Premed 101 Forums

Uoft Interview Discussion 2015

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got a March 8th yesterday. Have Queen's March 7th but I don't think its such a big deal because I live in Toronto so I can come home following my Queen's interview and be ready for UofT the next day. Just pumped that I got one! If you're from out of town I can see them being more understanding with the back to back thing. 

If most of UofT's invites have gone out *i.e. 500/600* then why are there only 25 posts in the invite/regrets thread? Mac invited around 550 and there are 80 posts on that forum. Maybe people got hyped over mac sending their invites out all on the same day and were most likely to post idk

It definitely looks like most invites have been sent out. There are about 33 invites posted in the thread right now, compared to 100+ from last year, but you have to remember that a huge proportion of the posts from last year's thread are rejections which people posted at the end. If you look at last year's thread, there were about 38 invites before all the rejections started being posted, so we're not really that far from that number right now. 

Not that this means anything since the forum's popularity may be decreasing and all, but last year's thread had ~65 invites compared to ~30 this year. 

It definitely looks like most invites have been sent out. There are about 33 invites posted in the thread right now, compared to 100+ from last year, but you have to remember that a huge proportion of the posts from last year's thread are rejections which people posted at the end. If you look at last year's thread, there were about 38 invites before all the rejections started being posted, so we're not really that far from that number right now. 

Where are you getting the comment from? I can't find it on the blog/twitter/facebook

UofT on their blog comment "We can now confirm that the majority of the invitations for the March interview weekend have now been sent. As always, we do expect some last minute changes which may result in additional invitations being sent to fill any final spots."

This is going to be a very long and hard wait.... :(

UofT on their blog comment "We can now confirm that the majority of the invitations for the March interview weekend have now been sent. As always, we do expect some last minute changes which may result in additional invitations being sent to fill any final spots."

This is going to be a very long and hard wait.... :(

The blog seems to imply that they send out rejections along with the invitations as they go along, as in they're not hoarding the rejections for the end of the cycle. Sounds hard to believe

I just got offered an interview for for March 7, but will be in Ottawa for my interview in the afternoon (3:30pm) the day before on March 6. Does this count as a conflict that they will reschedule for or am I expected to be there because technically they are on different days?

Also if this is considered a conflict, do I check "I can confirm my availability for March 7" but then write in the box explaining my conflict? 

Thanks so much! 

You can call them if you want.

They can and will reschedule if it conflicts with another interview (I speak through experience), though I personally don't think yours will be a conflict. There is a VIA train on March 6th that leaves from Ottawa at 6:17pm and arrives in Toronto at 10:57pm. It's not the most ideal, but it will work. If you're really feeling clutch there's also a train that leaves from Ottawa at 5:06pm.

How is this possible? On the same blog you linked there's another comment from admissions stating that they take the most recent MCAT and that minimums are firm...

Seems a little weird to me too. U of T explicity says they take the most recent test score, so a 6 in verbal is well below the minimum. However, they do state "Scores below the minimum will jeopardise the success of the application" , I guess this means a section score below a 9 is not an automatic rejection.

Here's the text from the website:

Hi there. As we state on our website, applying with scores below the minimum will jeopardise the success of your application. That means if your MCAT score falls below the minimum of 9 in each section, there is a strong chance that your file will not proceed for review, regardless of your applicant type (undergraduate or graduate). In recent years this minimum has been firm. It is our policy to only consider the most recent MCAT scores; no previous test scores will be considered.
Remember, we use the MCAT as a threshold only, and as such, marks higher than the minimums do not improve the chances of the application. Hope that helps!

I'm only bringing this up because I have friends that didn't apply due to not having a 9 in VR. We were all under the impression that they wouldn't even look at you regardless of your degree/year unless you passed the minimum.

They may take PH.D. into account by lowering MCAT threshold. :rolleyes:

No, I agree that you're crazy competitive and I'd be surprised if you didn't get in this year. Though did you apply hoping that they wouldn't disqualify you, or was there some communication to you that suggested they'd still look at you? You don't have to answer that if you're uncomfortable.

I certainly stirred some stew here. Relax mates. My only explanation, and according to uToronto site, is that "Graduate applicants may undergo a separate graduate application review." I was certainly flagged for the second MCAT score (Not sure if they considered that I am an ESL speaker!!). However, I would say that my leadership experiences, PhD, and Vanier Canada Scholarship ($150 000) were the decisive factors for the graduate file review.

Archived