Premed 101 Forums

Job Market And Starting Salary In Canada And Onatrio

• 4 months later...

Seems alright - I've seen everyone I know head directly into a position after finishing training. To have something lined up earlier than the final year of training (when a lot of job postings open up), you would need a stable group who could anticipate their needs in advance, and knew/liked you enough to commit early; or a group in a difficult-to-recruit-to location who thought you were a good prospect for the long term.

• 3 months later...

I don't know much about coming to Canada directly after an American residency, but you wouldn't be fully boarded under the new ABR exam at the end of your residency. I think anyone wanting to settle down in a country should really take a look at taking that country's exams (Royal College in this instance), as what is considered equivalent and acceptable from other countries could change at any time. 

Doing a fellowship near where you want to settle will make it easier to leverage connections and travel to meet people and interview. The main ways to start looking for jobs are to 1) respond to ads or 2) talk to people, preferably both.

Is it possible to get a job somewhere/anywhere in ontario/canada after a radiology residency in the US without fellowship? Do I have to be frcpc certified/eligible? Is it better to do a fellowship in the US or Canada? How would I go about looking for jobs?

as I understand it - and I am just now starting to really look into this as fellowships are shockingly coming out in less than a year now for me - is that you pretty much need a rad fellowship now to get a job at most places. Job market is tight right now - particular with the cuts no one is in a big hurry to add another mouth to feed. There is locum work of course which has been serving as a stop gap.

Thank you guys! Do body and msk fellowships have any success in canada or is IR, neuro and mammo always going to be better? I have a fellowship spot in the US but am wondering if I should still go for the canadian interviews and accept a spot if it comes along. Any input?

Where do I find radiology job/locum ads? They don't seem easy to come by online. Would I be able to work under supervision until I take the royal college exam? As of now I plan to take the royal college exam at the end of pgy 5 - june 17 but I have heard it is very challenging and only few US grads pass.

I am specifically interested in the Toronto/GTA/Ontario area. 

It's hard to predict need for fellowships this far out. Sometimes it just comes down to the particular need of a group - i.e. someone just left or will retire, etc. As I said, doing a fellowship near where you would like to work will make it easier to conduct a job search. Evidently, Ontario will offer more choices than just looking in GTA.

I do see positions posted online on a not infrequent basis. Wowjobs can trawl numerous sites for you at once. 

Working under supervision without full Royal College certification might be possible in more underserved provinces.

I'm not sure how it would work for someone who does not have even US certification though - check with CPSO:

http://www.cpso.on.ca/Policies-Publications/Policy/Pathway-3-%E2%80%93-U-S-or-Canadian-Medical-Degree-or-Doct

It's hard to predict need for fellowships this far out. Sometimes it just comes down to the particular need of a group - i.e. someone just left or will retire, etc. As I said, doing a fellowship near where you would like to work will make it easier to conduct a job search. Evidently, Ontario will offer more choices than just looking in GTA.

I do see positions posted online on a not infrequent basis. Wowjobs can trawl numerous sites for you at once. 

Working under supervision without full Royal College certification might be possible in more underserved provinces.

I'm not sure how it would work for someone who does not have even US certification though - check with CPSO:

http://www.cpso.on.ca/Policies-Publications/Policy/Pathway-3-%E2%80%93-U-S-or-Canadian-Medical-Degree-or-Doct

Thanks!

I hear there will be a reasonable demand for body and MSK, but I'm sure not as much as IR and mammo.

I don't know if it matters where you do your fellowship, Canada vs. US. For Canadian residents, I hear it doesn't matter where we go.

I'm sure you know it is very difficult to get a job in the GTA. I plan to be relatively flexible with location.

Archived