Premed 101 Forums

Q&a With Mcgill Med Ambassadors

Please ignore my message below, someone helped point me in the right direction. :)

---

Hi Ambassadors, 

Wondering if you know where I can find out when classes begin in 2015. I am still on the waitlist but hopeful to get in. I have accepted an offer at another Canadian school and want to know how late I can wait. 

I looked through the website, googled, and even searched this forum but can't seem to find this piece of basic information! I found the start date for other programs but just not medicine. 

Thanks for your help!

Please ignore my message below, someone helped point me in the right direction. :)

---

Hi Ambassadors, 

Wondering if you know where I can find out when classes begin in 2015. I am still on the waitlist but hopeful to get in. I have accepted an offer at another Canadian school and want to know how late I can wait. 

I looked through the website, googled, and even searched this forum but can't seem to find this piece of basic information! I found the start date for other programs but just not medicine. 

Thanks for your help!

I don't know for sure.

Ask Anna Lee @ fmd.med@mcgill.ca

She is the coordinator for med1 at McGill.

Hi there, 

Would anyone be able to comment on how things are for OOP McGill students wanting to return to Ontario (originally from Ontario) for residency? I had a physician tell me that McGill trained students would be considered out of province, even if the student was from Ontario (which means it is much more competitive than for people who trained in an Ontario school). That struck me as odd. Help? 

Thanks very much

Hi there, 

Would anyone be able to comment on how things are for OOP McGill students wanting to return to Ontario (originally from Ontario) for residency? I had a physician tell me that McGill trained students would be considered out of province, even if the student was from Ontario (which means it is much more competitive than for people who trained in an Ontario school). That struck me as odd. Help? 

Thanks very much

The residency matching process does not discreminate according to OOP/IP status. If one wants to go back to school/province X... well one will do electives there and get to know the program director and the program of one's specialty of interest. Then, it does not really matter if one is OOP versus IP. It is all about if the residency program has an interest in your application, if you have an interest in the the residency program and if the interview goes well.

I just want to add that if you would like to pursue your residency in Ontario (or a specific city), it would be better if you attend medical school in that city.

It is not that each program favors heavily its own medical students. It's just that after 4 years of medical school, you probably have conducted research with preceptors in your specialty of research. Have shadowed some physicians (so face time before CaRMS). Also, completing your 2 years of clerkship of having core rotations in your home school means evaluations and reference letters from physicians whom the selection committee knows well. Just 2 cents. :)

If you look at the CaRMS statistics, most of the medical students stay in their home school or stay within the province.

The residency matching process does not discreminate according to OOP/IP status. If one wants to go back to school/province X... well one will do electives there and get to know the program director and the program of one's specialty of interest. Then, it does not really matter if one is OOP versus IP. It is all about if the residency program has an interest in your application, if you have an interest in the the residency program and if the interview goes well.

For booking electives, I am still confused with the AFMC portal.

Each medical school places its own students first for clinical electives. It happens to a few people I know who had electives booked, but got cancelled last minute by the coordinators. So if you know what you want to do for clinical electives, book early for out of school electives!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi ambassadors!

Thank you so much for all of your useful information. I am from the U.S. attending Binghamton University and I was interested in knowing how my chances of getting into McGill Med differ from a Canadian applicant? Would you consider them higher, lower or relatively the same?

Thanks!

Hi ambassadors!

Thank you so much for all of your useful information. I am from the U.S. attending Binghamton University and I was interested in knowing how my chances of getting into McGill Med differ from a Canadian applicant? Would you consider them higher, lower or relatively the same?

Thanks!

Your chances of being accepted at McGill as an American are considerably lower than someone from QC with in-province status. Almost all of the spots in the entering class are reserved for in-province students, with only a handful of very competitive applicants being accepted from other Canadian provinces and internationally each year. That being said, we had 3 Americans in our class - all of whom returned to the US for residency. One thing they may not tell you is that, if you are accepted to McGill med, you are only allowed to do your residency in QC or Newfoundland, or return to the US. for some reason the rest of Canada is off-limits. 

• 1 month later...

Dear Ambassadors,

Thank you for taking the time to answer our questions. Have a couple for you:

- Can a CEGEP course count towards the physiology component in the "Recommended Courses" section of the workbook? Not sure if CEGEP courses are considered to be "university level" courses, although U0s take similar courses.

- In the same vein, can an advanced, university-level physiology course (ex: 500) satisfy the requirement?

- Someone asked this question already in another thread and people offered their interpretations but maybe you guys have a concrete answer:

When they say "Candidates applying to the MDCM program who have completed the seven required prerequisite courses and who have also completed introductory level university courses in molecular biology, cell biology, mammalian physiology and organic chemistry will be evaluated on whichever of the two is the most favourable to the candidate.", do they mean a )  that either the avg GPA of the 7 prereqs OR  the avg GPA of the 4 univ level courses will be considered OR do they mean b ) they will look at the avg GPA of your 7 best classes (chosen from both the pre-req & recommended courses section)

Hope my questions are clear. Thank you guys very much.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I was wondering if you had any rules of thumb for deciding whether or not an applicant should submit their MCAT scores? For reference, my cGPA is 3.71 and I'm applying as an in-province student. I've written the MCAT 3 times, and my most recent score is on the new MCAT version: 

Total: 518 (97%) with breakdown of 

CP:130 (97%)

CARS: 129 (93%) 

B/B: 128 (87%) 

P/S: 131(98%)

I'm concerned with what McGill stated on its website "Competitive applicants tend not to have written the MCAT more than two times and have generally achieved a minimum overall numeric score of 30 (for 2014 version or earlier)." since this is my 3rd MCAT writing.

What are your thoughts? Would submitting my MCAT scores help my application?