Premed 101 Forums

Uoft Interview Discussion 2015

I think application fees are mostly for administrative tasks. Such as sorting through the files, making sure all the reference letters got there and match the application, going through the transcript to re-calculate GPA based on their weighing formula, making copies of the application for the reviewers, etc.

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haven't done panel, only MMI and MPI.

For the MPI, it's a little more on-the-spot than MMI, since you don't get a chance to think about your answers before walking into the room. However, I'd say that each room kind of has a "theme" to it like an MMI.

One thing is that for one of my stations, I didn't realise that the interviewer had more questions for me, so it was a little awkward because they had to cut me off during my first answer to continue down their list. 

Ahh good to know. I suppose keeping answers relatively concise is a good strategy then. 

Rejected. Disappointed, but I had already mentally moved on. Fingers crossed for May 12th and 15th. Hope they're at least sending some invites out still, so that there was a reason to keep a lot of people in limbo this long.

Good luck everyone interviewing!

I had hoped to at least have an interview so it certainly stings a little. But I gotta say the worst was the waiting period near the end of Feb when the first wave of invites were sent out. Also I can sort of guess why I got rejected. I had a falling out with my grad school supervisor so I don't think he wrote me a good ref letter (which also raises the question of how important the LORs really are, and I believe it's very important). In fact, I won't be surprised if he wrote me a bad letter.

Also in retrospect I think I screwed up on two essays.

Good luck to all interviewees. You guys all deserve it more than I do.

Rejected. Disappointed, but I had already mentally moved on. Fingers crossed for May 12th and 15th. Hope they're at least sending some invites out still, so that there was a reason to keep a lot of people in limbo this long.

Good luck everyone interviewing!

I've always been under the impression that you are from Newfoundland...weird...

Guys this is a totally random question, but my friend just asked me and I don't know the answer. How do you know if you qualify for GPA weighting? If you have completed your undergrad do you still qualify? Or is it only if you are in your undergrad at the time you apply?

I think it applies to having done at least 3 years, taking full course load in each, excluding summers. 

The U of T Med admissions blog states that "Please note, every year we do hold off on releasing some of our decisions until the final interview date. This is to ensure that should there be any last minute interview cancellations we will be able to offer these spots to additional applicants." 

Considering the above, does anyone know if being rejected late is actually better than being rejected early? Their statement seems to indicate that people who are rejected late were on the cusp of being interviewed because they would get the spot if someone cancelled.

Just speculation. Does anyone know if there is any truth to this?

The U of T Med admissions blog states that "Please note, every year we do hold off on releasing some of our decisions until the final interview date. This is to ensure that should there be any last minute interview cancellations we will be able to offer these spots to additional applicants." 

Considering the above, does anyone know if being rejected late is actually better than being rejected early? Their statement seems to indicate that people who are rejected late were on the cusp of being interviewed because they would get the spot if someone cancelled.

Just speculation. Does anyone know if there is any truth to this?

Not sure if this would answer your question but last year  (last year of my MSc) I applied to U of T and didn't hear back until AFTER the last interview date, like the Monday after. I remember thinking that they were going to add another date. This was AFTER they posted a Facebook message saying that all the rejections have been sent out, and to please reapply. When that FB post was made, I called the Admissions Office thinking that I had actually forgotten to apply to U of T. They basically told me that I was a back-up for interviews in case someone bailed last minute but since the interview date had just passed and they have decided not to add additional dates, I'll be receiving an email shortly informing me of my rejection. I received an email 2 hours later...

That was my last year of MSc, I've since graduated, got a job and reapplied this year with my publications and some more additions to my CV, and sure enough I got an interview in March (which I thought went well!!)

So to answer your question, last year I was thinking the exact same thing you are: that I was on the cusp. I reapplied, and turned out I was correct. Or maybe really luck!

Best of luck!

Received a rejection as well :( Extremely despondent after the long wait particularly without any interview secured for any school. Good Luck people.

Don't worry, maybe next application. I've gone through two without any, thus why I am doing this second degree to increase my GPA and redoing the MCAT. It's all about perseverance and self-improvement, in whatever way is the most beneficial for you. I know there isn't much to do in terms of comforting yourself after that initial feeling of "Shit, all that work, and I got nothing". But you will get past it, you will grow stronger, and if you work super hard again, you can reach your goal. Just need to believe in yourself and do what you can do make a super strong application :).

For now, just focus on exams if you have them, and try and have some fun this summer!

Not sure if this would answer your question but last year  (last year of my MSc) I applied to U of T and didn't hear back until AFTER the last interview date, like the Monday after. I remember thinking that they were going to add another date. This was AFTER they posted a Facebook message saying that all the rejections have been sent out, and to please reapply. When that FB post was made, I called the Admissions Office thinking that I had actually forgotten to apply to U of T. They basically told me that I was a back-up for interviews in case someone bailed last minute but since the interview date had just passed and they have decided not to add additional dates, I'll be receiving an email shortly informing me of my rejection. I received an email 2 hours later...

That was my last year of MSc, I've since graduated, got a job and reapplied this year with my publications and some more additions to my CV, and sure enough I got an interview in March (which I thought went well!!)

So to answer your question, last year I was thinking the exact same thing you are: that I was on the cusp. I reapplied, and turned out I was correct. Or maybe really luck!

Best of luck!

Congratulations on the interview!! Glad to hear that it went well. Hope you will get good news come May! 

Thanks for replying and sharing your experience. Let's hope we are correct in our thinking!

After clicking on one of the links from a previous post in this thread, I eventually came to this site: http://www.medhopeful.com/e-book-mastering-the-admissions-essay-university-of-toronto-medical-school/

Has anyone used this resource? Is it helpful? Is it even legal for the author to advertise himself as a "mentor" in this context and use his status as a (past) UofT medical student for financial gain?

I know of him. He went to YorkU and comes once in a while for a "How to get into med school" talk. He seems legit.

Except his grammar is terrible (lol :P ):

• Why each of the 4 essay questions is (are?) asked 

No one every teaches you how to write a strong admissions essay. 

Archived