Premed 101 Forums

**Confused** By the AMCAS Grading System

Guest neoclee

Guest neoclee

Hi,

Im a Canadian (UofT) student and i find it somewhat confusing when trying to figure out my gpa standing among American Schools. Looking at the AAMC Conversion Table , Page 4 is what throws me off. UofT goes by the 'Numeric Canadian'. I'd want to know if thats what the American Schools will use as well OR will they be using the 'Numberic - Percent' system ? Thanks!:)

Enter your letter grades (not numeric) and put 0.5 or 1.0 as your course weight (you don't have to worry about converting into credit hours). I called AMCAS about converting courses to credit hours and they told me to just enter the course weight (0.5 or 1.0). Your AMCAS GPA will be the same as your UofT GPA. Im also a UofT student and my AMCAS GPA was the same as my UofT GPA.

Hope this helps.

Madz

Guest VwDubber

your amcas gpa will depend on the mark you received in the course and how much the course is weighted (ie. a first yr chem with lab comp. course will be weighted more than an english course because of the number of semester hourss).

i wouldn't leave it up to amcas to do the conversion b/c they handle A LOT of applications and in my opinion like most centralized application services, they are quite inefficient and there is a good chance they will screw up your app.

in general 1 lecture hour = 1 semester hour. 1 lab hour = 0.5 hour. So a typical chem course that has 1 hr lectures on mwf for a semester with a 3 hr lab component should be converted to 4.5 semester hours.

hope that helps !

------------------------------------

http://www.futuredoc.ca/forums

The Future Doc Network: A site dedicated to Canadian Applicants seeking admission to medical school in the United States

Guest ubcredfox

UBCStu: If you're wondering which one applies to UBC, it's the toughest one i.e. the first row. I was hoping for some slight leverage of the ol' GPA with some of the other scales, but nope, it's the toughest one. At least it was for me (I'm in this cycle)

A very good estimate (perhaps overestimate) of the GPA you'll see on your AMCAS is what you get from OMSAS (If you're also applying to Ontario).

Good luck.

Archived