Premed 101 Forums

Calgary Interview Discussion 2015

Sorry this is kind of a side note but for those of you who went to university of calgary, is there a website/program that tells you the grade averages for each course? For example, I want to know what students got in Biology 100 or something last year with a certain prof. Is there a way to do that?

Sorry this is kind of a side note but for those of you who went to university of calgary, is there a website/program that tells you the grade averages for each course? For example, I want to know what students got in Biology 100 or something last year with a certain prof. Is there a way to do that?

if you email the prof clearly stating that you're only interested in the course if they'll give you a high mark, i'm sure that will go over really well.

Can anyone shed some light on the difference between UofC and UofA in terms of their MMI style? I have heard that UofC’s MMI is more situational (scenario that does not necessarily require healthcare knowledge, then question about what would you do?) whereas UofA’s MMI requires more knowledge of healthcare, medical trends, etc. Thoughts?

If any current students who interviewed at both schools last year have any insight that would be most appreciated J

Thanks!

Dr walker said 15minutes or so in the webinar... I would arrive on site earlier but don't show up super early to registration.

I heard him say that too, but can anyone confirm that? I plan on showing up 10-15 mins before my scheduled time, which I assume is the registration time. Also, how long does it take to get to your first MMI station from the "scheduled time"? Like, if the time is 9:45 AM... do we start by 10? 10:30? 

U of A has the whole schedule outlined so neatly, but U of C is a complete mystery. 

I heard him say that too, but can anyone confirm that? I plan on showing up 10-15 mins before my scheduled time, which I assume is the registration time. Also, how long does it take to get to your first MMI station from the "scheduled time"? Like, if the time is 9:45 AM... do we start by 10? 10:30? 

U of A has the whole schedule outlined so neatly, but U of C is a complete mystery. 

You will be well taken care of when you arrive. There are signs all over the interior of the building to direct you towards registration. Everything after that point is obvious and quite comfortable. I arrived at 9 a.m. for my 9:45 a.m. start time. I was quite early and took the time to try and relax, use the washroom, etc. You could arrive 10-15 minutes prior to your start time and be completely fine.

The first year students were amazing and comfortable. It was greatly appreciated.

9:30 would be plenty of time.

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed on U of A it says we are not allowed to leave early. Was it the same way in Calgary? I did the MMI and left without going on the tour and stuff because I had a flight to catch but am now worried that I wasn't allowed to :/ I thought Dr. Walker said it wasn't compulsory. Can anyone confirm?

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm already anticipating I will not get an interview ( too young-21, and only in third year of my undergrad/ first application cycle) but I have a question for all the 'veterans' of the U of C application process: 

Weak portions of my application would be the science portions of my MCAT ( CARS  and  Soc/ Psych scores were both was 129) and my research. As usual, this summer I need to work FT, so I am trying to determine whether I spend my non work hours on research, or studying for and re writing the MCAT to up my science grades. I know I really I need to do both, but for the purposes of applying to U of C again in the upcoming cycle, I will only have been able to do one or the other and I'd really appreciate opinions on which U of C would weigh most heavily, MCAT sciences as part of the global assessment of academic merit, or research as past of the testament to scholarship. 

Thanks  to you all and good luck in your interviews!