Premed 101 Forums

Uoft Interview Discussion 2015

Riverpeth, on 02 Mar 2015 - 03:05 AM, said:

To the applicant I am cheering for you!!  Your situation is a copy of mine, I have a PhD in Software Engineering!!  Please reply to my private messages (wink* wink*)

To Riverpeth, thank you for your lessons in democracy.  Let me add another thought here too: "you sound like a foolish entitled brat!!!".   You realize that while an MD is an undergraduate degree, a Ph.D. is a graduate degree.  You rant like a kid and surprisingly have the audacity to criticize the suitability of others in medicine.  Do you have a Narcissistic Personality Disorder!!!!!   I can assure you that YOU have no "empathy" (sympathy is the wrong word to use..idiot!!!).  Oh and I hope Queen's refuses your "@$$".    While I am at it, remember that your personal information is not as protected as you think (this is an IP.Board you fool). 

Brought to you by "This is democracy!!!!"   <-------  not Spartaaaaaa

What attack are you talking about??  You consider presenting their point or feelings as a reciprocal attack.   (You have no empathy Judge Riverpeth).   Also, my delusional fool, aren't you the one who was giving us a lesson in democracy?!!  So now you are disappointed that he exercised his rights.  

All right, graduate student, who has a PhD in software engineering. Attacking people online. Cool story.

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I disagree for the reason robchem stated. Your invite timing is a matter of temporality. You'll see a distribution of file scores across all interview weekends; others have corroborated by noting that those from later weekends stand no less a chance of receiving an offer than those from earlier weekends come May. Observing "stronger" candidates invited earlier is most likely an issue of interpretation bias or sampling error. 

I think your best bet is to go through what the official mediums say about this and not hypothesize too much. 

I think this is probably the best approach. Over analyzing it will just lead to undue stress regarding the whole process.

Assuming that students from outside the province (long distance to travel assumption) are usually invited on the last date of interviews, also assuming that they have to meet higher cutoffs; doesn't that make the last interview pool more competitive. 

Assuming that students from outside the province (long distance to travel assumption) are usually invited on the last date of interviews, also assuming that they have to meet higher cutoffs; doesn't that make the last interview pool more competitive. 

Where did you read that OOP applicants are usually invited on the last date of interviews? Practically, wouldn't it make more sense to invite OOP and "In-province but far from Toronto" applicants on the earlier dates, that way they have more flexibility with regards to rescheduling?

My understanding (and of course, I could be wrong here) was that they didn't necessarily schedule OOPs on the later interview dates...but the first interview date exclusively, was reserved predominantly for IPs as they had less time to make travel accommodations. Very few OOPs were invited on the first weekend, but I don't think that necessarily means that the last weekend is reserved almost exclusively for OOPs.

This might be applicable this year:

https://utmedadmissions.wordpress.com/2013/02/28/interview-invitations-march-22-23-and-24/#comments

1. Justin says:
    on February 28, 2013 at 12:06 pm
    Thank you for the most recent post. Many graduate applicants are wanting some clarification whether the grad invites will be sent for the late march interview dates or the early April dates. Thank you.
    All best
    Justin

utmedadmissions
    on February 28, 2013 at 1:26 pm
    It will be a mix between the last two weekends, with the majority of grad applicants being invited for interview in April. That being said, none of the weekends are designated as “grad-specific.”

I also want to address the point of "lower file scores" receiving "last minute interviews." At Ottawa, when I applied, I didn't get an invite. I got an invite a couple weeks later when pple declined. So, walking into the interview, I knew I was literally one of the LAST of the 500ish applicants with an interview. However, I received an offer despite that (though to be fair, Ottawa goes by interview score first, and then GPA). So, given we don't know how much weight UT gives to the interview at present, I think discussing this is fairly useless. Do the best you can at the interview, and if you are that good, you will get it. 

Literally, nothing matters at this point. Didn't get an interview? Try harder. Got an interview? DO WELL. Then spend the next 1-2 months worrying (it's easy to say don't worry so I won't. I worried every second till May 14). And wait for the decision. If it isn't favorable, take a few weeks to mope and cry and then come back stronger. This is not an easy game.

Good luck!!!!

This might be applicable this year:

https://utmedadmissions.wordpress.com/2013/02/28/interview-invitations-march-22-23-and-24/#comments

1. Justin says:
    on February 28, 2013 at 12:06 pm

Thank you for the most recent post. Many graduate applicants are wanting some clarification whether the grad invites will be sent for the late march interview dates or the early April dates. Thank you.

All best

Justin

utmedadmissions

on February 28, 2013 at 1:26 pm

It will be a mix between the last two weekends, with the majority of grad applicants being invited for interview in April. That being said, none of the weekends are designated as “grad-specific.”

This is the greatest news I've heard all day, there's still hope! :)

Keep in mind this is from 2013

Lol, I know, still optimistic though. I doubt they would change the process much in those two years. It also seems weird that there's such a delay between the first two weekends of interviews and the April weekend, which I assume is for a longer review process of graduate applicant supplementary material.

Lol, I know, still optimistic though. I doubt they would change the process much in those two years. It also seems weird that there's such a delay between the first two weekends of interviews and the April weekend, which I assume is for a longer review process of graduate applicant supplementary material.

Applications are submitted October 1 (Nov 1 for grad supplemental). If the first 5 months arent enough to review a CV and one extra letter, than I'm not sure the extra 2 weeks are quite going to cut it. Haha.

Applications are submitted October 1 (Nov 1 for grad supplemental). If the first 5 months arent enough to review a CV and one extra letter, than I'm not sure the extra 2 weeks are quite going to cut it. Haha.

I believe it takes time for OMSAS to organize all the materials to give to each school. Sometimes, the schools don't receive the packages to review until December.

I believe it takes time for OMSAS to organize all the materials to give to each school. Sometimes, the schools don't receive the packages to review until December.

Yea I think the schools get the applications significantly later than the OMSAS deadline of Oct. When I saw the Nov 1 deadline for references, I felt that the files likely don't get forwarded to UT till after that date. Could be wrong though.

Is anyone else dying from this long wait? I really hope the invites/ rejections come out next week instead of April. I would really like to know what I am doing next year and if I should be applying to masters! It is also killing me that we have no idea how many more rejections they have to send out. 

I highly recommend applying to a masters - not only is it a solid backup plan, it's a wonderful experience and the earlier you apply, the more financial incentives they provide.

You can always accept the offer, pay a deposit, and then forfeit the deposit in the event you get into UofT. That's what I'm hoping for!

The only thing of doing a Master Degree is you cannot apply medschools until you complete it & get the degree as many of Master degrees are 2 years program & almost all medschools have that requirement. And if you delay the completion of Master Degree, you cannot go to medschool even you are accepted.

I highly recommend applying to a masters - not only is it a solid backup plan, it's a wonderful experience and the earlier you apply, the more financial incentives they provide.

You can always accept the offer, pay a deposit, and then forfeit the deposit in the event you get into UofT. That's what I'm hoping for!

The only thing of doing a Master Degree is you cannot apply medschools until you complete it & get the degree as many of Master degrees are 2 years program & almost all medschools have that requirement. And if you delay the completion of Master Degree, you cannot go to medschool even you are accepted.

I too would caution starting a masters degree unless you're sure of it. I would never approach a masters as a stepping stone towards med school unless you need to seriously salvage your GPA (and even then I think the effects are minimal at most schools). If you know medicine is what you want to do, there are, in my opinion, a lot better ways to buff-up your application post-graduation than starting an advanced degree.

Archived