Premed 101 Forums

Foreign Schools And Clerkships In Canada

Does anyone know of ANY schools outside Canada that have partnerships or somehow allow students to complete electives with hospitals in Canada? or allow students to arrange clerkships in Canada on their own? Just wondering when going to a foreign school if it is possible to arrange for doing several weeks or even months at a time back in Canada.

Many foreign schools outside of Canada, are able to do electives in Canada. So to answer you later question - yes you can arrange with Canadian schools for some electives, it is generally a lottery system and also depends on your schools policies.

NONE, AFAIK(except one specific school tied with USASK that I can't remember..) allow you, or enable you to do CORE rotations in Canada.

Actually there is one school that does allow you to do 4 months of electives with UofA. Its the university of st andrews and university of edinburgh joint program, but its 6 years long and I believe mainly geared towards high school students. 

Generally though you can arrange electives on your own without too much problem, at least so far most people who have tried to arrange electives have been able to get them somewhere. I heard for those from BC that UBC only accepts electives now from students attending US, UK, Ireland, NZ and Aus schools. http://mdprogram.med.ubc.ca/visiting-student-elective-program/eligibility-criteria/ Crucially schools in Israel, Poland, Italy and the Caribbean are not included. 

Archived