Premed 101 Forums

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This feeling is like a kid waiting for Christmas, but you don't know what day Christmas is and you don't know if you were good or bad...

I would actually prefer if they just said okay from now on the release date is say march 20th, hell even march 25th. Then we at least know.. having to wonder if everyday will be the day for most of ma

I can tell you last year they were saying the exact same thing (nothing more concrete than "by the end of March") except for when an AAMS rep posted a few days into March, on this forum and on the Facebook group, that the adcom had indicated the snowstorms would likely delay the letters, which ended up being sent the morning of March 17th. This makes me think there's no reason to rule out this week, considering recent years have seen letters go out on the 5th, 7th, 11th, etc. and the weather's actually been quite nice in Halifax, contrary to this time last year.

This is speculation on my part based on what happened last year and what I've read about previous years, it could technically be the 31st as well. But probably not haha

I can tell you last year they were saying the exact same thing (nothing more concrete than "by the end of March") except for when an AAMS rep posted a few days into March, on this forum and on the Facebook group, that the adcom had indicated the snowstorms would likely delay the letters, which ended up being sent the morning of March 17th. This makes me think there's no reason to rule out this week, considering recent years have seen letters go out on the 5th, 7th, 11th, etc. and the weather's actually been quite nice in Halifax, contrary to this time last year.

This is speculation on my part based on what happened last year and what I've read about previous years, it could technically be the 31st as well. But probably not haha

^This

Since we haven't heard otherwise, it likely means they're close to finishing them up and could possibly send them out by the end of the week. I think at this point no news from the admissions office is good news.

How do we have 7 pages of this already... I've become everything I hate.

Haha! Honestly, though, I think this "neuroticism" is probably a large part of what got many of us (certainly me) this far. I think it adds to the drive to do our best in everything we do and results in our strong GPAs, MCATS, and ECs.

I think it's a 'take the bad with the good' situation.

On another note, what exactly does it take to not be a "Junior Member" on this forum anymore?

Haha! Honestly, though, I think this "neuroticism" is probably a large part of what got many of us (certainly me) this far. I think it adds to the drive to do our best in everything we do and results in our strong GPAs, MCATS, and ECs.

I think it's a 'take the bad with the good' situation.

Oh yeah, that comment was meant in the nicest way possible.  :) I'm actually so glad to have this outlet for my illogical babbling, otherwise the people around me (meaning non-premeds) would surely go insane. 

While I should be working on my papers, my neurotic self decided this would be better use of my time;) 

Year # Invited to MMI # Who Met NB resident criteria # Ranked Schools Accepted From # on Wait list 2010/2011 96 - - - - 2011/2012 96 61 61 - 25 2012/2013 96 72 72 UNBF(9), UNBSJ(8), Mirimichi (1) - 2013/2014 96 81 46 UNBF(18, UNBSJ(3) -

I got these numbers from the DMNB annual reports from past years, with the most recent for the 2013/2014 year. Here's the link: http://medicine.dal.ca/departments/core-units/DMNB/about/reports.html

They were not consistent with all the numbers or stats they provided from year to year so I'm not sure what the trend for the last couple of years would be. If anybody knows updated stats that would be awesome:) I'm wondering why only 46/81 were ranked for 2013/2014...don't know how to interpret??

Okay...now to try and focus on school work..wish me luck!

Year                  # invited to MMI           # met NB criteria           #Ranked         Schools from                                       # waitlist

2010/2011         96                                                                    

2011/2012         96                               61                                  61                                                                               25

2012/2013         96                               72                                  72                  UNBF (9), UNBSJ (8), Mirimichi (1)  

2013/1024         96                               81                                  46                   "    "   (8),  "   "     (3)

sorry...aren't I great with technology:(

Sorry if I'm having a complete brain fart, but what is meant by "# ranked"? Is this how many people were accepted?

Edit: wait, that makes no sense either...

I don't know what # ranked means? I just wrote what was in the reports...hoping someone out there might have some insight. There are 30 students a year in the class...that has remained static. I wish I knew what "ranked" meant??