Premed 101 Forums

Ottawa Interview Discussion 2015

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those who have interviewed for the English stream and were bilingual applicants, I wonder if you can share info re: how much French you will have to speak during the interview and what kind of questions you were asked in French. I can get by in French with my patients but in an interview I worry I will get lost for words or not be able to express myself as well as I would in English...

For those who have interviewed for the English stream and were bilingual applicants, I wonder if you can share info re: how much French you will have to speak during the interview and what kind of questions you were asked in French. I can get by in French with my patients but in an interview I worry I will get lost for words or not be able to express myself as well as I would in English...

From what I have heard (I am monolingual) they actually do expect a very high standard of French if you checked off bilingual...From what I have heard is that you should be able to answer any question in French that you would have been able to answer in English.

Everyone above 3.85 is not the same. Historically, Ottawa uses the term "You met our academic expectations" when rejecting applicants who meet the cut off but there is certainly a difference between a 3.85 and a 4.0

After interview, you're placed in interview score "brackets" and you're assorted in descending order according to your GPA in each bracket. Ottawa is historically known to take GPA very seriously and dropping the MCAT probably only made it worse.

From what I have heard (I am monolingual) they actually do expect a very high standard of French if you checked off bilingual...From what I have heard is that you should be able to answer any question in French that you would have been able to answer in English.

Can any bilingual applicant who has interviewed at Ottawa confirm that this is true? I checked off bilingual as well, but I definitely express myself better in English (my first language) than in French (which is my third) :| 

Can any bilingual applicant who has interviewed at Ottawa confirm that this is true? I checked off bilingual as well, but I definitely express myself better in English (my first language) than in French (which is my third) :| 

If you specified you can speak french, it is fair game for them to ask you a question in french and expect and answer in french. I said I could speak english ( applied to the french stream) and was asked a question in english ! Everything on you sketch is faire game !!

Sorry if this has already been answered conclusively, but just to double check... Interview questions based on your ABS could be taken from any of the 48 items, not just from the Top 3 in each? 

Correct

Yea I heard that also, they try to mix up the languages and if you are fluent in French then they'll go back to English. I don't think it's something to worry about if you are decent or average In French.

I have heard multiple times that they expect a very high standard. Not trying to scare anyone, just trying to give people an accurate idea of what to expect. I guess it could also depend on how nice your panel is feeling.

I was just reading over the Uottawa med website for interview prep and noticed this in the tab under "Selection Policies" when information is presented for offers of admission:

"All things being equal, preference will be given to those who have proficiency in both languages of the University."

What does this mean? If I were to infer as an outside party - I would say if wGPA, interview score and ABS is identical (similar ABS, probably not identical), the person who can speak English and French is given preference for admission. 

Is this actual practice? Can someone who is knowledgeable comment on this? 

Source: http://med.uottawa.ca/undergraduate/admissions/application-process/eligibility-requirements

I was just reading over the Uottawa med website for interview prep and noticed this in the tab under "Selection Policies" when information is presented for offers of admission:

"All things being equal, preference will be given to those who have proficiency in both languages of the University."

What does this mean? If I were to infer as an outside party - I would say if wGPA, interview score and ABS is identical (similar ABS, probably not identical), the person who can speak English and French is given preference for admission. 

Is this actual practice? Can someone who is knowledgeable comment on this? 

Source: http://med.uottawa.ca/undergraduate/admissions/application-process/eligibility-requirements

oh shiiiiit. for post-interview its wGPA + interview score for a score out of 8....this is probably a tie breaker for people with the same score out of 8

Come on guys, let's keep all discussion out of the stats thread. You can just copy/paste someone's stats post into this one if you want to talk about it. I won't be porting the posts over anymore- I'm just going to erase them if they're in the stats thread. It's a pretty simple request.

Correct

I have heard multiple times that they expect a very high standard. Not trying to scare anyone, just trying to give people an accurate idea of what to expect. I guess it could also depend on how nice your panel is feeling.

Are you sure about this? Their interview instructions say: "Only a copy of your one page autobiographic sketch of your application will be provided to the interviewers." It seems to me that the interviewers will only have knowledge of the top 15, however, it's wise to know all elements of your sketch, so you can talk about them for other questions where relevant. 

Are you sure about this? Their interview instructions say: "Only a copy of your one page autobiographic sketch of your application will be provided to the interviewers." It seems to me that the interviewers will only have knowledge of the top 15, however, it's wise to know all elements of your sketch, so you can talk about them for other questions where relevant. 

It's the entire sketch (just the titles of the activities though, which is why it fits on a single page)

Archived