Premed 101 Forums

Gpa To Get Into Nursing School

Mithrandir

So my gpa from my first degree is crap and I've decided to do a second undergrad. Ive gotten my heart so set on nursing because if I never get into med school I can still have a fulfilling career working in healthcare, get my masters and be an NP or go to PA school and be happy as a clam.

So anyways, I made an appointment to talk to the admissions at the uni where I live and he seemed to think my average was definitely on the low side for admission into their bscn program. (It's 76).

With a university degree I didn't think getting into nursing would be a problem but he said I was competing against highschool students with averages in the 80s (because high school is easy, my average coming out of high school was like an 87 but since I have post secondary grades I guess they won't look at my highschool marks:/ )

So I guess my question is, did anyone on here who got into nursing do it with a mid 70s average? Is it possible? What school did you attend.

, any advice would be amazing thanks

I've been interested in doing the accelerated nursing program at Queen's, which requires a 2.7 minimum GPA (B-). Note that the admissions average is probably much higher, but at least you'd be eligible provided that you complete the pre-reqs (1.0 credit in both psychology and physiology). I'm not sure about other programs, but I'm sure if you did some additional research, you could find other programs. I hope this helps! Best of luck!

Hey thanks for the info. That's a possibility for sure. Do you know if accelerated programs tend to look at last two years GPA or anything nice like that? My worst marks were in my first and second year:\

I'm not sure, I think they're all different. You might have the best luck with programs that have supplemental applications as well, since you're not judged solely on grades. The one I applied to only looks at your gpa, but the program at Mac has a supplemental application as well, I think.

Are you planning to apply by Feb 1?

I'm not sure, I think they're all different. You might have the best luck with programs that have supplemental applications as well, since you're not judged solely on grades. The one I applied to only looks at your gpa, but the program at Mac has a supplemental application as well, I think.

Are you planning to apply by Feb 1?

No, if I do an after-degree program i'll have to do the prereqs next year and apply next winter. My first degree was a humanities degree so I don't have a lot of the science requirements. The program I'm applying to this year is the full 4 year program but its compressed into 3 years. Doing a year of prereqs and 2 years of nursing would take the same amount of time anyways so I'd definitely consider that if I had a shot at getting in, but I thought the 2 year programs would be WAY more competitive :\

• 2 months later...

It is possible to have some success with a lower cGPA. I have recently been accepted to the Queens Advanced Standing Track program with a conditional offer that I maintain a cGPA above 2.7 and finish my current courses. My cGPA falls around a 3.15.  I am not sure if they took into account that my last two years my GPA was at 3.67 or just looked at my cGPA.  Queens does let you write a personal statement essay which consists of 4 or 5 questions where you can tell them a little more about yourself.  I honestly believe I was only accepted due to my EC's.  I have 5 years experience working part and full time in a retirement home during my undergrad, medical volunteering, volunteering in a research lab, among many others at my university.  If you have a lower GPA I would suggest bumping up your EC's as much as possible. 

I would also suggest applying to many schools, you honestly have no idea what each school is looking for.  I applied to the Trent compressed nursing program thinking it was the only one I would get into as it runs 3 years instead of 2, and I figured more students would prefer other schools over Trent.  I have only been accepted to Queens so far which was quite a surprise!

Archived