Premed 101 Forums

Uoft Interview Discussion 2015

I discovered this (look at pg 11):

http://www.md.utoronto.ca/Assets/FacMed+Digital+Assets/Undergraduate+Medicine+Education+MD+Program/Vice+Dean+UME/UME+Annual+Report.pdf?method=1

This doc shows the stats on U of T admissions, but I'm curious as to what the numbers in the "files reviewed" category mean. For instance, in the 2013 year, U of T had 3153 applicants, and reviewed 1775 files...which means the other 1378 files are...?

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I discovered this (look at pg 11):

http://www.md.utoronto.ca/Assets/FacMed+Digital+Assets/Undergraduate+Medicine+Education+MD+Program/Vice+Dean+UME/UME+Annual+Report.pdf?method=1

This doc shows the stats on U of T admissions, but I'm curious as to what the numbers in the "files reviewed" category mean. For instance, in the 2013 year, U of T had 3153 applicants, and reviewed 1775 files...which means the other 1378 files are...?

They probably didn't meet the specific cut offs (GPA, MCAT, etc.) or had some error in their application

Are you me haha? I came across this document yesterday and was just going to post about it here.

It does sound crazy that 44% were disqualified. The only reason I can think of is that many people with 8  in one MCAT section apply to U of T as there has been cases of people admitted with an 8 traditionally (not anymore I think). 

EDIT: Perhaps, it isn't just a disqualification issue. Maybe they mean that only 1775 files were deemed to be competitive that year so they only reviewed those?

Anyone got more info?

What makes me angry is that that amounts to $151,580 ($110 x 1378 files) in application fees which U of T got paid for, for doing essentially nothing.  

What makes me angry is that that amounts to $151,580 ($110 x 1378 files) in application fees which U of T got paid for, for doing essentially nothing.  

Personally when I was applying, I thought of the $110(?) as the price of a lottery ticket. Universities can't possibly restrict students from applying. What you can do is to allow them to make an informed decision by providing as much information as possible, and it is entirely up to them as to whether they want to apply.

Just food for thought:

cGPA: 3.83

MCAT: above cut-off

Extra-curricular: 16 years as a teacher, extensive volunteer experience, some research experience including as head researcher

Essays: spent many weeks on them, had several people review them/give feedback....etc.

Got rejection in the first batch this year, so almost certainly disqualified for some reason, but they understandably have a policy of not giving feedback on individual applications.

So it's not just sub 9 MCATs and sub 3.6 GPA that don't make the first cut.

Good luck in your interviews everyone.  Maybe see some of you at McMaster interviews.

P

I would have to say that the biggest complaint in the Ontario process should be the OMSAS user interface, not how schools decide to populate their class. Given that we're paying over $200 just to use the system (or at least I think it was something like that), they need to get with the times. It is by far the most outdated, un-intuitive and frustrating system I have ever used. Given that it's so important applicants don't make mistakes in entering data, you would think more effort would be put into creating a useable system. 

Just food for thought:

cGPA: 3.83

MCAT: above cut-off

Extra-curricular: 16 years as a teacher, extensive volunteer experience, some research experience including as head researcher

Essays: spent many weeks on them, had several people review them/give feedback....etc.

Got rejection in the first batch this year, so almost certainly disqualified for some reason, but they understandably have a policy of not giving feedback on individual applications.

So it's not just sub 9 MCATs and sub 3.6 GPA that don't make the first cut.

Good luck in your interviews everyone.  Maybe see some of you at McMaster interviews.

P

Did they figure out your reference letter matter? 

ps. did anyone hear from uoft today? It seems like they might be done sending invites for the march weekend :( 

Incomplete applications can also mean people who did not submit their references or MCAT scores on time. Or people who did not fill out part of the application (ex. the pre-reqs part on OMSAS), etc.

Some people may have not known there were pre-reqs or thought they fulfilled the pre-reqs but actually did not. And some people may have thought they qualified for the weighing formula when in reality, they don't.

Last year they added an extra weekend which I believe was mostly for students with graduate degrees. Is the final interview weekend always mostly students with graduate degrees? Meaning the April weekend this year would mostly be for graduate students and not those with or in an undergrad degree. Or was that just something that happened last cycle? 

Did they figure out your reference letter matter? 

ps. did anyone hear from uoft today? It seems like they might be done sending invites for the march weekend :(

They didn't look into it, but confirmed that they did receive all my documents and OMSAS confirmed that they were stamped with the correct date.  Thanks for checking in.

I'm confused. Everyone keeps saying the March interview invites are all done but I haven't seen any for March 7th (minus that one rescheduling). Am I missing something?

I think people just aren't reporting their invites on premed tbh, sad cause it leaves room for more speculation but I would say don't get any hopes up for March now :(

I'm confused. Everyone keeps saying the March interview invites are all done but I haven't seen any for March 7th (minus that one rescheduling). Am I missing something?

There were a few others as well that received invites for March 7 and posted it on this discussion thread. Seeing as no other invites have gone out after that, it seems like the March weekend has been filled :(. Some people may hear back next week if a spot opens up because of rescheduling or cancellation. 

I just got offered an interview for for March 7, but will be in Ottawa for my interview in the afternoon (3:30pm) the day before on March 6. Does this count as a conflict that they will reschedule for or am I expected to be there because technically they are on different days?

Also if this is considered a conflict, do I check "I can confirm my availability for March 7" but then write in the box explaining my conflict? 

Thanks so much! 

I just got offered an interview for for March 7, but will be in Ottawa for my interview in the afternoon (3:30pm) the day before on March 6. Does this count as a conflict that they will reschedule for or am I expected to be there because technically they are on different days?

Also if this is considered a conflict, do I check "I can confirm my availability for March 7" but then write in the box explaining my conflict? 

Thanks so much! 

I feel like you should call and ask for your specific situation in this case. I doubt it'll be considered a conflict because it's not on the same day, but if you call, they might be able to schedule you for the afternoon session instead of the morning.

Archived