Premed 101 Forums

Urgent Need Of Advice (Interesting Situation)

torontototo

Long story here but I'm in serious need of advice so please give it a read.

My first year I was a directionless student finishing with poor grades. Early second year I decided to work towards a future in medicine and improved my grades considerably. Took my MCAT after second year and got PS 12 VR 10 BS 14. Moving forward I really picked it up in my third year. My fourth year was marred by some fairly serious personal issues and my marks fell in between those of my second and third year marks. My first application cycle I only applied to Ontario schools and received an interview at Queen’s. I was waitlisted and was never taken off the list. Since graduating, I reapplied and took on some new ECs but didn’t return to school. I applied to Ontario schools again, and added dal, and memorial to the list. I got no interviews outside of Ontario and long story short was informed that OMSAS never got one of my reference letters even though I had confirmations from out of province schools that the same letter had been received. I got a new reference in asap but was informed by most Ontario schools that it was too late (it was after the deadline). Queens told me my new letter had been attached to my application but couldn't confirm that my application would be valid for this cycle. I have received rejections from every Ontario school so far except for U of T who had assured me that my application would not be considered. So as of now I am out of luck and extremely unsure of how to proceed. Let me summarize my relevant information:

MCAT: PS-12/VR-10/BS-14 (written in July 2012)

First Application  (September 2013)

GPA: 3.677/4.0

wGPA (Queens): 3.805/4.0

wGPA (Toronto): 3.888/4.0

wGPA (Ottawa): 3.758/4.0

ECs: Provincial athlete until 2nd year and intramural sports. Executive for large university charity organization. Volunteer tutoring for Aboriginal students society. Professional teaching (GChem portion of MCAT course for the Princeton Review). Various customer service jobs. Shadowed a family doctor in August 2012.

Applied to Ontario Schools. Very late rejection from Toronto. Interviewed at Queens then waitlisted.

Second Application (September 2014)

GPA: 3.7/4.0

wGPA (Queens): 3.840/4.0

wGPA (Toronto): 3.875/4.0

wGPA (Ottawa): 3.763/4.0

ECs: (In addition to everything the previous year). Clinical volunteer work at Princess Margaret Hospital. Volunteer research assistant at Baycrest Hospital. Professional tutoring. Men’s league athletics.

Applied to Ontario Schools, dal, and memorial. Although references were confirmed by out of province schools, OMSAS did not receive one of my references and a new reference was submitted after the deadline. No interviews.

Now I am extremely conflicted. I don’t know if the lack of positive responses from Ontario can be attributed to the situation with the reference letter or to my merit as an applicant. I do not know if I should keep working to significantly improve my EC’s or if I should pursue some sort of graduate work (I’ve found some programs with open applications for this fall). I also don’t know if I should be thinking about rewriting my MCAT in order to become eligible at western, calgary, and alberta.

The way I see it I have two options. I can apply for grad work right now (there is a 16 month  program I am considering, which is not research based). Or I could continue with my various volunteer roles, add even more ECs to them, and then apply to med schools and grad programs for 2016 admission.

Basically I am asking which path you think I should take and whether or not you think I should rewrite my MCAT. I don’t have a ton of interest in the masters, but worry that I need it.

I would greatly appreciate any thoughts or suggestions so please let me know what you think!

And please feel free to ask any questions.

There is no appeals process with OMSAS? That is a bad situation to be in.

I would just keep up the ECs, and get a interesting job and reapply next year. You're clearly in the running with your stats and ECs to get interviews. So jumping into a grad program unnecessarily would be a waste of money, time and effort.

Maybe take the new mcat if your current one expires / or if schools no longer take it when you reapply.

Just have to recognize that there are about 5000 or more applicants. You are not the only one with stellar credentials.

There are people applying who have MSc or PhD, who have your grades + published materials/articles + one of my friend's authored a book + real clinical work experience (e.g. non-trads who work as nurses, RTs etc who then apply after a couple years of work).

Of the 5000 applicants, maybe 1/10th get interviewed...do you really think only 1/10th have the credentials to get an interview? The schools never said that ALL who meet credentials get interviewed.

It's basically a lottery in Canada (plus I've heard some stories of "who you know" to help you out).

While your post has a lot of merits, it was mostly off topic to the OP's post....

There is no appeals process with OMSAS? That is a bad situation to be in.

I would just keep up the ECs, and get a interesting job and reapply next year. You're clearly in the running with your stats and ECs to get interviews. So jumping into a grad program unnecessarily would be a waste of money, time and effort.

Maybe take the new mcat if your current one expires / or if schools no longer take it when you reapply.

"Or I could continue with my various volunteer roles, add even more ECs to them, and then apply to med schools and grad programs for 2016 admission."

This x1000.

Thanks ubc2012, I really appreciate your input. There isn't an appeal process within OMSAS because they don't set the deadlines, each school does. So when I submitted a new reference OMSAS forwarded it to the schools, and it was too late for their deadlines. Some of them had appeal processes but my various appeals were denied, with the exception of Queen's who gave me a very ambiguous reply. As well, my MCATs should be fine to reapply but western, u of a, and calgary all require VR 11, so I would rewrite to become eligible.

I think your credentials are great btw. I think next cycle apply to the US and you will see some interviews.

Thanks, my issue with applying to the states is that the academic reference I used (my other references came from an employer and a volunteer supervisor) won't write references to the states for some reason. As well, from the limited research I did on applying to the states, most schools want 2-3 academic references. I didn't have relationships with most of my profs and with my main academic reference being unwilling to write references for the states I'm not sure how I would meet the reference letter requirments.

Thanks, my issue with applying to the states is that the academic reference I used (my other references came from an employer and a volunteer supervisor) won't write references to the states for some reason. As well, from the limited research I did on applying to the states, most schools want 2-3 academic references. I didn't have relationships with most of my profs and with my main academic reference being unwilling to write references for the states I'm not sure how I would meet the reference letter requirments.

Generally speaking for the US, you'll want 2 science faculty 1 non science faculty and 1 DR letter to cover all bases.

Befirend a few profs and let them know that you need LORs, even generic ones, and im sure you can get a snag.

But regardless of that, you have a strong shot in Canada anyways -barring any future LOR mishaps. It goes to show that being on the ball with LORS can mess up an application :( Sorry it happened to you, but im sure it will work out next year!

Archived