools; I have taken it multiple times before but am hoping to improve with the new format although it will be harder.

2. Applying to Saba or other caribbean schools - I'm really stuck between waiting around more or just starting my education, and study hard to get a match in the US (and perhaps, even by a minimal chance, in Canada).

 

P.S. No point in applying to DO schools now since too late in the application cycle...correct?

Any advice would be very helpful.

 

best regards

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm assuming you only applied to us MD schools this cycle? Poor choice..but apply first thing in June to us DO and you should be gold for at least a few interviews. Acceptances will hinge on your interview skill.

 

 

Don't go abroad when you can get into a us school. If you want the MD, you have to retake the MCAT and do way better. But I wouldn't bother, if you have multiple attempts and your highest is a 29 you've likely peaked and us MD schools aren't an option anymore unless you suddenly jump 10 pts to a uber score. It looks bad when you have multiple low attempts.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for your advice! My question is how ad coms would compare this re-take with the previous ones if I do really well on  this MCAT. I am thinking its not an easy comparison, and may not be evaluated as negatively as if I were taking the old MCAT another time. Its like I'm taking a new test with a different format the first time; how can someone compare this to my previous tests and still say that I have peaked?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for your advice! My question is how ad coms would compare this re-take with the previous ones if I do really well on  this MCAT. I am thinking its not an easy comparison, and may not be evaluated as negatively as if I were taking the old MCAT another time. Its like I'm taking a new test with a different format the first time; how can someone compare this to my previous tests and still say that I have peaked?

Regardless, I wouldn't get my hopes up unless you do WAAAY better.

 

I assume they would just compare it on a percentiles basis.

 

If it took you multiple tries to get a 29, then you haven't done yourself any services in their minds. They don't know you or your life, they just see poor scores. But like i said, if you can ROCK the new mcat and do very well, you may have a chance at USMD schools.

 

It would help with context, if you provided the spread of your other scores? like are we talking 22, 25, 29, or 26,28,29 etc

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

And the new format isn't any harder, it is just longer.

It was more like the fist range (23, 24, 29). Although the first time was less practice (unable to afford practice tests); 2nd time it was nerves, and 3rd time was a prep course and all kinds of practice questions I could get (AAMC, TPR, a bit of Kaplan). 

 

Thank you once again

 

Also forgot to mention that my average test scores were 29-33.

Edited by Premed9393
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm if you tried your hardest on the last one and got the 29, I wouldnt hope for a miracle and score super high. You are out of the running for USMD schools as they will see all your previous scores and pass you up. I would say to still try USDO schools as you may have some luck especially with the less selective ones(most just look at your highest score), especially with the 3.9 gpa.

 

If you do decide to take the MCAT again. Make sure you only do it if your practice scores are high 30s. Otherwise no point. Sorry to be the bearer. It still always confuses me how near perfect GPAs struggle with the MCAT.. Alas you do what you can do!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm if you tried your hardest on the last one and got the 29, I wouldnt hope for a miracle and score super high. You are out of the running for USMD schools as they will see all your previous scores and pass you up. I would say to still try USDO schools as you may have some luck especially with the less selective ones(most just look at your highest score), especially with the 3.9 gpa.

 

If you do decide to take the MCAT again. Make sure you only do it if your practice scores are high 30s. Otherwise no point. Sorry to be the bearer. It still always confuses me how near perfect GPAs struggle with the MCAT.. Alas you do what you can do!

I will certainly apply to USDO schools next cycle. Not yet sure if I will re-take the test; will have to thoroughly assess my scores and chances for improvement. Since I may still re-take it, do you think Canadian schools would care much about multiple retakes. From their websites, it looks like they don't. I am thinking if I am waiting another year, why not re-take and  if I get a high score, perhaps apply to Canadian schools that I didn't apply to this cycle...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...