Premed 101 Forums

My Chances For The 2015/2016 Cycle

I think your stats look fantastic! I think there is plenty that stands out, your GPA is great and varsity badminton is big as well as doing piano for 10 years! Shows commitment and excellence in certain areas. Also research is too, published paper is awesome! Your ECs are diverse and also unique i'd say for some of them. Like I didn't even know there was such a thing has varsity badminton haha but thats awesome! I think you absolutely should apply and if you can, write the MCAT

You're in fine shape. Your GPA is fine a 3rd year student, providing you maintain it at its current level - anyone who told you that it should be higher is simply wrong. Your ECs could be better in the grand scheme of things, and you should certainly try to continue improving them, but for someone only in second year they're fantastic. There's some diversity there, along with a clear record of altruism and achievement. Being from the Ottawa region helps, especially since Ottawa doesn't require the MCAT and would be your best shot at this point.

You should seriously consider writing the MCAT sooner rather than later. Don't worry about not being able to afford a prep course, they're far from necessary, and of questionable value with the new MCAT version coming out. Take some time to look through the material and maybe do a practice test or two - that'll give you a sense of how much work you'd have to put in to do well enough on the test, or whether extra help from a prep course might be useful. If you feel you need the extra year that's fine, you can still apply to Ottawa next year and have a reasonable shot, but even with some financial constraints I don't see much value in waiting.

hey guys, thanks for the responses!! ralk, any specific recommendations for improvement in the ECs? Should I expand and try to discover more interests, or try to build on my existing interests? And actually, i think ottawa is not a likely shot for me because I've only seen 3.96+ gpas for accepted 3rd years; my dream is school is queens!!
and itookaphoto, my permanent address is in ottawa, but i'm actually studying in a different province :/ 

hey guys, thanks for the responses!! ralk, any specific recommendations for improvement in the ECs? Should I expand and try to discover more interests, or try to build on my existing interests? And actually, i think ottawa is not a likely shot for me because I've only seen 3.96+ gpas for accepted 3rd years; my dream is school is queens!!

and itookaphoto, my permanent address is in ottawa, but i'm actually studying in a different province :/ 

What you've seen reported and what's actually possible is a world of difference. Most schools, including Ottawa, don't distinguish between third and fourth year applicants in evaluating wGPA (once that wGPA is calculated, that is), so if someone can get in as a fourth year applicant with your GPA, so can you. The idea that third years need a higher GPA is a myth.

What holds most third year applicants back is ECs, not GPA. As I said, your ECs are pretty strong. Yes, they could be better, but so could everyone's. There's nothing wrong with exploring new interests if you'd like to, but you've got good breadth in your ECs already, so I'd say focus on depth by building on what you've already got. Anything with higher degrees of responsibility or difficulty would help, particularly activities that have direct relevance to medicine. As long as you stay active, you should be fine.

• 2 weeks later...