Premed 101 Forums

Applying To Ireland?

What are your EC's like? Your stats are pretty reasonable. MCAT a little borderline, but I suspect that if you are not getting interviews, the issue is with your EC's or the schools you are applying too (where are you IP - obviously Ontario is the worst as far as IP stats go). You say you are working on a Master's - any publications yet? Are you TA'ing? Are you getting good reference letters from faculty/PI? What sort of clinical experiences do you have?

I'd be extremely wary about going international if I were you. Easiest thing will be getting into a medical school abroad (Ireland included). Everything from there however will be a uphill battle (e.g., electives back in Canada, crushing debt, Canadian reference letters, excellence on board exams and med school, caRMS stress, AVP as a resident, etc...etc...). I think the prevailing wisdom around here is that you should be applying 5 times in Canada before you think about going abroad. Remember, the average for CMG's is 2.7, and for non-trads like yourself, probably 3+.

Keep plugging away - your stats say you are competitive enough for med.   

What are your EC's like? Your stats are pretty reasonable. MCAT a little borderline, but I suspect that if you are not getting interviews, the issue is with your EC's or the schools you are applying too (where are you IP - obviously Ontario is the worst as far as IP stats go). You say you are working on a Master's - any publications yet? Are you TA'ing? Are you getting good reference letters from faculty/PI? What sort of clinical experiences do you have?

I'd be extremely wary about going international if I were you. Easiest thing will be getting into a medical school abroad (Ireland included). Everything from there however will be a uphill battle (e.g., electives back in Canada, crushing debt, Canadian reference letters, excellence on board exams and med school, caRMS stress, AVP as a resident, etc...etc...). I think the prevailing wisdom around here is that you should be applying 5 times in Canada before you think about going abroad. Remember, the average for CMG's is 2.7, and for non-trads like yourself, probably 3+.

Keep plugging away - your stats say you are competitive enough for med.   

5 times is too extreme, I really only recommend 2-3 solid application seasons (meaning you are applying widely) before going abroad. I feel like going abroad after your 1st application season is a bit premature but it really depends on your goals. If your goal is family medicine it may be worth considering especially if you know you've done your absolute best and writing the MCAT again won't lead to a higher score.

A lot of people do forget that for every year you spend applying it is a lost year of income and that adds to the overall cost of the program. 

• 1 month later...

5 times is too extreme, I really only recommend 2-3 solid application seasons (meaning you are applying widely) before going abroad. I feel like going abroad after your 1st application season is a bit premature but it really depends on your goals. If your goal is family medicine it may be worth considering especially if you know you've done your absolute best and writing the MCAT again won't lead to a higher score.

A lot of people do forget that for every year you spend applying it is a lost year of income and that adds to the overall cost of the program. 

They key words here are SOLID applications.

Example: Applying as a 3rd year with a weak application, and then applying again as a 4th year with a somewhat ok application does not count as 2 solid attempts. I see so many peers do this, and then give up and go abroad.  "But I applied 2 times" - sure, they paid the application fees and threw in an app, but definitely didn't "apply" themselves when applying.  Pun intended.

• 2 weeks later...

i agree with ubc2012 - applying to US is better to apply to first before applying to abroad - you'll have a lot of problems when coming back to do residency if you go abroad

Key words, "coming back" - Shouldn't assume that everybody who goes abroad wants to come back to Canada. 

Key words, "coming back" - Shouldn't assume that everybody who goes abroad wants to come back to Canada.

For sure, but the vast majority do.

As well, there's no guarantee of being able to stay in a foreign country either without citizenship. Doable depending on circumstance but not guaranteed.

Risk mitigation all around

Archived