Premed 101 Forums

Q&a With Mcgill Med Ambassadors

On 6/6/2017 at 3:21 PM, bellejolie said:

All the banks are offering subprime now - CIBC is only giving me $220K because of the fact that it's mcgill and tuition is cheap. Scotia is $200 and you can get them up to 275 if you ask - scotia def has the best credit cards in the game. Thinking about switching if CIBC can't offer me a better CC.

Also i'm 27 and starting med school - the only thing i'm worried about is when i might have babies..but then realized i probably need to find a partner to have the babies with first LOL. so in any case, don't worry about the age stuff! Just make sure your partner is sUPER supportive cuz getting through med school will be tough.

Think that those who signed previously (at prime) would be able to convince the bank to switch to subprime?

FYI for those harping on McGill's probatory status in the last little while:

"On Monday, June 12, the Committee on Accreditation of Canadian Medical Schools (CACMS) confirmed to McGill that the MDCM program is no longer on probation, effective immediately. As confirmed by the CACMS in its letter, the program remains accredited for an indeterminate term."

https://www.mcgill.ca/medicine/about/our-vision-mission-values/update-ugme-accreditation

On 6/16/2017 at 0:25 AM, medlife17 said:

Hi McGill med ambassadors! I was just accepted to McGill and I want to join the McGill medicine class of 2021 facebook group. I can't seem to "join community" when I try to join the group on facebook. Is my facebook not working or does someone have to add me for me to join? Thanks!

You have to make yourself affiliated to McGill community on facebook. Then request to join the mcgill med group and they will ask you to prove your acceptance

On 2017-6-16 at 0:25 AM, medlife17 said:

Hi McGill med ambassadors! I was just accepted to McGill and I want to join the McGill medicine class of 2021 facebook group. I can't seem to "join community" when I try to join the group on facebook. Is my facebook not working or does someone have to add me for me to join? Thanks!

If you're still having trouble, pm us your fb username and we'll make sure your class adds you.

• 1 month later...

What is the 'immunization card' that new students need to fill out. I already filled out the AFMC immunization form, is that sufficient?

I also got an email from UGME records dept. saying they didn't receive my immunization and CPR forms, but I already uploaded them to Minerva. Did this happen to anyone else?

7 hours ago, poppie said:

What is the 'immunization card' that new students need to fill out. I already filled out the AFMC immunization form, is that sufficient?

I also got an email from UGME records dept. saying they didn't receive my immunization and CPR forms, but I already uploaded them to Minerva. Did this happen to anyone else?

it did to me too - they sent a second email saying that it was a mistake though and that as long as you upload your stuff on minerva you're good 

Hey McGill Med Ambassadors,

Thanks so much for creating this page, as it is extremely helpful to have a peer helping us out. 

I have a couple of questions. I am planning to apply to McGill during this upcoming cycle. I am QC residents and working towards second degree. My GPA for first degree was 2.3, but currently I am sitting at cGPA of 4.0 during my second degree. I took 15 credits during the summer so I will be having 45 credits before application deadline. My questions are:

1. do adcoms discriminate against those with 2nd degree? someone told me at max 1-2 people (IP) with second degrees are accepted every year (granted I do not trust him very much)

2. How does course replacement for Sci Prereqs work? Would my advance level physiology course (4000) course be replaced in place of one of my bio courses? 

3. I have relatively low science GPA (~3.1), however if I retake couple of courses during fall I can probably go up to 3.4, would that help me should I get an interview?

4. Finally, I have done tons of research (Primary author in 2 papers published in Circulation (Impact factor ~14), wrote a book chapter, 2nd and 3rd author for about 4-5 other papers, 15 abstract presentation in national and international cardiovascular congresses), in addition to having a leadership positions and international volunteering. Considering all that and my 2nd degree GPA what do you think are my chances?

Thanks in advance

6 hours ago, cardiomed said:

Hey McGill Med Ambassadors,

Thanks so much for creating this page, as it is extremely helpful to have a peer helping us out. 

I have a couple of questions. I am planning to apply to McGill during this upcoming cycle. I am QC residents and working towards second degree. My GPA for first degree was 2.3, but currently I am sitting at cGPA of 4.0 during my second degree. I took 15 credits during the summer so I will be having 45 credits before application deadline. My questions are:

1. do adcoms discriminate against those with 2nd degree? someone told me at max 1-2 people (IP) with second degrees are accepted every year (granted I do not trust him very much)

2. How does course replacement for Sci Prereqs work? Would my advance level physiology course (4000) course be replaced in place of one of my bio courses? 

3. I have relatively low science GPA (~3.1), however if I retake couple of courses during fall I can probably go up to 3.4, would that help me should I get an interview?

4. Finally, I have done tons of research (Primary author in 2 papers published in Circulation (Impact factor ~14), wrote a book chapter, 2nd and 3rd author for about 4-5 other papers, 15 abstract presentation in national and international cardiovascular congresses), in addition to having a leadership positions and international volunteering. Considering all that and my 2nd degree GPA what do you think are my chances?

Thanks in advance

Hey, I'm not a McGill med ambassador but I recently got in and was actually in your exact situation (horrible first degree, great second degree):

1. They do not discriminate. Whoever told you that is completely wrong.

2. You have to email them to ask about it. I met with someone last year regarding a substitution after emailing them. It was for a bio course as well. 

3. It won't help you to get the interview, but it will help you post-interview. I have gotten rejected in the past with a good interview rank, but an abysmal prereq GPA (it was significantly lower than 3.1 though...but definitely try to boost it as much as possible)

4. They're good IMO! 

2 minutes ago, SunAndMoon said:

Hey, I'm not a McGill med ambassador but I recently got in and was actually in your exact situation (horrible first degree, great second degree):

1. They do not discriminate. Whoever told you that is completely wrong.

2. You have to email them to ask about it. I met with someone last year regarding a substitution after emailing them. It was for a bio course as well. 

3. It won't help you to get the interview, but it will help you post-interview. I have gotten rejected in the past with a good interview rank, but an abysmal prereq GPA (it was significantly lower than 3.1 though...but definitely try to boost it as much as possible)

4. They're good IMO! 

Wow thank you so much for the reply. It was amazing getting those feedbacks and most of all I want to congratulate you, it's a great achievement and hey, hopefully we may see each other next year :)  

i am planning to go down to admission office and sit fown with someone, good idea? 

6 hours ago, cardiomed said:

Wow thank you so much for the reply. It was amazing getting those feedbacks and most of all I want to congratulate you, it's a great achievement and hey, hopefully we may see each other next year :)  

i am planning to go down to admission office and sit fown with someone, good idea? 

Thank you :) I sent an email first...this is more than just a quick question so I suggest you start with that and lay it all out in writing.

Good luck!!!! 

1. Adcoms do not discriminate against 2nd degrees to our knowledge.

2. Course replacement questions should go directly to adcom; however if you have trouble getting an answer then let us know and we'll work to help you figure this out.

3. Increasing your science GPA will definitely help you compared to 3.1 since this is taken into account for acceptance into med school.

4. In applications it is important to have a story; research, leadership positions or international volunteering are not musts to get into medical school, but they do help us see that you have interests outside of school and McGill likes well-rounded individuals. As long as you are passionate about what you do, and truly understand why you want to go to medical school, then with your new GPA you should have decent chances of getting the interview. After the interview, your score from the MMIs takes over almost all of your application, as you probably already know.

Good luck!

My account on Minerva shows that I'm supposed to pay international fees, but I was admitted as a QC resident. Is this something that will be resolved prior to tuition being due, or do I need to get in touch with someone about this?

Also, will admissions get in touch with us to let us know about when/how to pay tuition?

1 minute ago, poppie said:

My account on Minerva shows that I'm supposed to pay international fees, but I was admitted as a QC resident. Is this something that will be resolved prior to tuition being due, or do I need to get in touch with someone about this?

Also, will admissions get in touch with us to let us know about when/how to pay tuition?

Admissions generally don't get in touch with you for tuition issues. Usually, McGill sends you an email telling you that you have x amount unpaid in your account. While it might self-resolve, to avoid delays, we would suggest getting in touch directly with Student Accounts to clarify the situation. 

9 minutes ago, McGillMedAmbassadors said:

Admissions generally don't get in touch with you for tuition issues. Usually, McGill sends you an email telling you that you have x amount unpaid in your account. While it might self-resolve, to avoid delays, we would suggest getting in touch directly with Student Accounts to clarify the situation. 

Thanks.

I was also wondering about study spaces on campus. Where do med students generally study? Are the good places in McIntyre? 

13 minutes ago, poppie said:

Thanks.

I was also wondering about study spaces on campus. Where do med students generally study? Are the good places in McIntyre? 

This really depends on personal preferences, some study in the many libraries available on campus, some of which are open 24/7 during exam seasons, others prefer coffee shops or simply the comfort of their own homes. Of note, the Osler Library of the History of Medicine located on 3rd floor McIntyre (building where you'll be having most of your 1st year classes) has recently been renovated, offers large and bright spaces where you can study/group study. The only thing about that library is that the hours are not great compared to some of the other libraries on campus.

2 hours ago, Manda8906 said:

Good afternoon,

I would like to know the maximum number of application allowed to medschool? 

Thank you,

Manda.

As in the number of times you can apply to med school or the number of applications you can submit per cycle? 

- No maximum amount of times you can try

- 1 application per applicant per cycle