Premed 101 Forums

Saba - Question About Returning To Canada

So I understand is is more difficult to come back to Canada going to a school like Saba. However I keep hearing of people who say they went to a school like Saba and are now back in Canada doing residency. I'd really like some clarification on this issue if anybody knows some real facts, thanks!

There are definitely examples of people successfully returning to Canada for residency from studying in the Caribbean at schools like SABA. There are also a lot of examples of people going to the Caribbean and not returning to Canada.

There are two main hurdles. First is not failing out. While Canadian schools have 99% pass rate, thanks to high admission standards, a reasonably good support network and a willingness to let students repeat years, Caribbean schools have no qualms about failing out students. At some schools, including SABA, the dropout rate is around 50%. 

The second hurdle is matching back to a Canadian residency program. It's hard to find hard numbers on the success rate for Canadian citizens from individual schools or region in prior years, but 50% is a reasonable estimate. That's low, but still about twice the rate for non-Canadian citizen IMG applicants. There are some nuances in those numbers which I won't get into, but combined that's about a 1 in 4 chance of becoming a resident in Canada after going to a Caribbean school, maybe a 1 in 3 chance once you factor in some of those nuances. Since there are a lot of Canadians going to schools like SABA each year, it's not uncommon to find a resident here who attended SABA. Yet, for every success story, there are a number of often untold stories that didn't end in success. People like to trumpet when they beat the odds, few speak up when they got beat by those same odds.

Two other points to keep in mind. First, many Canadian students in the Caribbean don't match to Canadian residencies, but do get a US residency. It's not that hard to come back to Canada after doing a US residency, though at that point you'll have been away from Canada for no less than 7 years. A reasonable option for some, but a significant sacrifice to become a Canadian physician. Secondly, the opportunities for Caribbean grads to match in either Canada or the US may be declining. For one, more IMGs (either Canadian citizens or otherwise) have been competing for spots, making matching that much more competitive. Competition from Canadian and US-trained grads for available spots is also increasing, as the number of residency positions fails to keep up with increasing numbers of graduates and, in the US, DO grads are now vying for MD residency programs. Lastly, as concerns rise that we may have an oversupply of physicians here in Canada, and since IMG residency spots are the easiest place to cut politically, the chances of matching back into Canada may decline even further. All told, last year saw a decline in the number of successful IMG applicants to Canada despite a record number of applicants, the first time in several years there was a reduction of the absolute number of IMGs starting their residency in Canada. 1 in 3 or 4 Canadians studying in Caribbean might match back right now, but that may not be true 4+ years from now.

Its not easy, I have met SABA residents as well, and it seems quite a popular school for Canadians. I think at the end of the day if you deserve to become a doctor you'll get in. I strongly recommend focusing on the US and Canada first before considering options abroad. SABA's greatest strength may be its low cost, but already UBC has changed guidelines not allowing Caribbean school students to do electives at UBC. 

That they should be a last resort like all other foreign schools, after Canada and the US, if you want to live and work in North America.

+1 

Irish schools are clearly not anyone's first choice, If you've tried 2-3 solid cycles of applications in Canada and the US or if your stats are clearly not conducive to Canada, its worth considering Ireland. I would choose Ireland over the Caribbean just because it is still a Commonwealth country training its own doctors etc. Ireland definitely > Caribbean for returning back to Canada and Ireland = Caribbean for the US although the Caribbean will likely give you more diversity in geographical preference. Ireland predominately matches in the US to the North East. 

+1 

Irish schools are clearly not anyone's first choice, If you've tried 2-3 solid cycles of applications in Canada and the US or if your stats are clearly not conducive to Canada, its worth considering Ireland. I would choose Ireland over the Caribbean just because it is still a Commonwealth country training its own doctors etc. Ireland definitely > Caribbean for returning back to Canada and Ireland = Caribbean for the US although the Caribbean will likely give you more diversity in geographical preference. Ireland predominately matches in the US to the North East. 

This.

Though I would say, once you leave Canada, your main option should be focusing on schools that have the best match outcomes/ scheduling for clinicals for the US match. The Canadian match should be an after thought if you leave Canada for med. I would recommend a strong carrib school in this last resort situation, as you do all your clinicals in the US. 

Irish schools from a non-residency perspective, are strong schools but for a Canadian/American looking to come back to NA for residency it is an unideal option to say the least.

Irish schools are just far too expensive, though if you're asking about going there you probably come from a wealthy family that can afford it. I've also heard that clerkship in Ireland + UK is more of an observer role compared to clinicals in the US or Canada, so the training isn't as good.

• 2 weeks later...

Irish schools are just far too expensive, though if you're asking about going there you probably come from a wealthy family that can afford it. I've also heard that clerkship in Ireland + UK is more of an observer role compared to clinicals in the US or Canada, so the training isn't as good.

While I can't confirm or deny that yet, I have heard that clinical training is more of an observer role, however I've also heard that its more self-directed and if you are keen you can be given the freedom to do things. Foundation doctors may even trust you with doing their jobs for them :P

Archived