Premed 101 Forums

On 5/25/2021 at 3:34 PM, mtlwatch2029 said:

Hey @McGillMedAmbassadors, I've got a question concerning CEGEP grades

I was a horrendous CEGEP student, and I failed something like 4(?) science classes. Average science R score was about 27 I think. A lot of reasons for this, but I don't think it's that relevant to discuss that. Of the prereqs, I failed Organic chem and a physics class. I passed them the second time around, so they are completed.

Currently I'm completing a BSc, and Im doing pretty well (3.8+ GPA at the moment) and I'm planning on applying for Fall 2023 provided by GPA holds up.

I know that McGill no longer weights prerequisite grades and only a passing grade of 60% for CEGEP grades is required (also I spoke to admissions and they confirmed to me that this change was permanent for a number of reasons) but I'm wondering if  there will be some kind of penalty attached to all those failed CEGEP prereq/classes (even if I did complete them)? Or am I just being paranoid?

Honestly I don't know what we would know that admissions wouldn't! So I wouldn't worry about what you can't know. Since you are doing a BSc, only that GPA will matter for admissions, and prereqs can be either from your CEGEP courses or your undergrad courses. 

Good luck!

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello everyone, Let us present ourselves: we are student ambassadors of McGill Medicine. Not too long ago, we were in the applicant seats and we sympathize with the anxiety that comes along with th

I know this was asked previously but I was just wondering if anyone heard anything about the incoming med class Facebook group? I know in the past it was usually created in mid-late April. Would be ni

Good luck to all the interviewees this week! Keep calm and believe in yourself.

Posted Images

hello, 

1. mcgill bsc grades have been inflated during the pandemic. for upcoming applications (for admission fall 2022), do you think undergrad cGPA 3.8 is competitive enough?

2. my first semester in undergrad was really bad. got 3.1 but the rest of the undergrad i have maintained a 4.0. should i apply for extenuating circumstance?

2 hours ago, lifesucks said:

hello, 

1. mcgill bsc grades have been inflated during the pandemic. for upcoming applications (for admission fall 2022), do you think undergrad cGPA 3.8 is competitive enough?

2. my first semester in undergrad was really bad. got 3.1 but the rest of the undergrad i have maintained a 4.0. should i apply for extenuating circumstance?

1. It's difficult to know how the pandemic will impact "competitive" GPAs. Average GPA invited for interviews for the last admission cycle was 3.89 for QC cohort, but average tells us nothing about spread. The average of successful applicants is around 3.8. This is all information available on their website though; I do not have any insider information.

2. I don't know the context of your first semester of undergrad, but if you experienced "serious medical or personal difficulties" during that time, you can choose to apply for extenuating circumstances. This will require "proof" (medical note, accident report, etc...) and an explanatory letter. https://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/applying/requirements/elements/extenuating-circumstances

11 hours ago, lifesucks said:

hello, 

I'm wondering, where did you hear that GPA's have been inflated due to the pandemic? Average interview is 3.89 vs last years 3.87. If that's what you're referring to its fairly minor.

McGill's average accepted are pretty much always in the 3.8 range; theres a lot of other stuff that goes into the application for McGill other than the GPA, so its not uncommon for applicants with lower GPA's to actually be better candidates. I've known people accepted with 3.7's, so there can be quite a bit of spread in terms of GPA's. McGill's not a school that views the GPA as a make or break aspect of an application (as evidenced by their selection process weighting), its obviously a very important factor but over 1/3 of of ones application isn't GPA related so there tends to be some variability.

It's always hard to say but if other aspects of your application are strong I don't really see any reason to think that a 3.8 this cycle would suddenly not be competitive.

An interesting thing to note is that the mode GPA for McGill actually pretty consistently decreases as applicants move through the selection process. If you look at last years statistics, you'll notice that the majority of applicants with 4.0 GPA's were actually rejected.

59 minutes ago, mtlwatch2029 said:

I'm wondering, where did you hear that GPA's have been inflated due to the pandemic? Average interview is 3.89 vs last years 3.87. If that's what you're referring to its fairly minor.

McGill's average accepted are pretty much always in the 3.8 range; theres a lot of other stuff that goes into the application for McGill other than the GPA, so its not uncommon for applicants with lower GPA's to actually be better candidates. I've known people accepted with 3.7's, so there can be quite a bit of spread in terms of GPA's. McGill's not a school that views the GPA as a make or break aspect of an application (as evidenced by their selection process weighting), its obviously a very important factor but over 1/3 of of ones application isn't GPA related so there tends to be some variability.

It's always hard to say but if other aspects of your application are strong I don't really see any reason to think that a 3.8 this cycle would suddenly not be competitive.

An interesting thing to note is that the mode GPA for McGill actually pretty consistently decreases as applicants move through the selection process. If you look at last years statistics, you'll notice that the majority of applicants with 4.0 GPA's were actually rejected.

The current cycle excludes winter 2020 grades so the 3.87 didn't include any online courses, but next cycle will include this current academic year where everything was online. We won't see the effects of online grade inflation till next cycle.

11 hours ago, fluffybunnyyyyy said:

The current cycle excludes winter 2020 grades so the 3.87 didn't include any online courses, but next cycle will include this current academic year where everything was online. We won't see the effects of online grade inflation till next cycle.

I think you might be mixing things up a bit. This year would be excluding the winter 2022 grades, as in the year with a 3.89 average interview. That’s obviously going to be inflating grades due to those classes being pass/fail. So that 3.89 from this years cycle is including that extra amount of pass/fail. Those applying during last years cycle, the 3.87 average cycle, wouldnt have been affected by the pandemic grade wise as the 60 credits they need would have been done prepandemic, only they’re last year would have been altered.

and again, I need to see actually evidence of grade inflation. It certainly hasn’t happened at my school (Concordia), I haven’t seen any indication that grades this past year would have been unusually inflated, perhaps even the contrary. It seems to be popular as of late to say that online classes will inflate grades, but I’ve yet to see that actually happen (it did in winter 2020 but that was a very different circumstance). If you do have evidence of this grade inflation I’d like to see it. 

28 minutes ago, mtlwatch2029 said:

and again, I need to see actually evidence of grade inflation. It certainly hasn’t happened at my school (Concordia), I haven’t seen any indication that grades this past year would have been unusually inflated, perhaps even the contrary. It seems to be popular as of late to say that online classes will inflate grades, but I’ve yet to see that actually happen (it did in winter 2020 but that was a very different circumstance). If you do have evidence of this grade inflation I’d like to see it. 

I’m not sure how introductory science courses generally are in terms of the class averages but I took bio 1 and 2 at McGill this last year to fulfil prereqs and the average for both was A, which is the highest since we don’t have A+. The exams weren’t proctored, they were open book for 72h but the questions were “harder” because you had to really understand the topic, but truthfully there was nothing stopping anyone from asking outside sources for help. But now at Concordia, I’m currently taking prereq science courses and they are proctored and I see a huge difference in terms of averages. So maybe it depends on the school in this case but I can for sure understand how grades will be higher for the upcoming cycle in some cases 

51 minutes ago, ceelbe said:

I’m not sure how introductory science courses generally are in terms of the class averages but I took bio 1 and 2 at McGill this last year to fulfil prereqs and the average for both was A, which is the highest since we don’t have A+. The exams weren’t proctored, they were open book for 72h but the questions were “harder” because you had to really understand the topic, but truthfully there was nothing stopping anyone from asking outside sources for help. But now at Concordia, I’m currently taking prereq science courses and they are proctored and I see a huge difference in terms of averages. So maybe it depends on the school in this case but I can for sure understand how grades will be higher for the upcoming cycle in some cases 

I totally get what you mean, I’ve experienced the same thing at Concordia. Some classes have obviously had inflated averages, others though have clearly had worse averages. One class I took that usually hovers around C average had an A average, where as another which is usually in the B range was in the C range even after massive curving (thank god for p/f).

You kinda just added to what I was saying. I haven’t seen any indication that there would be a systemic inflation of grades overall due to online schooling. Both your experience and my experience seem to indicate that it’s very inconsistent. So even if you may have take a class with an A average, there’s a very good chance some others might have averages worse than in a regular semester. Also generally speaking, at concordia the hard classes have still stayed hard and the easy classes have generally stayed easy. 

good thing for me at least is il only be applying in Fall 2022 and not the Fall 2021 cycle. So il have a year of “regular” school to even everything out.

also generally at concordia the intro bio classes are very easy, honestly they’re probably easier than they’re Cegep equivalents from what I’ve seen. 

On 6/14/2021 at 10:23 PM, MedStudent2330 said:

Hi,

1. Is there a calendar with school dates available ? I know I'm ahead but I'd like to plan for Christmas break with family.

2. I live far from campus, can we buy a semester long parking pass near !!McIntyre ? If so, where would the parking be located. 

Thank you !

1. There is, but I don't know where you could find that. Once you have access to myCourses (they set that up during orientation), there is access to a tentative schedule with dates, but until then I think your best bet is to contact the relevant admin for them to let you know!

2. I don't think there is special parking for med students, you would probably need to apply like any other student for a McGill parking pass (info here) or acquire a parking pass elsewhere in downtown, not affiliated to McGill. It does run quite pricey to park however... Try browsing the McGill redd*t page to see what others have said about it, since I don't drive personally. I don't know how far you are from campus or if you are from Montreal, but you could consider taking public transport, especially since students get a discounted 4 month pass.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello, 

I need to take a BIOL 111 equivalent class to fulfill my science pre-req. Would it matter to take the course at a CEGEP vs university? (I already graduated so I'm trying to choose where to take this one class!)

Thank you

2 hours ago, kamille said:

Hello, 

I need to take a BIOL 111 equivalent class to fulfill my science pre-req. Would it matter to take the course at a CEGEP vs university? (I already graduated so I'm trying to choose where to take this one class!)

Thank you

Hey! It doesn’t matter if you take it in cegep or uni, and on the McGill website it says that these are the equivalent courses for bio in cegep, with labs. So biol111 would be the first one :) cegep is much cheaper so always a nice option to save money lol just make sure it includes the lab

2D1B2936-2F2B-4DEA-ACCD-9D43D6D7E767.jpeg

Hello! When I first applied to nutrition at mcgill; i didn’t know there was a difference between dietetics and nutrition…

I knew later that nutrition doesn’t offer you a nutritionist title…

If i wanna have the title after doing nutrition , what should i do?

thanks!

• 1 month later...

Hello, 

I am a first year cegep science student! Around a month and a half ago I moved as a permanent resident in Quebec. In cegep I was told that I have to take 3 French courses in total to graduate, since I don't speak French. But today, after a meeting with an academic counsellor, I was told that I need to take 5 French courses. That means that I have to take the last one the summer after I graduate. Do I still have a chance to get into Med-P? She, also, told me that a note explaining my situation, would help. 

Thank you!

Maria

Hello,
I would like to know, as an applicant in the university category in Quebec, should 2 courses of human anatomy and physiology with laboratory (total of 6 credits) satisfy the 6 credit requirement of biology with laboratory? In my bachelor's degree these are the only biology 101 courses. 
I have already filled out a substitution form, but normally it takes how long before I get a return from the admissions office?
Thank you so much for your help!!!