Premed 101 Forums

Writing The Usmle As A Resident

I'm wondering if there are any residents out here on PM101 who have written the USMLEs as a resident, and what your experiences were like (e.g. studying in between work, regular reading). When I was a med student, I didn't think that I wanted to do a fellowship in the US, but now reconsidering it as there are just so many more options down south compared to here in Canada. I kind of regret not writing the USMLEs when I was a med student. 

Any thoughts?

PGY-3 in a surgery program here.

Just passed Step 1 with an above than average mark.

It can be done, but it's way tougher than when you were MS2.

I only read First Aid book cover to cover and about 1200 questions from USMLEworld QBanks.

I am considering passing Step 2 CK this spring.

I wrote and studied for Step 1 as a PGY1, during moderately busy rotations.  It was not fun studying evenings and weekends, but definitely doable.  (Aside: I traveled the summer after MS2 instead of writing Step 1.  Even with the benefit of hindsight, I'd do the same thing again.)

This is just my 0.02 as an american medical graduate applying for carms. You can take your Step 2 before your Step 1 which alot of IMGs do.

Step 1 is basic sciences - mostly pathology and pathophysiology with physiology, biochem, genetics, statistics, neuro-science etc. It can be overwhelming if you haven't been in the loop for a while in basic sciences. You should definitely have at least 1 month of dedicated studying time. I'm sure if you spread it out over one year with USMLE-WORLD and First Aid you should be fine

Step 2 is more clinically related and I would take it first since it resembles MCCQE1

Main topics are all your clerkship core rotations - E.R., Family, Pediatrics, OBGYN, Neurology, Surgery, Psychiatry, etc. but mostly Internal Medicine which is not like the MCCQE1 where everything is equally weighted

Archived