Premed 101 Forums

Q&a With Mcgill Med Ambassadors

3 weeks...wow that's really fast! I wasn't aware of that. That means that we would have to accept their offer before hearing back from other schools though...

Which is awesome if we get in because we wouldn't have to call/write any other school to say that we're declining a previously accepted offer! :D

Which is awesome if we get in because we wouldn't have to call/write any other school to say that we're declining a previously accepted offer! :D

It's problematic though if you are waiting to hear from other schools as well before making your decision since most schools will not have a decision until May. 

It's problematic though if you are waiting to hear from other schools as well before making your decision since most schools will not have a decision until May.

So the way it worked last year was that even though you had to accept their offer and pay a 500$ deposit within an allotted period if time (10 days I beleive). The deposit was refindable until mid May (after other schools had sent out offers). So they are really very flexible. I'm pretty sure if you wish to withdraw even after that, the only penalty would be losing the deposit.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

It's written on the website of the faculty that the results are of the type pass/fail during the first two years. I was wondering: which grades are considered, then, by the CaRMS, as some residency programs allow a certain percentage to the grades obtained during the «pré-clinique»?

From my understanding, the pre-clerkship performance of the students would only form a small percentage of the overall evaluation of students for CaRMS. As such, despite our performance being simply recorded as pass/fail during the pre-clerkship years, the things that count the most come from our performance in clerkship, reference letters, etc., elements that are of superior importance for matching. McGill is definitely not the only faculty with the pass/fail policy, so I am sure the system works just fine across many medicine faculties across the country. 

How that works out for the faculties where the grades are externally reported though (some French schools do so I believe), I would be unable to comment on that. 

Hello Med Ambassadors,

I am hoping you can explain the difference between a task oriented station and a simulation station.

Thank you!

Task oriented: quite simply, this is a station where you are expected to accomplish a task within a limited amount of time. The task can be anything really (trust me, the MMIs can get pretty creative sometimes), but it generally is an ordinary exercise that the average person should be able to figure out. Keeping in mind that the MMIs are not there to test your clinical knowledge (that's what we learn in med school), I think that the difficulty that may arise within such a station is when a candidate blanks out in front of the task at hand due to anxiety and nervousness. My best advice would be to (try your best to) stay calm while attempting to work through the given problem one step at a time without getting too much ahead of yourself. 

Simulation: now, I am not sure if that is what you might be asking about, but if you are talking about the acting stations, I can tell you that those are the stations where you will be given a role within a scenario, and once you walk into the interview room, you will be required to interact with actor(s) in the room. Once again, the scenarios are very diversified, but they are also everyday life situations that you might even have already encountered from your own life experience. There shouldn't be any roles where you will be tested on your clinical judgment or method. From my experience, those are the stations where I had a really fun time: the actors are really well trained, and once I walked into the room, I had no time to be anybody but myself, which only served to bring more authenticity to the station. The acting stations tend to be pretty fast-paced, and the time is usually up before you know it! 

On a side note, feel free to check this out if you haven't already: http://www.mcgill.ca/files/caps/practice-mmi-stations.pdf 

Good luck on your MMIs!

What should we really wear for the MMI? I know there's some info on what NOT to wear on the link we were sent, but I'm not actually sure what would be the most appropriate to wear. The input from the Ambassadors on this matter would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance and good luck to all the candidates interviewing the next few days.

What should we really wear for the MMI? I know there's some info on what NOT to wear on the link we were sent, but I'm not actually sure what would be the most appropriate to wear. The input from the Ambassadors on this matter would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance and good luck to all the candidates interviewing the next few days.

Are you male or female?

When I did the interviews, men wore mostly just a shirt and pants. Few people wore suits (apparently CEGEP boys mostly wore suits). I don't know if it's different for the applicants from the other categories.

For women, it's variable, but just make sure you look professional, and avoid heels. Could be a suit, or just a shirt + pants, or some sort of 1 piece + jacket etc...

Just don't come in club attire and avoid colours that are too flashy.

Are you male or female?

When I did the interviews, men wore mostly just a shirt and pants. Few people wore suits (apparently CEGEP boys mostly wore suits). I don't know if it's different for the applicants from the other categories.

For women, it's variable, but just make sure you look professional, and avoid heels. Could be a suit, or just a shirt + pants, or some sort of 1 piece + jacket etc...

Male. Thanks for the help :)

Are you male or female?

Was this for McGill? 

I find it weird. I know for most med interviews you're normally expected to wear a suit and tie (for men) but the McGill website says that a suit is optional and a tie is not necessary. However, I also don't want to feel under-dressed. 

Just like Arztin said, if you are unsure about what to wear, I think that for med interviews it is best to go down the conservative way. As a general rule, make sure to wear something you are comfortable in, but I would avoid coming to the MMIs wearing t-shirts/jeans/sneakers. I know that this might seem obvious, but the MMIs generally are not a time to make a fashion statement, so do not wear anything with holes/big words (I remember seeing some during my interviews at other schools). They shouldn't make you do push-ups but you will be walking around between stations, and might be standing during some others, so dress shoes you can walk in are the way to go.

Men: some suited up and wore ties, which is completely fine, but you should feel right at home wearing dress shoes, dress pants and dress shirts. 

Women: dress (conservative, not too short), skirt, dress pants, blazer, dress shirt, blouse, office-appropriate sweaters are all fine. Just make sure it is not too revealing. As for the shoes, you can flats or heels, but make sure to keep the height of your heels reasonable, in a way that you are able to walk around/stand in them for an extended amount of time.

Good luck on your interviews!

Does it look bad if we glimpse at our watch a couple of times during the MMI?

From my experience, you will probably be so absorbed in the stations where you are interacting with someone - be it an interviewer/actor - that you will not realize the time passing, and for those stations, just try to interact with those people using your natural pace, no need for you to control the time. For other stations where you might be accomplishing some kind of task alone, feel free to do so if it will make you feel calmer and more in control :)