Premed 101 Forums

Date Speculation

A friend of mine who is a year 2 med and who was on the interview committee told me she believes the letters will come out next week. She said two years ago, they got their letters on March 11th. They have just started their March Break and she believes the Admissions Office stays open during that time, and that's likely when they send out decision letters.

Goodluck everyone.... try to keep patiently waiting...

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had the most vivid dream last night that I received my acceptance letter. I called my family and friends to give them the news...Then flash forward and I was at the campus with all the other med 1s for orientation. I just need an answer....not even my dreams are safe;)!!!!!

I had the most vivid dream last night that I received my acceptance letter. I called my family and friends to give them the news...Then flash forward and I was at the campus with all the other med 1s for orientation. I just need an answer....not even my dreams are safe;)!!!!!

Are you serious???

I kid you not, I had a dream last night that I logged into the Dal application website and instead of "Incomplete Items Outstanding" it said "MD Accepted" like five times.

Are you serious???

I kid you not, I had a dream last night that I logged into the Dal application website and instead of "Incomplete Items Outstanding" it said "MD Accepted" like five times.

I had this exact same dream last week... I think we're all losing it! Only a little bit longer to wait hopefully

I know it's easier said than done, but try not to be scared. The anxiety and unknown sucks, I know it as well as any of us. But a revelation I had last week has made it so much easier to cope and it came by playing the "what if" game. The revelation was this: what if I don't get accepted to med school? I get a year off academically, I get to give my brain a rest, I get to pursue my hobbies and explore other avenues I never had time for working/schooling for 60-80 hours every week... and I'll try again next year. Frankly, thinking of it THAT way is soothing. What I'm not thinking of is trying to find work, starting to pay back 8 years of student loans, having to study and write the new MCAT again, etc. 

You had the interviews so you know you're already in the top 15% (ish) of applicants. Maybe it won't be this year, but if you want it bad enough, you'll get there. 

I offer you a virtual hot chocolate and homemade cookies along with a fluffy blanket to nest in.  :) *hugs*

Oh that's so cute! I know that it's not all doom and gloom if things don't work out...trust me I've experienced more than my share of crappy things happen in life. I'm older than most of my peers who are in this situation which makes me feel the stress of time...life is not a dress rehearsal...you get one chance to put on your best show, and I'm hoping that time is now. If for some reason I don't get in this cycle I will enjoy that mental rest, find work/research for the coming year and go at it strong next cycle! Thanks Js660327 for the kind words...and good luck!!!:)

Does anyone know how the acceptance decision letters read? I wonder if they start off differently than the rejection letters or if you need to read 2 sentences deep to find out the verdict. Trying to minimize even the tiniest bit of suspense!  :P

You may get:

Date

Name (ID), 

Congratulations! blah blah

Also, I read that many are checking the Decision status online.

I don't think it tells you much. Mine was incomplete item standing or something along those lines until the day of the results.

(unsure of when it changed afterwards as I stopped following it)

Good luck!

I know it's easier said than done, but try not to be scared. The anxiety and unknown sucks, I know it as well as any of us. But a revelation I had last week has made it so much easier to cope and it came by playing the "what if" game. The revelation was this: what if I don't get accepted to med school? I get a year off academically, I get to give my brain a rest, I get to pursue my hobbies and explore other avenues I never had time for working/schooling for 60-80 hours every week... and I'll try again next year. Frankly, thinking of it THAT way is soothing. What I'm not thinking of is trying to find work, starting to pay back 8 years of student loans, having to study and write the new MCAT again, etc. 

You had the interviews so you know you're already in the top 15% (ish) of applicants. Maybe it won't be this year, but if you want it bad enough, you'll get there. 

I offer you a virtual hot chocolate and homemade cookies along with a fluffy blanket to nest in.  :) *hugs*

This is so my plan too, and I've learned its incredibly common! 

It really sunk in this weekend for me, I was interviewing at another school and I realized I was the only current 4th yr in my circuit. Everyone else was working post-grad for a year, finishing a masters, etc. I was super intimated talking to them. You could just tell these people were very bright, motivated, and highly accomplished individuals who had all applied and either not gotten interviews or acceptances the year before. But they will make amazing physicians I'm sure. So if that's me next year, I've realized it's nothing to be embarrassed about because there are literally just way to many qualified people for the number of seats, and just because it's not my year doesn't mean I couldn't be a good doctor in the future

This is so my plan too, and I've learned its incredibly common! 

It really sunk in this weekend for me, I was interviewing at another school and I realized I was the only current 4th yr in my circuit. Everyone else was working post-grad for a year, finishing a masters, etc. I was super intimated talking to them. You could just tell these people were very bright, motivated, and highly accomplished individuals who had all applied and either not gotten interviews or acceptances the year before. But they will make amazing physicians I'm sure. So if that's me next year, I've realized it's nothing to be embarrassed about because there are literally just way to many qualified people for the number of seats, and just because it's not my year doesn't mean I couldn't be a good doctor in the future

Having the year also gives you the opportunity to experience so many things, without the burden of school work. This past year I moved back to my hometown, which is much smaller than the city I was living in, and had many more opportunities for volunteering because there were just fewer people applying. I was able to volunteer in my local hospital in the ER, a nursing home, and get a job in the field I studied during undergrad. Such valuable experiences that helped to affirm that medicine is the path for me.  

Since this is very likely going to be the week we've been waiting for for years, I just wanted to say that I am honestly wishing all of you the best of luck once those emails finally reach your inboxes. The atmosphere in this thread has done wonders for calming my nerves, and it's made me even more excited at the prospect of being your classmate should that email find its way to me as well. :)

You've all worked so hard to get here! It's just a matter of days/hours now.

Likewise  :) I sincerely hope I get to meet you in person because your comments the last week have been huge source of morale between not knowing if I'll be accepted and going through my "hell week". I'm crossing my fingers for everyone here and if I don't see you in August, I'll see you down the road  :D

Archived