Premed 101 Forums

Mcmaster Interview Discussion 2015

Nope I assure you the email made it very clear that it was not offering a wait-listed interview. Good luck!

Second. I can verify that it was a cookie cutter "be sure to give us more money next year" email. No interpretation could possibly make me have a wait listed interview I'm afraid.

And no, you shouldn't assume that applicants don't know how to read their own emails... Believe me, if anyone made a mistake reading their emails, it would be to wrongfully conclude they're wait listed, not to wrongfully conclude they're rejected.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the waitlist email:

Your application for the Michael G. DeGroote School of Medicine, McMaster University has been assessed and we regret to inform you that you have not been selected for an interview. However, your name has been placed on the interview Wait List.

So no lol, I really don't think people misread it either way.

Does anyone know what to do about the link within a rejected email? The one with the selection formula? It doesn't seem to work for me. Someone on this thread said to copy paste it into the browser but that hasn't worked either. Any tips?

I would just email them back (reply to the email) - that's what I did and they answered right away with the copy and paste answer, which I guess only works with an offered email.

Straight up rejection this year. Got to say I'm super bummed. This was my third time through and Mac is my Holy Grail school. First time around I was waitlisted for an interview and ended up getting it. Second time I got an interview right away and was waitlisted for acceptance. It's quite disheartening to go back a couple steps, especially after being so close last year. 

Straight up rejection this year. Got to say I'm super bummed. This was my third time through and Mac is my Holy Grail school. First time around I was waitlisted for an interview and ended up getting it. Second time I got an interview right away and was waitlisted for acceptance. It's quite disheartening to go back a couple steps, especially after being so close last year. 

Wow that sounds incredibly frustrating.

Sorry to hear :(

I don't understand how I could have done so poorly on Casper 2 years in a row. Even an average Casper performance should have got me an interview and my answers were sufficiently long and well reasoned. Does anyone know if Mac reads reference letters when deciding for interviews or if a red flag could come up in any other way?

I honestly don't understand how they can accurately determine my potential as a doctor with that test.

I don't understand how I could have done so poorly on Casper 2 years in a row. Even an average Casper performance should have got me an interview and my answers were sufficiently long and well reasoned. Does anyone know if Mac reads reference letters when deciding for interviews or if a red flag could come up in any other way?

I honestly don't understand how they can accurately determine my potential as a doctor with that test.

Casper is a crap shoot, its marked by various individuals. Some are first year medical students, some are members of the community, some are doctors etc. So with that kind of variability theres an element of luck to getting the interview I think. If that person reading your Casper response has read 200 others that day, what you think was an awesome answer can be just skimmed and tossed as another generic one. 

I'm excited for getting an interview here.  It's my first one - though things do look promising this year in general for other schools I've applied to (waiting on Ottawa, UWO, Toronto, Queens, Calgary, UBC, Alberta, Manitoba, and SASK - got rejected by McGill and did not apply to MEM or DAL).

In regards to Casper - it do think it's a bit silly in that in addition to clinicians, they have first year medical students reading it too.  Barely in school - and already considering the next generation.  I think there is a lot of value in having esteemed community members reading them too - but a bunch of 20 year olds with 4 months of medical school judging who gets in is ridiculous.

That being said, they gave me an interview, so who am I to complain.

How are people here preparing.  I know a couple of 4th years in London that got interviews, and we may try to get a group together for interview prep.

I'm excited for getting an interview here.  It's my first one - though things do look promising this year in general for other schools I've applied to (waiting on Ottawa, UWO, Toronto, Queens, Calgary, UBC, Alberta, Manitoba, and SASK - got rejected by McGill and did not apply to MEM or DAL).

In regards to Casper - it do think it's a bit silly in that in addition to clinicians, they have first year medical students reading it too.  Barely in school - and already considering the next generation.  I think there is a lot of value in having esteemed community members reading them too - but a bunch of 20 year olds with 4 months of medical school judging who gets in is ridiculous.

That being said, they gave me an interview, so who am I to complain.

How are people here preparing.  I know a couple of 4th years in London that got interviews, and we may try to get a group together for interview prep.

I think the medical students get involved because it's probably challenging to get enough physicians/community members to mark 5000 CASpers. 

Congrats on your interview. 

If anyone is coming from out of town for an interview and needs a place to stay I have an extra bedroom in my apartment. Bus stop is right outside leading to MDCL or a 15min walk away.

Send me a message with some info about yourself so I know that you're not going to murder me.

If anyone is coming from out of town for an interview and needs a place to stay I have an extra bedroom in my apartment. Bus stop is right outside leading to MDCL or a 15min walk away.

Send me a message with some info about yourself so I know that you're not going to murder me.

LOL how is a bit of info about oneself any assurance that you won't be murdered? 

Hi, my name is Jason V. I am an aspiring actor.  I plan to bring  my hockey goalie mask in case it gets cold and my machete in case the MMI has any station that requires demonstration of my surgical skills.

Is the room still available?  Do you live near a lake by any chance?

Hi, my name is Jason V. I am an aspiring actor.  I plan to bring  my hockey goalie mask in case it gets cold and my machete in case the MMI has any station that requires demonstration of my surgical skills.

Is the room still available?  Do you live near a lake by any chance?

This guy gets it. Evidence shows that having surgical skills as a premed correlates with a 250% increase in admissions success rates.

I may take you up on that. Check your messages. Several PM101 members have met me already and it would be an amazing feat of obsession to have kept up a blog for three years to lure you into a false sense of security. :-P

Hey Kanakari can I take you up on that offer? I promise to only kill you a little. 

However, on a serious note, does mac have an official billeting service? I think I can accommodate one or two students. If not I'll just make a post here on pm101 :D 

I'd like a place to stay Friday night for Saturday interview if someone can offer (ygella)?

I've stayed with a student when I interviewed there two years ago too (they did have official billeting run by the student society), and it was really helpful. Lived on Paisley so it was super close to campus.

McMaster has 203 seats. This year, they are interviewing 552 applicants (~10% of applicants.)

On May 12th, 203 people will receive acceptances. So, purely by chance, we each have nearly a 40% chance of getting a first round offer. BUT about 80 people decline their offers annually (from old waitlist data, they don't publish it anymore.) That means that ~280 of the interviewees will eventually receive an offer - half!

That means that the fact that we've made it this far is awesome. Half of us, ish, will receive offers from Mac. :)

McMaster has 203 seats. This year, they are interviewing 552 applicants (~10% of applicants.)

On May 12th, 203 people will receive acceptances. So, purely by chance, we each have nearly a 40% chance of getting a first round offer. BUT about 80 people decline their offers annually (from old waitlist data, they don't publish it anymore.) That means that ~280 of the interviewees will eventually receive an offer - half!

That means that the fact that we've made it this far is awesome. Half of us, ish, will receive offers from Mac. :)

thanks for that analysis! I was actually planning to dig up these numbers myself lol...but you saved me the trouble. 80 people declining offers seems like a lot though. 

thanks for that analysis! I was actually planning to dig up these numbers myself lol...but you saved me the trouble. 80 people declining offers seems like a lot though. 

Yeah, waitlist movement can be very different from year-to-year, so I wouldn't put too much stock on the 80 people figure (could be lower, could be higher). That being said, the interview:seat ratio at Mac is pretty darn good for a competitive process like this - your odds are as decent as they're going to get. Congratulations to all of you! Mac is pretty transparent about their post-interview acceptance formula (70% interview), so rock the interview and we'll see you next year.

Archived