Premed 101 Forums

Interview Invites Vs Offers Of Admission

Hmm, really? Not even one that showed how many interview invites they send? They only one that is publshed in the omsas guide is U of T (something like 570 interviews for 240ish spots), but I could have sworn we had some other ones. For example, I recall seeing that Queens had the worst odds (around 500 interviews for 100 spots) while Westerns was much better (around 470 interviews for 170 spots). Or am I just making these numbers up haha

OMSAS has this document which gives you the number of applicants to each school and their target class size: http://www.ouac.on.ca/docs/omsas/b_omsas_e.pdf (p. 15)

As for interview invites, I know the following numbers from this cycle (with % accepted post-interview in brackets based on the OMSAS document):

UofT: 600 (43%)

McMaster's: 552 (37%)

Queen's: 468 (21%)

Ottawa: 575 (29%)

Hope this is what you're looking for!

Edit: This does not account for the fact that schools will invite more people than their target class because not everyone they invite will accept their offer.

OMSAS has this document which gives you the number of applicants to each school and their target class size: http://www.ouac.on.ca/docs/omsas/b_omsas_e.pdf (p. 15)

As for interview invites, I know the following numbers from this cycle (with % accepted post-interview in brackets based on the OMSAS document):

UofT: 600 (43%)

McMaster's: 552 (37%)

Queen's: 468 (21%)

Ottawa: 575 (29%)

Hope this is what you're looking for!

Edit: This does not account for the fact that schools will invite more people than their target class because not everyone they invite will accept their offer.

Very misleading, because most schools offer a lot more spots than they have, AND people often drop off wait lists before they are offered at one place because they took another offer.

Lets hypothetically look at McMaster, which overlaps with a lot of students that go to Toronto.  202 are offered immediately.  Maybe 60 of them choose Toronto or other schools...so another 60 offers are made.  But many of those in the top 262, but on the wait list, got in elsewhere and might be forced to choose to go there.  So in the end the top 300 or so will get an offer of some sort, if they don't choose another school.  So close to 60%, if not higher.   I believe Western is similar, and historically Queen's too.  So the odds are not that bad at all if you get an interview (though queen's does seem to be worst).

Very misleading, because most schools offer a lot more spots than they have, AND people often drop off wait lists before they are offered at one place because they took another offer.

Lets hypothetically look at McMaster, which overlaps with a lot of students that go to Toronto.  202 are offered immediately.  Maybe 60 of them choose Toronto or other schools...so another 60 offers are made.  But many of those in the top 262, but on the wait list, got in elsewhere and might be forced to choose to go there.  So in the end the top 300 or so will get an offer of some sort, if they don't choose another school.  So close to 60%, if not higher.   I believe Western is similar, and historically Queen's too.  So the odds are not that bad at all if you get an interview (though queen's does seem to be worst).

Oh yeah, and I also found legit stats for what you mention here but for UofT: http://www.md.utoronto.ca/Assets/FacMed+Digital+Assets/Undergraduate+Medicine+Education+MD+Program/Vice+Dean+UME/UME+Annual+Report.pdf?method=1 (p. 11)

In both of the years listed, the post interview acceptance rate is closer to 57% to account for the fact that approx. 20% of people reject their UofT offer to go else where.

Oh yeah, and I also found legit stats for what you mention here but for UofT: http://www.md.utoronto.ca/Assets/FacMed+Digital+Assets/Undergraduate+Medicine+Education+MD+Program/Vice+Dean+UME/UME+Annual+Report.pdf?method=1 (p. 11)

In both of the years listed, the post interview acceptance rate is closer to 57% to account for the fact that approx. 20% of people reject their UofT offer to go else where.

Hmm, wasn't aware that UofT posts the number of offers

Hmm, wasn't aware that UofT posts the number of offers

Best part of that page is how they only review 1600/3000ish applications. Makes me wonder what happens to the other half : P

I suspect because of flagged MCAT, missing pre-reqs, missed GPA cut-offs, incomplete applications, missing references, etc. But the fact that they only review little over half of the applications they receive is kind of shocking.

I recall that in 2008/9 Queens made 196 offers for 100 spots. Because Queens have no geographical preference, they might accept a lot of people who choose their IP school, which is why they interview so many. I would say its closer to 50% for most schools including Mac.

In 2008/9 McMaster had a 70% matriculation rate so if you extend that to today it would be around 291 offers +/- a few. 

I recall that in 2008/9 Queens made 196 offers for 100 spots. Because Queens have no geographical preference, they might accept a lot of people who choose their IP school, which is why they interview so many. I would say its closer to 50% for most schools including Mac.

In 2008/9 McMaster had a 70% matriculation rate so if you extend that to today it would be around 291 offers +/- a few. 

Those stats for Queen's are probably out of date - back then Queen's was less desirable as a program, but they went through a fairly substantial overhaul. I'd be very surprised if they had to invite anywhere near that number in the past few years, they've got a very attractive program right now.

Archived