Premed 101 Forums

Uoft Interview Discussion 2015

I really hope more are coming out today! But I noticed that on the invite thread some people got an invite at 7 pm and others at 5 pm. So if they were continuously sending invites from 5 to 7 pm, I doubt they have more to send for today :( ....unless they only sent a few invites at 5 pm and then a few at 7pm 

Still no March 7th dates in the interview invite thread. Hopefully there's more.

If anyone got that date, please share.

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"We have started to send out interview invitations for the March 7-8 interview weekend. Congratulations to all who have received an invite so far! Like last time, this will be an ongoing process and we expect more invitations will be sent out over the next week. Continue to check your email for updates."

​- from the Facebook group! Still more invites on the way

"We have started to send out interview invitations for the March 7-8 interview weekend. Congratulations to all who have received an invite so far! Like last time, this will be an ongoing process and we expect more invitations will be sent out over the next week. Continue to check your email for updates."

​- from the Facebook group! Still more invites on the way

That's exactly what they said last time and the only emails they sent out over the week were due to cancellations by previously scheduled interviewees. Using the last invite batch as an exemplary model, it's likely that most, if not all, seats are filled for March 7/8 and they will only release more invites if someone cancels/reschedules. This is all speculation, I hope I'm wrong haha.

That's exactly what they said last time and the only emails they sent out over the week were due to cancellations by previously scheduled interviewees. Using the last invite batch as an exemplary model, it's likely that most, if not all, seats are filled for March 7/8 and they will only release more invites if someone cancels/reschedules. This is all speculation, I hope I'm wrong haha.

my thoughts exactly  :P

This is really frustrating. I would rather they reject me now instead of dragging it out until April :( I also find their updates very ambiguous. Does "We have started to send out interview invitations" imply that the majority have already been sent out, or more will be sent out today?

Oh well...we'll just have to wait.

Yeah, I went through that last year and it's happening exactly the same way :/

Yeah, I went through that last year and it's happening exactly the same way :/

Last year, I got rejected right before or just after the verrrrrrrrrrry last weekend. A few days after they released a Facebook post that said that all the invitations have been sent out, I still didn't hear anything. This must've been in April. Finally, maybe the Monday after the last interview weekend I heard back. Something like that...it was nuts. Not even holding my breath this year....

I really wonder why the invite thread is so quiet. Last year it had 110 responses by the end. Weird. 

I think we're the last of the "Forum Generation" (those of us that still post on forums) that haven't gotten into med school. More and more undergrads these days are probably on **DELETED** or something else and talking about premed there.

I think we're the last of the "Forum Generation" (those of us that still post on forums) that haven't gotten into med school. More and more undergrads these days are probably on **DELETED** or something else and talking about premed there.

Interesting theory, but the McMaster and Ottawa invite/regrets threads have plenty of activity on them :P 

U of T has distinguished itself as the joke of medical school admissions:

1) Why can every other school send out invites/rejections on the same day- this is respectful and professional to applicants.  It is an anxious time for everyone involved and U of T is being very inconsiderate.

2) It is also unprofessional to send out invites less than 2 weeks before an interview, this is almost unheard of for professional schools.

3) Let's talk about the correct use of social media in medicine- it is not to announce invites/regrets.  Why would they post on their facebook page that invites are going out and that they are mostly for local or OOP applicants?  Clearly, someone at U of T has extra time or is not being productive.  The most professional and polite thing to do is personally email all applicants before going on facebook.

4) U of T is among the schools with the highest tuition and funding from the government.  There are countless admins in hospitals and in the med school.  Hire more people or ensure these people are being production so that the admissions process can be better facilitated. 

Someone should really be accountable for this.  If this is the way they run their med school- then people should really choose them last. 

U of T has distinguished itself as the joke of medical school admissions:

1) Why can every other school send out invites/rejections on the same day- this is respectful and professional to applicants.  It is an anxious time for everyone involved and U of T is being very inconsiderate.

2) It is also unprofessional to send out invites less than 2 weeks before an interview, this is almost unheard of for professional schools.

3) Let's talk about the correct use of social media in medicine- it is not to announce invites/regrets.  Why would they post on their facebook page that invites are going out and that they are mostly for local or OOP applicants?  Clearly, someone at U of T has extra time or is not being productive.  The most professional and polite thing to do is personally email all applicants before going on facebook.

4) U of T is among the schools with the highest tuition and funding from the government.  There are countless admins in hospitals and in the med school.  Hire more people or ensure these people are being production so that the admissions process can be better facilitated. 

Someone should really be accountable for this.  If this is the way they run their med school- then people should really choose them last. 

Amen. I understand that this must be a busy time for them but that's still no excuse.  Every other school is able to notify their applicants in a timely and respectful manner. It's just plain unprofessional and inconsiderate what they're doing.  

UofT also has the 7 essays to evaluate, so perhaps that's why they're taking so long. I know McMaster's has the CASPer, but those are graded by first and second year medical students - not necessarily clinicians and staff.

Not exclusively by medical students - community members, physicians and staff mark CASPer too and I believe many different people participate in the scoring of your exam. And at Toronto, medical students participate in file review.

Anyway, that is not to say that their interview invitation process is inappropriate. Each school has their way of doings things and evaluating applicants. I understand the anxiety if this is your last hope for an interview, or if you were really banking on Toronto for whatever reason, but I think the school wouldn't purposely use its resources inefficiently to delay invitations. I'm sure they exercise integrity in the use of their available tools and the admissions timelines we experience are a product of necessity rather than deliberate purpose. I still appreciate Toronto for it's holistic evaluation.

Best of luck to those waiting and I hope you find a way to remain happy and healthy during. 

Maybe they did send out March 7th dates and we just haven't heard about it?

Possible. But I think coldpizzahotsriracha and I were both referring to friends from outside the forums who have interviews on the 8th. Add those two samples to the forum, where all posted have been on the 8th, and it seems likely that only March 8 interviews have been released so far (as weird as that seems).

@jon77

It takes a lot more time for universities to try to be holistic in their admissions process. Combing through whole applications and essays takes a lot more time than saying "sorry you didn't get 11 on verbal you're out of the running" or "sorry you didn't get 3.9 GPA you're out too" with arbitrary cut-offs. I got into toronto a few years ago and I appreciated that they took the time to read my whole application....which takes a lot of time. A lot of the admissions process involves tons and tons of med students and faculties volunteering their time to actually read your whole file and consider you as a whole person. You can prepare this whole time for interviews if you want - you don't have wait until invites come out to start prepping. You could start now or last month if you wanted. An alternative to sending out files as they are reviewed is to do all the interviews in april and make everyone (applicants, med students, faculty) take week days off to get everything done on time, but that is pushing it for time and not really realistic. Once you get into med school and see the other side of admissions you'll see that people are not sitting around napping with piles of applications scattered all around them. Also you are going to have to get used to this stressful waiting process because it happens again for residency applications (and is in some ways more stressful because you basically only have 1 application cycle to get into the specialty of your choice) and then you might have to do it again for fellowships or jobs. The waiting process sucks a lot especially if you have to apply a few years to get into med school. Whining and calling the school you want to attend a joke is a bit silly. If you looked it up online you would see that this is the process every single year so just don't apply if the school is such a joke and you don't want to attend.

Archived