Premed 101 Forums

Uoft Interview Discussion 2015

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Riverpeth, on 02 Mar 2015 - 03:05 AM, said:

You claim that it is a childish debate but that only makes you come across as arrogant and unsympathetic, unwilling to maturely consider both sides equally (not good qualities in a future physician). 

To the applicant I am cheering for you!!  Your situation is a copy of mine, I have a PhD in Software Engineering!!  Please reply to my private messages (wink* wink*)

To Riverpeth, thank you for your lessons in democracy.  Let me add another thought here too: "you sound like a foolish entitled brat!!!".   You realize that while an MD is an undergraduate degree, a Ph.D. is a graduate degree.  You rant like a kid and surprisingly have the audacity to criticize the suitability of others in medicine.  Do you have a Narcissistic Personality Disorder!!!!!   I can assure you that YOU have no "empathy" (sympathy is the wrong word to use..idiot!!!).  Oh and I hope Queen's refuses your "@$$".    While I am at it, remember that your personal information is not as protected as you think (this is an IP.Board you fool). 

Brought to you by "This is democracy!!!!"   <-------  not Spartaaaaaa

The 9-9-9 minimum cut off is clear on both U of T admin site as well as OMSAS 2015 doc.

For the majority of “typical” applications from  4th (& 3RD)  year undergrads this is likely cast in stone.      U of T admissions sure does not need the overhead of sifting through an additional 1000 undergrad applications on a 1/1000000  wing-and-a-prayer long shot beyond what I  suspect they already receive. 

What this does suggest is UofT does allow leeway for med-focused PhD students, which I have no problem with.     I suspect the grad student supplementary fished this applicant back out of the cut-off pile.     This pathway is not applicable to many of the people that might be whining about this thread.

(I’m still not discounting the Troll theory as well though).

Riverpeth, on 02 Mar 2015 - 03:05 AM, said:

To the applicant I am cheering for you!!  Your situation is a copy of mine, I have a PhD in Software Engineering!!  Please reply to my private messages (wink* wink*)

To Riverpeth, thank you for your lessons in democracy.  Let me add another thought here too: "you sound like a foolish entitled brat!!!".   You realize that while an MD is an undergraduate degree, a Ph.D. is a graduate degree.  You rant like a kid and surprisingly have the audacity to criticize the suitability of others in medicine.  Do you have a Narcissistic Personality Disorder!!!!!   I can assure you that YOU have no "empathy" (sympathy is the wrong word to use..idiot!!!).  Oh and I hope Queen's refuses your "@$$".    While I am at it, remember that your personal information is not as protected as you think (this is an IP.Board you fool). 

Brought to you by "This is democracy!!!!"   <-------  not Spartaaaaaa

LOL

1) I have a graduate degree, so thanks for making assumptions and coming across ignorant

2) Nothing I have said was disrespectful or out-of-place. If you go back to read everything I have said I have only been understanding and tried to make people consider both sides of the situation. I never once disagreed with the student "0-0" getting an interview, and in fact think it was good and demonstrates the holistic nature of the process. My ONLY issue was ever the contradictory rules on the UofT website. Throwing around exclamation marks and making inflammatory remarks does not make you sound intelligent or make your argument sound any more valid. 

@mathtomed "People made their feelings heard and encroached upon the rights and freedoms of him/her...but when it's reciprocated (very loosely speaking) in any way, it's a problem? " Yes, yes it is, and the fact that you fail to understand that speaks volumes. Does the world function on an eye for an eye? I don't agree with those who attacked "0-0" in the first place (and I never claimed to, in fact I expressed my disappointment with the fact that people had) and I don't agree that "0-0" should have attacked back.

What attack are you talking about??  You consider presenting their point or feelings as a reciprocal attack.   (You have no empathy Judge Riverpeth).   Also, my delusional fool, aren't you the one who was giving us a lesson in democracy?!!  So now you are disappointed that he exercised his rights.  

What attack are you talking about??  You consider presenting their point or feelings as a reciprocal attack.   (You have no empathy Judge Riverpeth).   Also, my delusional fool, aren't you the one who was giving us a lesson in democracy?!!  So now you are disappointed that he exercised his rights.  

I'm done feeding the troll, have a nice day.

@mathtomed "People made their feelings heard and encroached upon the rights and freedoms of him/her...but when it's reciprocated (very loosely speaking) in any way, it's a problem? " Yes, yes it is, and the fact that you fail to understand that speaks volumes. Does the world function on an eye for an eye? I don't agree with those who attacked "0-0" in the first place (and I never claimed to, in fact I expressed my disappointment with the fact that people had) and I don't agree that "0-0" should have attacked back.

...Attacked back? By saying it's a childish debate?

I think we're done here.

Thanks for the positive feedback.  However, I am amazed by the negative feelings that some have.  I really hope I don't become their colleague or patient.   Please refer to the UofT admission website before you accuse a school of non-transparency.  There is no indication of any "hard" deadlines or cut-offs.   

"Scores below the minimum will jeopardise the success of the application. We use the MCAT as a threshold only, and as such, marks higher than the minimums do not improve the chances of the application." 

If I as an ESL speaker was able to decipher that there is a chance around the "requirement", then you have no right to linguistically justify your confusion.       

I didn't want to be involved in such a childish debate.  However, just as the previous applicants were of help for me, I will push it forward.  Please remember that the required GPA and MCAT scores are employed to predict the academic success of an applicant.   If you have an additional methods to prove your potentiality then you should assume the risk of applying; for example I am a PhD Vanier Canada scholar.  In addition, if you are not aware, graduate students have an additional supplementary application to submit and are assessed by a separate graduate application review.  

"Graduate applicants may undergo a separate graduate application review."

To prove that no requirement is static, I never had a full-year course load during my undergraduate studies (was studying and working), and despite that I received an interview to McGill this year.  Also, I am not a native of any rural community (lived in a refugee camp though) but I still received an invitation to NOSM this year.   If you don't believe in yourself no-one will.  Even if you have 1/1000000 chance, just go for it.  I was once accepted to McMaster School of Medicine and there was only one seat allocated for international students (Unfortunately I couldn't pay the international tuition fees at the time).  Thus, my two cents is to take Med-School requirements with a grain of salt and don't look at the odds.  Show the reviewing committee that you are more than a set of numbers.   

You have such a great attitude, and your interviews to all of these schools despite non-ideal circumstances is inspiring. 

Although I agree with much of what you have said, I cannot agree with your statement that "There is no indication of any "hard" deadlines or cut-offs." Regardless of confounding information, the website clearly states in *bold*  Minimum scores of 9 in each of the three sections are required. This is completely contradictory to the idea that it will only "jeopardize" one's application. It is either required, or it is not. Requirements are binary and this is not an argument of linguistics. Your comment is the equivalent of me saying that it is clearly required and there is no indication that it is flexible. Just as the passage supports one side of the issue, it simultaneously supports the other.

You claim that it is a childish debate but that only makes you come across as arrogant and unsympathetic, unwilling to maturely consider both sides equally (not good qualities in a future physician). Just as you stated that you could not afford to attend McMaster you should understand that not everyone has the financial stability to be able to apply to as many schools as you have, and as such they should have an unambiguous understanding of where they should "try their luck" and "believe" in themselves. Furthermore, to claim that one has "no right" to air their grievances with this issue is incredibly naive. As we live in a country that support freedom of speech, we have every right to make our feelings heard as long as they don't encroach upon the rights and freedoms of others. Now I know that some people have been aggressive, and gone about explaining their point in the wrong way, but that does not entitle you to shut down the concept in it's entirety.

If this matters to you so much, politely voice your concerns to the University of Toronto. I'm sure they listen to and value feedback.

There is no point to claiming indignation on this forum. It produces nothing, and ultimately these schools are at liberty to do as they please. They owe us nothing, and UofT already gives us a lot more information about their admissions policy than a lot of other schools do (i.e. Queen's, which has never published past MCAT/GPA cutoffs).

Would it be better if they decided to not publish anything about the MCAT at all and then cut anyone without 9/9/9? 

Hi everyone,

For those of you who got a phone call from U of T regarding an interview, what number came up on your phone? Also, did they send you an email as well?

I didn't receive anything from them :( but if the call is being placed from U of T (which I assume it would be) then the phone number would most likely take the form of 416-978-XXXX. 

If this matters to you so much, politely voice your concerns to the University of Toronto. I'm sure they listen to and value feedback.

There is no point to claiming indignation on this forum. It produces nothing, and ultimately these schools are at liberty to do as they please. They owe us nothing, and UofT already gives us a lot more information about their admissions policy than a lot of other schools do (i.e. Queen's, which has never published past MCAT/GPA cutoffs).

Would it be better if they decided to not publish anything about the MCAT at all and then cut anyone without 9/9/9? 

I get the feeling you joined in midway through and did not read the entire conversation. Just to make it clear, I support the applicant receiving an interview (I never said otherwise), I only responded to those who claimed people didn't have a right to voice their concern. Some individuals were blindly siding with UofT as opposed to hearing out those who had an issue with the mixed information. That is all. Furthermore, I was never anything but polite, unlike a few here who resorted to name calling (quite surprising considering the audience)

Hi everyone,

For those of you who got a phone call from U of T regarding an interview, what number came up on your phone? Also, did they send you an email as well?

It said University of Toronto (don't know the number since caller ID put the name there). They sent me an email once I told them I would be able to attend the date they offered.

It said University of Toronto (don't know the number since caller ID put the name there). They sent me an email once I told them I would be able to attend the date they offered.

Thanks, around what time did they call you?

Has anyone gotten a call or knows of anyone who was called by UofT to fill seats for the March weekend?

Thanks, around what time did they call you?

Has anyone gotten a call or knows of anyone who was called by UofT to fill seats for the March weekend?

I think it was around 2 oclock? I dont really remember the exact time. I doubt there is any systematic phone calling though so its probably not relevant.

I guess now they are reviewing the remaining applicants who could get the 120 interview seats on April 18th. Does anybody have a idea on how many applicants are left to compete for 120 seats? 

Wait, can someone confirm this: There are still 120 seats left for remaining applicants?? That sounds way too good to be true.

I suppose my next question would be: How many applicants currently waiting will be interviewed?

Wait, can someone confirm this: There are still 120 seats left for remaining applicants?? That sounds way too good to be true.

I suppose my next question would be: How many applicants currently waiting will be interviewed?

They interview approx. 120 candidates per interview day. 1 interview day left = approx. 120 interviews remaining. How many applicants have not been invited or rejected yet is anyone's guess.

Archived