Premed 101 Forums

Q&a With Mcgill Med Ambassadors

1 hour ago, gomt4ng said:

Hello!

I was wondering if there's a way to know my rank on the waitlist, and to know if the waitlist is valid for which campus.

Thank you!

Your rank should be on Minerva if you look up your application. I'm assuming this is for medp, so for the campus it may also be written there on minerva together with your rank. The two campuses is a new thing so your best bet is to contact the admissions office directly if it is not on Minerva.

1 minute ago, DrtoBe97 said:

Your rank should be on Minerva if you look up your application. I'm assuming this is for medp, so for the campus it may also be written their on minerva together with your rank. The two campuses is a new thing so your best bet is to contact the admissions office directly if it is not on Minerva.

Thanks! And earlier it said i was waitlisted, but now it says "Devision release date: May 16"..... did anyone else get that too?

On 5/19/2019 at 10:59 AM, Domo2019 said:

Î’am waitlisted with bad ranking Sherbrooke and ulaval , i wonder i ´ll not be in this year! 

I want to Know, if i can apply next year to premed Mc gill if i have more  than 12 credits taken by the end of the fall? 

I believe you are not allowed to re-apply for Med-P once you have applied once and you started an undergrad degree. Best thing is to email the faculty. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/10/2019 at 3:02 PM, cardiomed said:

I second this post, is there anyway we could find out if we got a scholarship?

Hey, you should find out by email in August if you will receive a  merit-based entrance scholarship, and there is nothing to do until then. As for the needs-based scholarships, apply to that as soon as you can through the Minerva portal.

17 hours ago, YLA007 said:

Hey, you should find out by email in August if you will receive a  merit-based entrance scholarship, and there is nothing to do until then. As for the needs-based scholarships, apply to that as soon as you can through the Minerva portal.

Thanks so much! :) 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi! For the Med-P program, I was wondering if we are allowed to take the Italian course “ITAL 205D1 Italian for Beginners” if we did one Italian course in CEGEP as a complementary course (it was a really beginner class and since I took it more than one year ago, I honestly don’t remember a lot from the course).  

5 hours ago, Chipotle said:

Hi! For the Med-P program, I was wondering if we are allowed to take the Italian course “ITAL 205D1 Italian for Beginners” if we did one Italian course in CEGEP as a complementary course (it was a really beginner class and since I took it more than one year ago, I honestly don’t remember a lot from the course).  

Language courses at McGill will have some sort of testing in the first week of classes. If the instructor/TAs find that your level of the language is incompatible with the level of the class, they'll contact you and suggest you go up or down a level. 

On 7/2/2019 at 4:05 PM, HersheyQueen said:

Hey, does the TCP phase of McGill's curriculum purely take place within the hospitals? Do they prepare you well for clerkship? Do students generally find TCP to be one of McGill's strongpoints?

Hi!

Most of TCP will be either in outpatient clinic (peds and fam med for example) or in hospital for the rest. Most of the rotations are 2 weeks, except for IM which is about 6 weeks. You do get academic half days were students attend lectures. Those are usually held in hospital and sometimes on campus.

The goal of TCP is mainly to have you familiarize yourself with the hospital environment and get comfortable with completing a history and a physical as well as learning the basics about building a differential diagnosis. In most of your rotations you'll also learn how to write notes (progress, admission, consults) etc., which is high yield for med3/4. TCP is unique to McGill and allows for students to be better prepared to start clerkship; generally speaking, students tend to really like it and enjoy the experience.

Hope this helps! 

• 10 months later...
On 5/31/2020 at 1:14 PM, champagnepapi said:

Hi McGill MedAmbassadors,

Any news on how the Fall 2020 semester will be handled, given McGill is intending on proceeding primarily remotely? How will this affect lectures, small group sessions, clinical activities and on-site orientation?? 

Thank you! 

Hi there, 

At this time, there is a lot of uncertainly and we don't know much. It is likely to be primarily remotely and some clinical activities might be held in person but this is subject to many different factors. 

Make sure to keep up with the emails sent out by the faculty to stay in the loop! Congratulations on your admission and welcome to the McGill Medicine Fam! 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, 

I had a question in regards to Med-P programs within Quebec. I heard that although McGill is the only school that offers the program in English, many of the French universities, like UdeM, often assign English textbooks as well. I was wondering if anyone knew the exceptions French schools allow to Anglophones cause I occasionally. Thank you!

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I am really sorry for bothering but I would like to ask a question related to the number of ECs one does.

So I'm currently in an undergraduate program and hope to apply to the mdcm program in 2 years. 

Generally, how many ECs and what kind of ECs do the people accepted into mdcm from quebec universities have on their CV ?

Thank you very much

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/3/2020 at 2:16 PM, One_can_dream said:

Hello,

I am really sorry for bothering but I would like to ask a question related to the number of ECs one does.

So I'm currently in an undergraduate program and hope to apply to the mdcm program in 2 years. 

Generally, how many ECs and what kind of ECs do the people accepted into mdcm from quebec universities have on their CV ?

Thank you very much

I think any type of EC is perfectly ok. To be honest, what they are there for is to show that you have a passion about something and that you can tell them what it can help you with in the field of medicine. For example, you are in a debate team, well it will definitely help with critical thinking under pressure and communication. You can find the canmeds competency on Google to help you include the right keywords to put in the text to draw attention to your application.

The number of EC in the CV will depend on their importance for your application. I would say write everything on the CV, go over the limit of 2 pages and then go over everything and cut the least important everytime until you fit in the two pages. This will insure that you have the right number of EC and of everything else also. It doesn't matter if you write 3 lines of text or 8. As long as all the information is important for your application and to show canmeds competency I personally think it's ok. I know I have multiple lines of text per entry.

Also, while they are not Extracurricular activities per say, any research experience or clinical experience you can have (such as shadowing if you don't have any clinical experience from your job or internship from a university degree) will be a big plus because a lot of people have them. This is just my two cents.