Premed 101 Forums

Uoft Interview Discussion 2015

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This happened on the Admissions Blog:

"This post was posted on the premed 101 blog “Timestamp: -----″ I understand that it is by no means an official way of disseminating information but I am very surprised about its content. If it is true that an individual with a 6 in one section received an interview, then that means that the admission process is completely unpredictable, not transparent, unfair, and that there are no rules to be followed by the selection committee. On the website it indicates that in present time you are adhering to the minimum requirements of 9/9/9 due to application numbers and many people have already received an automatic rejection without file review because they did not make the GPA or MCAT cutoffs or part of their application was incomplete. On behalf of applicants we at least ask to have guidelines for a transparent selection process so people can be fully informed."

"This post was posted on the premed 101 blog “Timestamp: Feb 25th 4:50 PM Interview: Yes Interview Date: March 7th GPA: 3.93 MCAT: PS 12 VR 9 BS 12 followed by PS 10 VR 6 BS 10″ I understand that it is by no means an official way of disseminating information but I am very surprised about its content. If it is true that an individual with a 6 in one section received an interview, then that means that the admission process is completely unpredictable, not transparent, unfair, and that there are no rules to be followed by the selection committee. On the website it indicates that in present time you are adhering to the minimum requirements of 9/9/9 due to application numbers and many people have already received an automatic rejection without file review because they did not make the GPA or MCAT cutoffs or part of their application was incomplete. On behalf of applicants we at least ask to have guidelines for a transparent selection process so people can be fully informed."

And this is why I am sometimes paranoid of sharing my information on here. Geez. To the poster who has those stats (6 VR), I am rooting for you. I hope you get in, I really do. Someone with those accomplishments should be able to get past a simple low score on one section of a standardized test. A lot of premeds are just .... no words to describe

I don't know how much credibility I have on an online forum, but I wanted to state that I did not post that on there before someone blames me. It would probably not be difficult for Admissions to figure out who that post is referring to, and that does not sit okay with me. Obviously I have no proof, but I have a ton of identifying information in my own post on the invites thread and am now concerned about sharing information on here...

"This post was posted on the premed 101 blog “Timestamp: Feb 25th 4:50 PM Interview: Yes Interview Date: March 7th GPA: 3.93 MCAT: PS 12 VR 9 BS 12 followed by PS 10 VR 6 BS 10″ I understand that it is by no means an official way of disseminating information but I am very surprised about its content. If it is true that an individual with a 6 in one section received an interview, then that means that the admission process is completely unpredictable, not transparent, unfair, and that there are no rules to be followed by the selection committee. On the website it indicates that in present time you are adhering to the minimum requirements of 9/9/9 due to application numbers and many people have already received an automatic rejection without file review because they did not make the GPA or MCAT cutoffs or part of their application was incomplete. On behalf of applicants we at least ask to have guidelines for a transparent selection process so people can be fully informed."

From the admissions blog: 

Question: "I was wondering whether the final interview date is mainly for graduate students?"

Answer: "Thanks for your question DPU. The final interview date will include invitations for both graduate and undergraduate applicants. This is the case for all interview dates."

I don't know how much credibility I have on an online forum, but I wanted to state that I did not post that on there before someone blames me. It would probably not be difficult for Admissions to figure out who that post is referring to, and that does not sit okay with me. Obviously I have no proof, but I have a ton of identifying information in my own post on the invites thread and am now concerned about sharing information on here...

Probably one of the reasons why the number of people posting invites/regrets has declined over the years. Admissions actually check these forums nowadays

They already have:

Thanks for your question Erik. As you might suspect, we cannot verify the validity of postings on the Premed 101 forum – so we can’t comment on whether this post is reflective of an actual interview invitation that was released or not.
In terms of MCAT, just as you have pointed out in your comments our MCAT policy states that our minimum requirement is 9 in each of the three sections and scores below this minimum would jeopardize the success of an application. More on this here:http://www.md.utoronto.ca/admissions/information/requirements/Academic/MCAT.htm
If you have any further questions about this, you can always give us a call at the Admissions Office – we are happy to help.

Sounds like they're not strictly enforcing it... even though on the site it says that "Minimum scores of 9 in each of the three sections are required," as Erik already mentioned in his comment on the blog. Does anyone else get the feeling they're kind of purposely being vague in their response?

Thanks, dunno how I missed that.

Hmm, interesting. They very clearly stated they enforce the cut offs strongly. I wonder how they will respond to the blog post.

I missed the post of the VR6 before they edited it out. What were the ECs like? I'm really curious now...

I really think all of this attention is a bit much. That person didn't intend to stir up drama or draw this frivolous attention to himself. Let's please just leave the issue alone and respect that person's space. If he/she deleted that post, it was probably because they felt ostracized in this environment.

It is so disappointing how people lost their minds over that post. The best part is that some of the people who were most butthurt about it actually had interviews from UofT. I'm rooting for that guy. Why? Because he didn't deserve this kind of negative attention and I personally thought he had a really interesting/well rounded background. Hope all goes well for him. 

Honestly, I've always thought of ppl posting their stats as doing a huge favour for all of us. That info is personal and to be willing to share it means a lot to someone like me since I feel like I've definitely benefited and learned a lot from lurking that kind of stuff.

Also, it's nice to see Toronto doesn't just simply discard applications that don't mean "cut offs". It implies they give a shit and still take the time to review all apps in a sense. It really does show that their approach is holistic.

Unfortunately given this is the internet, the poster is not verifiable. However, there are 2 mutually exclusive and exhaustive cases:

Case 1: The person trolled. You can either get suckered in to the hype, or you don't. If this is the case, everyone should relax.

Case 2: The person was being 100% honest. Either be thankful for the information, or don't. Operating under the assumption that it was truth, it simply goes to show you that you miss 100% of the shots you don't take... I don't think anyone would argue with that idea. If this is the case, everyone should relax.

In either case, being gracious is key here. You're all potentially future physicians, so let's act like it.

Ya, I don't get bitterness.  I'm very curious about why I was cut in the first round, and I looked into it to make sure there wasn't a clerical error because of a situation with my file through OMSAS, but at no point have I felt hostility towards other applicants or the admissions team.  All the admin at OMSAS and U of T have been helpful.  I'm not going to lie, I am envious of all those who received invites, but anger and vitriol simply don't help you feel better about disappointment.

One other thing I wanted to add is that the poster would likely be put in a rather vulnerable position. Assuming their integrity, how many other applicants would be invited with those stats? We know the adcoms creep the forums, they would likely know exactly who the applicant was.

Again, let's try to "be excellent to each other."

Archived